Presto Pot Wax Melter

Thank you for the link :) it says does not include 90 degree handle ??? I wonder what that is . Also, if anyone has/uses one of these how do you clean them ?

Im not handy in the least bit so Im wondering if theres something out there that requires no assembly - just plug in + go . 

@TallTayl I was just looking the ones you speak of are not marketed for wax melting but for food cooking right ? Are they one and the same thing ? I want one too :) Tell me do you guys mix the color and fo in the pot or after taking it out of the pot . And if after do you pour wax in another container to mix it do you turn it off  at 185 ?

• Like 1

The presto pots at Walmart/Amazon/etc. are the same ones converted to add the spout by the candle suppliers like in the link above.

the small one is the Presto Multi Cooker:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Kitchen-Kettle-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/14321003?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=14321003&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=b0339efe-964c-4650-8cc8-afc5940f5ccf&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=38468981&parent_anchor_item_id=38468981&guid=1c52fe50-7310-4c56-95d5-6cd3877416e8&bucket_id=irsbucket016&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

the bigger one is the same design, but much bigger, called the Big Cooker, Black:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/38468981?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026951385&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=43324636952&wl4=pla-82771732832&wl5=9021490&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=38468981&wl13=&veh=sem

The people who add the spout bore a hole large enough for the plumbing fitting (found at most hardware stores) then use JB Weld (a sealant/binding product) also found at most hardware stores.

i have 5 Of these multi cookers and never found I really "needed" a spout. With beeswax the spouts clog even on my 50# melter which is a total pain to deal with. Soy might be fine I just don't want to deal with it and cleaning the spout since sometimes they gather debris and can corrode depending on the metals used. 

• Like 2

I generally only use my black prestos to melt the wax. I usually color and scent in the pour pot. The heat gun takes the chill off the pour pot. If I have several colors going I put the pour pots on an electric griddle to keep them warm. The griddle also makes it simple to pre-warm the fragrance in the pour pot when it is cold in my shop. Pour pots are all metal.

i say generally because I also use the big presto pots to dip colored beeswax mini tapers. I do color the beeswax for those right in the presto pot and keep a second pot melting to add to the dip pot as needed. 

Presto used to make a stainless steel cooking pot. I got the last one and wish they were still available. 

• Like 1

I use a presto...but I use it as a water bath.  I keep the wax in the pour pots and rotate what I need, but since I use different waxes and don't want a presto for every wax blend I come up with, I just label my pouring pots as to what kind of wax is inside and the presto has water in it.  I love the temperature adjuster so I can just hold the water below 200* and don't have to worry about it boiling away. 

• Like 3

OOOOOoooooooo

That is a really really good idea!! Some years ago I saw a display of roasters at Thanksgiving time and I can remember standing there trying to think how I could use that in my many home endeavors.  At the time I was thinking about just melting wax in one like a big steam table (as a Chef/Baker I usually go to the commercial equipment side).  I always thought about melting wax in it directly until I started thinking of the mess of ladling etc.  I like my pour pots, but it is a better idea to use something large like this for multiples. :D

• Like 1

I have 4 - and one with a spigot. I've not used the one with a spigot in probably 10 years now. I HATE the spigot, hate it. It was always in the way, and more of a pain than not, it would get clogged, then it would leak, and bleh, just not worth it. It's so much easier to just use the ones without it. (cheaper too) 

I use the roaster as well if i have more than 3 pour pots that need to be warmed at the same time, otherwise I just use my griddle to keep my pour pots warm. Works great and takes up less space/uses less energy (so I've been told - no idea if it's true) 

• Like 1

I have a professional wax melter and it has a copper spigot on it. I've had it for over 10 years and its never clogged on me ever and I've used paraffin, soy, parasoy, and palm waxes. Don't know about beeswax as I don't use it for candles. Anyway I think if you find a spigot and you have a choice between one type and a copper one I would go with the copper spigot.

• Like 3

WOW ! You guys have such great advise ! Thank you so much ! Candybee how much are the ones with a copper spigot - i bet expensive 

For those of you who have several - do you buy new or second hand ? 

Edited by Moonstar

My last direct heat 50# had a brass spigot. Sucker clogged so badly with beeswax I sold it. In hindsight it would have been good to keep it for melting other things, I was just so fed up with it. 

The 50# water jacket one has brass too. For beeswax I need to plunge out the spigot to push the hardened plug out, then wait for the gush of hot wax. Otherwise I sit with the heat gun waiting for it to soften and trickle out wax. It is better with soy wax once the wax gets moving. 

Stainless steel fittings seem seem to move the heat better along the tube I hear.

• Like 1

I would think that you need a high heat for melting beeswax and wouldn't that keep the spigot heated too? That's how mine works. The spigot gets pretty hot and I only turn the on/off valve on it when I want wax. Being copper I have to periodically clean off greenish colored gunk off the spigot but other than that it has always worked great and never clogged on me.

Anyway I had to google it. The valve is an Apollo Conbraco valve http://www.mmcontrol.com/conbraco.php

It's just like the first one on the page. I am trying to find the manufacturer for my wax melter but forgot who it was and can't find the name on the melter.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 7:19 PM, Moonstar said:

I'd like to purchase a Presto wax 

melter. Nothing super expensive . 

Any suggestions of brand - where to buy etc. How exactly do these work? Any advise is greatly appreciated - thank you !

On 10/18/2016 at 7:28 PM, Pamaroma said:

I'm going to order this one. It sounds awesome!!! Read all the details and let me know what you think.

http://www.prestopotwaxmelter.com

I ordered 2 of these melters years and years ago from this company and just love them and the spigots too. Now, you do have to wait until the wax does melt enough in the spigot to allow free flow of the wax into the pour pot, but I just love mine and once it does melt, even as you are adding more wax to melt, it won't stop up on you again while you are using it. It is just the initial getting started. I clip a candy thermometer on the side of this warmer to make sure I keep my temps where they need to be.  But, while the wax is melting and the spigot is warming up, I get my other things done for making my tarts etc while my wax is melting anyhow.    When mine die...if they do, I will order from these guys again. :)

• Like 2

On 10/18/2016 at 8:12 PM, Moonstar said:

Thank you for the link :) it says does not include 90 degree handle ??? I wonder what that is . Also, if anyone has/uses one of these how do you clean them ?

Im not handy in the least bit so Im wondering if theres something out there that requires no assembly - just plug in + go . 

Hey Moonstar,

You don't need that 90 degree elbow at all. You will never miss it.  It would screw up into the spigot. When I do my tarts, I put my tart blend wax into the pot.. when the wax is melted,  I then use what I need and if there is any left, I just leave it in there. It will solidify in the pot and when I need to make more I just plug the pot back in....it remelts the wax and I am ready to pour tarts again and just have to add more wax as needed. If you will need the presto melter to make other types of wax products, just pour the leftover wax into a stainless steel bowl and cover it, but I always label what type the wax is. At that point (when you pour the wax into another bowl or use all the wax in the melter) you can wipe out the whole inside of it with paper towels.   I use these presto pots to just melt the waxes, use the spigot to fill up my pour pots (I put my liquid dye, my UV inhibitor and my scent into the pour pot)...the only thing my melter has in it, is wax only. I will tell you something else I do which I learned way too late...you know all wax has black specks, etc in it.  Get yourself a tightly meshed strainer (tea bag strainer) and lay it across the top of your pour pot and as the wax comes out of the spigot, it goes through the strainer and you end up with really clean wax. Those black specks at the bottoms of my jars/tarts used to drive me crazy, until I started using the strainer. I love it too. :)

I use Presto pots with spigots and love them! I also set my pour pots on an electric griddle to keep warm between pours of different scents, colors, etc. I also have a roaster but haven't used it yet. Got it for a steal, but haven't tried playing with it yet.

• Like 2