Uh oh. Nausea from fragrance. Advice?

glasllyn

Weekend before last, something similar happened to me. I have mild allergies that usually don't cause many problems. But with all the fragrance oils and sniffing them, etc, the next day (sunday) I was so extremely dizzy (vertigo) and nauseous, I literally could not get out of bed or turn my head. I was forced to stay immobile the entire day. No moving, no food, nothing.  It was some sort of ear thing exacerbated by allerigies/sinus caused by too much scent in the air.

Fortunately it passed and in a day or two and I was fine, mostly. But.. for me.. I'm going to have to be extremely careful and keep windows open, and perhaps fans. And limit my sample sniffing, especially florals. And when I feel any sort of allergic reaction (sniffling, sneezing...), stop and leave the room.

Fortunately it's just a hobby for me, cuz I can see having to stop, ...and I wouldn't like that.

Edited by Incendia
  • Like 1

I'm going through that right now.  Yesterday morning I got up at 2:30 in the morning and started making candles and quit last night about 9:00.  so 19 hours of pouring and last evening I got sick to my stomach, got a very bad headache (and I never get a headache) and eyes watering....just aweful.  I took a couple advil and was up again this morning at 3:00 and am going right now to town so another 6 hours of candles and my throat is sore and Im coughing big time.  I'm going to go and buy a mask at ACE right now.  So I feel for you all!

Trappeur

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I'm going through that right now.  Yesterday morning I got up at 2:30 in the morning and started making candles and quit last night about 9:00.  so 19 hours of pouring and last evening I got sick to my stomach, got a very bad headache (and I never get a headache) and eyes watering....just aweful.  I took a couple advil and was up again this morning at 3:00 and am going right now to town so another 6 hours of candles and my throat is sore and Im coughing big time.  I'm going to go and buy a mask at ACE right now.  So I feel for you all!

Trappeur

Oh my gosh how do you get up so early?!  Productive!  Sorry you haven't been feeling well, either.  A mask sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

I've been getting a sore throat, too. Clearly, we're not supposed to be inhaling these chemicals. I'm wondering if a simple mask will suffice. Hopefully, I won't need an industrial particulate mask! Please let me know how your mask works!

1 hour ago, glasllyn said:

I'm getting nauseous and having a runny nose while working with fragrance oils. My windows are all open. This is a pretty big problem, I'd say. Please tell me there's a solution! 

One word: respirator.

Buy one, wear it when you work with fragrance oils. There are several that actually give me a stomach ache and diarhea, headaches, etc.

If you don't have a respirator don't lean over your pot when you are stirring in your fragrance. Its a bad habit a lot of candlmakers have and over the years can lead to respiratory illness. Ask me how I know.

FOs are very potent and should not be inhaled or ingested. A respirator will fix the problem and keep your lungs clean.

• Like 7

Ehatch I'm beginning to wonder 

the same thing. But it does make 

you wonder about how safe it is. 

Last week I was pouring some scents I wanted to test for Mother's Day & same thing, got 

sick to my stomach + coughing 

like crazy with a bad headache ? 

I think I'll invest in a ? too 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Candybee said:

One word: respirator.

Buy one, wear it when you work with fragrance oils. There are several that actually give me a stomach ache and diarhea, headaches, etc.

If you don't have a respirator don't lean over your pot when you are stirring in your fragrance. Its a bad habit a lot of candlmakers have and over the years can lead to respiratory illness. Ask me how I know.

FOs are very potent and should not be inhaled or ingested. A respirator will fix the problem and keep your lungs clean.

Can you link me to the respirator you use, Candybee? (such a cute name, btw)

Also, how do you ever smell anything?!

Edited by glasllyn
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, glasllyn said:

Can you link me to the respirator you use, Candybee? (such a cute name, btw)

You can check on places like your local hardware store, Lowes Home Improvement, Amazon. Just look for ones that are good for protection against vapors. I have one by the 3M company I bought at Lowes several years ago. I wear it when I make candles and when I am working with mixing my lye for soapmaking. Keeps all the vapors from going into my nose, mouth, and lungs.

I got one because over the years making candles I started getting a cough like a smokers cough. I also heard about a candlemaker who was a member of this board, that had been making candles for about 5 yrs when she developed some lung disease. A respirator could have helped her.

I can't stress how strong FOs are and that you should not be inhaling them directly. That is what happens when you open the bottle to smell, when you are mixing it in your wax, etc. You inhale those vapors and it goes straight to your lungs where it can cause serious damage over the years.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

That looks exactly like the one I have. Must be because mine is NIOSH approved also. Mine cost me about $35-$45 at Lowes. Its been so long ago I don't remember. I just remember the sales person telling me buying replacement filters would cost about $25. Haven't bought any yet as the filters I have still work. Maybe because I use the respirator for only those periods when I make candles & lye solution so I am not wearing it 24/7 eight days a week like some jobs.

• Like 1

You know....I didn't connect this at the time but I just recently came off of a cycle of cluster headaches. Never got them before and was actually afraid that I had a brain tumor at first, before I found out what it was. 

Idk if you guys ever experience clusters but they are nicknamed the suicide headaches. On my affected side, that eye would water and that side of my nose would run, followed by the most horrific pain ever and I say this as someone who had two childbirths with no epidural or anything.

I was really amping up my candle making prior to that...I'm now wondering if that served as a trigger ? The cycle lasted a few weeks, I was lucky...they last months for some.

Hopefully we all get this sorted. I hope that you guys having headaches get much better very soon ! 

Edited by WaxingPoetic
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, WaxingPoetic said:

You know....I didn't connect this at the time but I just recently came off of a cycle of cluster headaches. Never got them before and was actually afraid that I had a brain tumor at first, before I found out what it was. 

Idk if you guys ever experience clusters but they are nicknamed the suicide headaches. On my affected side, that eye would water and that side of my nose would run, followed by the most horrific pain ever and I say this as someone who had two childbirths with no epidural or anything.

I was really amping up my candle making prior to that...I'm now wondering if that served as a trigger ? The cycle lasted a few weeks, I was lucky...they last months for some.

Hopefully we all get this sorted. I hope that you guys having headaches get much better very soon ! 

I wouldn't doubt it for a second. I don't get clusters, but I've had migraines, and those can be triggered by random things. Get that respirator! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glasllyn said:

I wouldn't doubt it for a second. I don't get clusters, but I've had migraines, and those can be triggered by random things. Get that respirator! 

I will look into that ! Omg I feel for you, I have been plagued by migraines since childhood too, they are no walk in the park !

• Like 1

Personal protective equipment, always. Including a cartridge respirator rated for chemical vapors and gloves.

And look into machines to clear the VOCs from your air. Look into an exhaust vent like a commercial kitchen hood, and air purifiers. I bought one air purifier that changes the air in my shop something like 20 times an hour. It has really helped. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Personal protective equipment, always. Including a cartridge respirator rated for chemical vapors and gloves.

And look into machines to clear the VOCs from your air. Look into an exhaust vent like a commercial kitchen hood, and air purifiers. I bought one air purifier that changes the air in my shop something like 20 times an hour. It has really helped. 

I never would have thought of an air purifier, that is an excellent idea !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I haven't purchased an air purifier because so many of them are ineffective. Would love a rec for an effective model.

I have several Honeywell that dramatically reduce the voc's in the air. I am at the point where if I don't improve air quality soon I will have two choices: close up shop for good, or move production and storage of everything far away from anywhere people breathe the air for long. 

FYI For those who leave windows open, and follow GMP (good manufacturing principles) this is a no-no. Dust, pollen, insects, etc come in through screens and will cause you to fail an inspection.

• Like 1