Bulk Apothecary rant

franu61

I placed a small order from BA a few days ago.  Wanted some plastic jars and lids, and threw in some shea butter, just to get the most out of shipping cost.  They e-mailed me today to let me know my order was PARTIALLY shipped, and the lids were OUT OF STOCK.  They refunded me for the lids.   So now I will get a load of jars that are worthless to me without lids, and some shea butter to make lotion to put in the worhtless jars....  If I try to get lids somewhere else the shipping will be way too much for a single item.  Oh and did I mention that I needed the jars ASAP for an order?  I wrote back to them letting them know I am not happy.  I would have preferred to cancel ALL of it.  Why didn't they contact me before shipping lidless jars?!   anyway that's my rant.  Anyone have similar experience with BA?

That's not right -- did they ship UPS or FedEx?  I think I would call them and tell them to intercept the shipment and have it returned to them.  What do they think you're going to do with jars without lids?  I've ordered from Sunburst Bottle, Midwest Bottles and E.D. Luce before, all with good service -- they might have your lids ...?

• Like 1

Ugh, that is unfortunate to say the very least.  I have only ordered my patchouli FO from them; I don't buy anything else there... thinking I'll need to find a replacement from another company.  Sorry this happened to you! :(

• Like 1

Ok, #1 they should have contacted you to advise this and ask you what you would like them to do.

#2  I would call them up and back it up with an email and tell them what they should have done and you DID NOT authorize them to ship a partial.

#3   Or you could tell them, that you would accept the order only if they ship the lids which you will pay for and THEY ARE TO PAY FOR THE COST FOR THE SHIPPING otherwise everything IS GOING back to them and you are going to dispute your credit card. And back this up with an email too.  If you can't get any satisfaction, ask to speak to the owner of the company and tell them how mad you are and this was not right what they did.  Why should you pay for the extra shipping????That's EXCUSE MY FRENCH - BUT PLAIN BULLSHIT!  I would be livid.

#4  And to make matters worse if they give you a hard time, you will be posting on facebook to beware of this company.

Trappeur

• Like 3

Most websites show items as "out of stock" when they are. There was no indication as you were shopping that the lids were OOS? Also, when you called them they should have mentioned when the items were expected to be in stock and given you the option of having them sent to you when they are ready without charging you extra shipping.

• Like 1

I'd be mad as well.  I buy from a jewelry display supplier that does the same thing, it's like they can't keep up with posting out of stock.  Do look at their policies however because it may just say that they aren't responsible for out of stock items.  I do feel they should not charge you any more shipping and treat it like a back order and not refund the $.

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with them.  " We do sell items separately...Well the amount has already been refunded so we can't put it on back order...if you want to send back the jars we will refund you but you must pay shipping to send them back."  I told them I would refuse the shipment when it got here and dispute the credit card charge, and post to facebook groups about the shoddy practice.."If that's what you feel you have to do"  asked to talk to the manager "Not here at the moment".  He also said they had white lids in stock now. (my jars are black, but why not tell me that BEFORE they shipped anything..I could have gotten all white).   I ended up getting a $10 store credit, (whoopee) and they SAID the shipping would be 7.70 to send just the lids if I re-order when they are back in stock. (in about 2-3 weeks ).  IF they get them back in stock, and IF they still cost 15 cents each, and IF the shipping is really only 7.70, I will come out ahead about $1.  They just lost me as a customer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Most websites show items as "out of stock" when they are. There was no indication as you were shopping that the lids were OOS? Also, when you called them they should have mentioned when the items were expected to be in stock and given you the option of having them sent to you when they are ready without charging you extra shipping.

When I ordered them they were not listed as out of stock. They are now and won't let you put them in your shopping cart.

Some sites (and of COURSE I couldn't find one quickly to show an example) offer a checkbox where you can designate whether you want everything to ship together or will allow partial shipments. Whenever I see this I automatically click 'ship all items on one shipment'.

Maybe if they incorporated this into their order form, they could avoid these types of problems. 

• Like 1

"If that's what you feel you have to do"  -- there's your answer and that's exactly what I would do.  If you have your tracking number, I would call UPS (if they are handling it) and see if I could make a request to not have the package delivered so they return it to the shipper.  Although the store credit may be seen as a nice gesture, it doesn't really do anything for you and it doesn't make them have to think about what they did.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just re- ordered the lids.  The transaction went through, so that SHOULD mean they were in stock.  I used a 10% off promo code and the shipping was 7.70.  so with my store credit and refund I actually came out ahead $1.72, lol. Now to see if they actually show up in my mailbox.... Totally not worth all the frustration and wait though.  

Edited by franu61