I'm Back, you Lovely People....with soap pics!

PhoenixFyre

Well, 2016 certainly was a challenging year, so I decided to start 2017 right with getting back to being creative!

Lost my Papa (my grandpa) early last year. We knew it was coming, but it was still heartbreaking when it did. My sister and brother-in-law suffered a miscarriage after years of fertility treatments. Then to finish the year, my husband was in a car accident, so we've been dealing with his injuries, lawyers, and insurance companies for the last five months.

So, while I've popped in here from time to time to lurk, my heart just hasn't been in the creative spirit and my candles and soap were put on hold. Thankfully, times to mourn pass and times to laugh come back. My hubby is on the mend, and my sister announced that they are pregnant again and have made it to the second trimester. So I figured it's time to get my butt back into gear and made some soap to celebrate at her baby shower in a couple of months. She's having a boy, and the colors of the shower are blue and white. The white base with the blue swirls is a mix of mango, papaya, and grapefruit mangosteen, which riced on me a bit and then accelerated, so didn't have much time to play. The blue base with white swirls is blackberry sage.

So glad to be back among the creative and inspirational people here!

20170124_112244.jpg

20170124_103728.jpg

20170124_103510.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome! I mean, yanno, you creatively stirring the pot again... (Maybe I should start this over...)

(DO OVER!!!) 

THAT SUCKS!!!! 

I'm not conveying my well-meaning, well, today... 

;) Srsly, welcome back and nice swirling! 

Slainte, 

Sponiebr <------------ the real reason psychological evaluations were standardized. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Awesome! I mean, yanno, you creatively stirring the pot again... (Maybe I should start this over...)

(DO OVER!!!) 

THAT SUCKS!!!! 

I'm not conveying my well-meaning, well, today... 

;) Srsly, welcome back and nice swirling! 

Slainte, 

Sponiebr <------------ the real reason psychological evaluations were standardized. 

Thank you for the laugh, thank you for concurring on the suck-fest I had, and thank you for the welcome back. Oh...and thanks for the swirling compliment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

Beautiful swirls!  I love that spot of deep blue in the top picture; at least that is what it looks like to me. 

Goldie

Yep...that's a shot of the top of one. That soap didn't move as fast on me as the other one, so I had a little time to swirl some of the leftover TD batter and blue mica on top, so I think that's the spot of blue you're seeing. 

• Like 1

Very nice to see you again Phoenix!    Yes, 2017 is going to be a good year for all of us....have to think positive...

Thankyou for sharing a little about your life, in times of troubles and happiness.  I wish you and your family well.

Trappeur

Oh yes, your soaps are beautiful!

• Like 1

Absolutely, Trappeur! I'm wearing my Hakuna Matata shirt and enjoying each day as it comes!

Besides my own trials, it was also so sad to lose precious Craftserver members/friends last year. I have been so appreciative of this site ever since I discovered it, and I don't know if I would have learned as much about candles and soaps without all the knowledge and encouragement from all of you. It's a comfort to find a group that not only shares wisdom but is willing to share in each others' lives as well.

Thank you so much for your well wishes and compliment!

• Like 1

Great to see you back PhoenixFyre! Your soaps are beautiful! So happy to hear that things in your life have turned around and looking much better now. So sorry to hear of loss of Grandpa....but SO happy for your sister on upcoming birth of her baby boy and glad to hear your hubby is mending. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puma52 said:

Great to see you back PhoenixFyre! Your soaps are beautiful! So happy to hear that things in your life have turned around and looking much better now. So sorry to hear of loss of Grandpa....but SO happy for your sister on upcoming birth of her baby boy and glad to hear your hubby is mending. :)

Aww. Thanks, Puma! Getting back into the creative flow is always therapeutic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scented said:

Sorry for your loss! I understand about 2016 having its difficulties. Good to see you back to creating. I love the soft marble looks compared to shocking side of that log. How in the world is the light marble look or lines done in soap? 

Thank you so much! Time may heal all wounds, but making soaps and candles is pretty healing as well, lol.

As for the marbled look of the lighter soap, in my case it was done on accident! To loosely quote Mrs. Gump, "Life is like a loaf of soap -- you never know what you're gonna get." Okay -- that didn't have the same ring to it, but you get the point. I was actually hoping the lighter colored soap would turn out more like the blue-based one, but the batter got thick quickly. The blue lines are from the same blue mica, just one portion tinted with TD. The best I could do was plop the two colors of blue batter onto the white batter and attempt to somewhat swirl them in the bowl...but it was so thick that the colors just sort of glopped into the mold when I poured it, hence the lined/marbled look that you see. It actually looks pretty neat in person and is a nice contrast to the bolder blue-based one.