NASA has tested candles; and found that they are not an effective source of light in Space!

Sorry; if this is the wrong Section on the forum;

I just found this Interesting;

I guess NASA did an experiment to see if candles;

would be a good source of light in Space; they found

that with NO gravity to help create a convection current;

That in space the candle flame was spherical instead of tear-drop shaped

and the entire mass of wax melted with-in 90-seconds. to 6-Minutes!

Below is more info; if you want to read NASA's findings for yourself:

https://spaceflightsystems.grc.nasa.gov/cqa/r1.htm

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

I just find it hilarious that it took "NASA testing" to determine that. ha

The old cliche is ironically perfect here.... "It's not rocket science".

Oh, it's amazing the things that get tested by the government and NASA in the name of science. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Please note that I'm laughing at WThomas' comment not the original post.  I love this forum for many reasons but my daily laugh is up on top!

Same here ! I just love this forum 

great people - super duper helpful 

great information & some of the 

funniest stuff too - really makes 

my day !!!! BTW is this what our 

government spends $$$ on ???

yet they make annual cuts in the 

budget - so dumb ?

• Like 1

That would be nice, but it's stuff like, at what exact pressure point does glass shatter if hit with a hammer, how much pressure is there in a balloon that is submerged in liquid nitrogen, and at what point does it shatter, stuff like that. .. I saw this whole documentary on it when Al Gore was running for President, and it was fascinating, but frustrating at the same time. So much wasted money that could go into other programs that would do so much good, but no we as a people are wasting money on shattering glass. Awesome... 

17 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

YES, yes it is... 

My son is a young adult with a severe disability. Lets just say he'll never be able to work - stay busy, yes but not work for any income. It ticks me off when 

they continuously make cuts to those who are the most vulnerable in society. Sorry, that just really gets me going :( I hope I didn't offend anyone .

BTW i didn't mean anything toward your comment lol ! I was just venting lol !

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

My son is a young adult with a severe disability. Lets just say he'll never be able to work - stay busy, yes but not work for any income. It ticks me off when 

they continuously make cuts to those who are the most vulnerable in society. Sorry, that just really gets me going :( I hope I didn't offend anyone .

BTW i didn't mean anything toward your comment lol ! I was just venting lol !

No, I completely agree with you. It's ridiculous what they spend money on. I'm not saying that no good is being done, it is, but things like toilet seat covers, and the like.. It's irritating. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Well, since there is no oxygen in space, it does stand to reason that they wouldn't burn very well there, or be a good source of light or heat... 

wthomas57's comment is pretty funny. 

Beat me to it! 

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

No, I completely agree with you. It's ridiculous what they spend money on. I'm not saying that no good is being done, it is, but things like toilet seat covers, and the like.. It's irritating. 

Well, apparently... ONE of the many things that have been found out to not work well in micro gravity environments is getting pregnant... Apparently this has been extensively tested in space, and found to be EXTREMELY difficult to almost impossible to become pregnant in space. The fertilization process apparently needs gravity to facilitate the movement of stuff from point A to point B. Now THAT PISSES ME OFF! 

Seriously NASA, you're a bunch of Bass turds! YOU PAID THESE PEOPLE WITH OUR TAX MONEY!!!! 

I MEAN Jeeze!!! I would have TOTALLY done it for FREE!!!!

-Sponiebr 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

Beat me to it! 

Well, apparently... ONE of the many things that have been found out to not work well in micro gravity environments is getting pregnant... Apparently this has been extensively tested in space, and found to be EXTREMELY difficult to almost impossible to become pregnant in space. The fertilization process apparently needs gravity to facilitate the movement of stuff from point A to point B. Now THAT PISSES ME OFF! 

Seriously NASA, you're a bunch of Bass turds! YOU PAID THESE PEOPLE WITH OUR TAX MONEY!!!! 

I MEAN Jeeze!!! I would have TOTALLY done it for FREE!!!!

-Sponiebr 

Perhaps they could get another opinion. ha. 

• Like 2