Purchasing Olive Oil For CP Soap

Moonstar

Where do you guys buy oils for soap such as olive oil  - coconut etc. Ive read articles about olive oil in particular that many if not most are cut with other oils.

It went on saying that its cut to obviously save them money + to help stop the oil from going off quickly ? Have any of you had any issues from buying OO or

other oils ,say at Costco ? Have you noticed any DOS on your soap from oils bought locally ? Who knew any of this was going on, that is so maddening :( 

From what I read, OO in particular is a HUGE business . Thank you in advance ! 

I get my olive oil and Avocado at Costco.  2- 3 liter bottles are about 28.00 (olive) and 9.99 for a 33 oz (Avocado).   The rest of my supplies I get from Soaper's Choice as I buy in bulk.  Costco also has CO and Avocado Oil.  I have been buying my oils from Costco for 7-8 years and never had an issue.  I believe their OO was shown to be pure and not adulterated.  You can get Castor oil at Walmart and if you're not opposed to using lard you can get that at Walmart too.  I've purchased their lard in a pinch while waiting for an order.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shari said:

I get my olive oil and Avocado at Costco.  2- 3 liter bottles are about 28.00 (olive) and 9.99 for a 33 oz (Avocado).   The rest of my supplies I get from Soaper's Choice as I buy in bulk.  Costco also has CO and Avocado Oil.  I have been buying my oils from Costco for 7-8 years and never had an issue.  I believe their OO was shown to be pure and not adulterated.  You can get Castor oil at Walmart and if you're not opposed to using lard you can get that at Walmart too.  I've purchased their lard in a pinch while waiting for an order.

Thank you Shari :) Costco was mentioned as a store that had pure + fresher oils. I think its due to their high turnaround. I really appreciate you chiming in :) 

I have bought coconut oil from there and love it ! I was given a basic lard soap recipe  to try - so you really like lard soap? Ive heard its very gentle with

great lather . Thanks again + Happy Friday ! 

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

I make soap with palm and soap with lard  Lard is hands down my personal favorite.  It makes a lovely creamy bar of soap.   A great simple recipe is 50% Lard, 20%CO, 25% Olive Oil and 5% Castor Oil.    I started out with using palm but because of the sustainability of palm I did have some customers show concern.  I then tried Lard and was wow'd by it.  Made me a believer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shari said:

I make soap with palm and soap with lard  Lard is hands down my personal favorite.  It makes a lovely creamy bar of soap.   A great simple recipe is 50% Lard, 20%CO, 25% Olive Oil and 5% Castor Oil.    I started out with using palm but because of the sustainability of palm I did have some customers show concern.  I then tried Lard and was wow'd by it.  Made me a believer.

I really wanna try a lard soap now, thanks again Shari :) 

• Like 1

I get my OO from soapers choice. I love so close that shipping is cheaper than the gas to get to our nearest Costco. 

I tried various grocery store olive oils and pomaded early on and ended up with not only DOS, but bright orange soap bars that looked like rust. 

Lard is easy to work with, very forgiving with its super long trace time. It is not my favorite soaping oil, but I see how it could be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I get my OO from soapers choice. I love so close that shipping is cheaper than the gas to get to our nearest Costco. 

I tried various grocery store olive oils and pomaded early on and ended up with not only DOS, but bright orange soap bars that looked like rust. 

Lard is easy to work with, very forgiving with its super long trace time. It is not my favorite soaping oil, but I see how it could be.

Interesting . Wonder what caused 

the rust color. Last time I tried a CP recipe I used olive oil locally 

and I too experienced the DOS

but not rust color soap. Being inexperienced I wasn't sure what the orange spots were until I did some research. Regarding lard

may I ask what it is you don't care about it, is it label appeal or you

just don't like the end product?

3 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Where do you guys buy oils for soap such as olive oil  - coconut etc. Ive read articles about olive oil in particular that many if not most are cut with other oils.

It went on saying that its cut to obviously save them money + to help stop the oil from going off quickly ? Have any of you had any issues from buying OO or

other oils ,say at Costco ? Have you noticed any DOS on your soap from oils bought locally ? Who knew any of this was going on, that is so maddening :( 

From what I read, OO in particular is a HUGE business . Thank you in advance ! 

That's been going on for years, and I believe it's been discussed here a couple times, the most recent a couple months ago. About once every couple years, it will come up and then die down again. (it usually comes up when one of the networks shows a special on the imports of Olive Oil and the big money it is) 

I get most of my bulk orders oils from either Soaper's Choice or from MMS, At MMS after I believe $250 it's free shipping and bulk oils get heavy quick, so it's a huge saver for me, even though the actual per ounce price of MMS is a bit higher than SC on some things.

For Olive Oil or the occasional lard, I use my sisters manager discount at Sam's and buy there and have never had DOS due to buying locally (and actually have only had DOS once due to curing on a rusted wire rack - my bad).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Interesting . Wonder what caused 

the rust color. Last time I tried a CP recipe I used olive oil locally 

and I too experienced the DOS

but not rust color soap. Being inexperienced I wasn't sure what the orange spots were until I did some research. Regarding lard

may I ask what it is you don't care about it, is it label appeal or you

just don't like the end product?

It was oxidation of the unsaturated oils, my guess canola. the soap never hardened either. When you make an olive oil only soap it should be brick hard very quickly. These never got beyond barely firm enough not to dent if they hit the floor. Dead giveaway the olive oil was not actually olive. The brand I remember specifically rusting was Bertolli.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Barbara AL said:

Shari that is the recipe I use  when I make Lard soaps too and love it.

I mostly make Tallow soaps. The only thing my husband uses it my saltbars weird but he loves them.

Besides the obvious reason, what do you feel is the difference between lard + tallow soap bars ? I once used a salt bar + LOVED it ! I thought it would have been

drying but was the complete opposite, it felt great.  Your husband has good taste lol ! 

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It was oxidation of the unsaturated oils, my guess canola. the soap never hardened either. When you make an olive oil only soap it should be brick hard very quickly. These never got beyond barely firm enough not to dent if they hit the floor. Dead giveaway the olive oil was not actually olive. The brand I remember specifically rusting was Bertolli.

unbelievable ! That was one of the brands (Bertolli)  mentioned in the article. It also said buying California 100% olive oil was much less likely to adulterated ?

how in the heck are they getting away with this ? Makes you wonder. 

I buy my olive oil in large 5 gal pails from either Soapers Choice or Golden Barrel. I buy all of my oils from one or the other. Depends on who I am ordering from at the time. Soaper's Choice has all the oils I need but Golden Barrel is closer to me shipping wise so I just started ordering from them last year.

I have been pleased with both companies.

Before, for many years, I used to buy my OO and some other oils from Walmart. But when I started buying in larger bulk quantities I had to switch.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 11:42 AM, Moonstar said:

unbelievable ! That was one of the brands (Bertolli)  mentioned in the article. It also said buying California 100% olive oil was much less likely to adulterated ?

how in the heck are they getting away with this ? Makes you wonder. 

The olive oil industry is rampant with adulterated oil production. The main reason is the cost. Its just cheaper to add in a cheap vegetable filler like soybean oil. And of course every bottle I have bought says right on the label 100% OO. That's like McDonald's saying their burgers are 100% beef. The beef may be 100% beef but they also use fillers in the ground beef.

I buy the OO I cook and eat with from an olive oil vendor who's family owns an olive oil farm in greece. They make their own olive oil and I can tell you it tastes better than any OO I have ever tasted. EVER!! Pure 100% virgin cold pressed olive oil is amazing. Nothing I have purchased in any store tastes like it. When you have 100% OO, the good stuff, you can really taste the difference. I love dipping bread and veggies in it.

The 1st bottle I bought from my greek vendor was about 10oz for about $14. Thats very cheap compared to other companies but that is because I buy it directly from the OO farmer. But I don't soap with the oil. Too expensive.

For soaping I find you can use just about any OO you buy at your local store. Like I mentioned earlier for years I used Walmart OO with no problems. Only on one rare occasion did I purchase an olive oil that made really bad soap and I can't remember where I got it from but I quit buying it.

I have not had any problems with Soaper's Choice OO and just buy the pomace. This past year I started buying from Golden Barrel in PA because they are close to me so shipping is faster and I save a couple bucks on the price + shipping.

But I would not buy bulk amounts of OO until you are producing in large quantities because the OO could go bad if you don't use it up in the next few months. YOu don't know how long its already been shelved so I try to keep that in mind when I purchase my oils.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Candybee said:

The olive oil industry is rampant with adulterated oil production. The main reason is the cost. Its just cheaper to add in a cheap vegetable filler like soybean oil. And of course every bottle I have bought says right on the label 100% OO. That's like McDonald's saying their burgers are 100% beef. The beef may be 100% beef but they also use fillers in the ground beef.

I buy the OO I cook and eat with from an olive oil vendor who's family owns an olive oil farm in greece. They make their own olive oil and I can tell you it tastes better than any OO I have ever tasted. EVER!! Pure 100% virgin cold pressed olive oil is amazing. Nothing I have purchased in any store tastes like it. When you have 100% OO, the good stuff, you can really taste the difference. I love dipping bread and veggies in it.

The 1st bottle I bought from my greek vendor was about 10oz for about $14. Thats very cheap compared to other companies but that is because I buy it directly from the OO farmer. But I don't soap with the oil. Too expensive.

For soaping I find you can use just about any OO you buy at your local store. Like I mentioned earlier for years I used Walmart OO with no problems. Only on one rare occasion did I purchase an olive oil that made really bad soap and I can't remember where I got it from but I quit buying it.

I have not had any problems with Soaper's Choice OO and just buy the pomace. This past year I started buying from Golden Barrel in PA because they are close to me so shipping is faster and I save a couple bucks on the price + shipping.

But I would not buy bulk amounts of OO until you are producing in large quantities because the OO could go bad if you don't use it up in the next few months. YOu don't know how long its already been shelved so I try to keep that in mind when I purchase my oils.

So true . I hear ya on real fresh OO. I too have a greek and Italian friend who brings me back OO now + then. 100% difference for sure. 

Hey, did you ever recall where you saw 15 fold orange EO besides WSP . I just can't seem to find any. I found 5 and 10 but not 15. WSP is just 

outrageously expensive on that one. Along with their grapefruit EO ... Insane !