1809 Candles Twirls~~~ SOMEONE PLEASE TEACH ME THIS

I recently won one of these soy candles and fell in love with it. This candle influenced me to change from paraffin to soy. I love the tin bucket with the lid and can't find empty ones anywhere. They told me their manufacturer quit making them. Wish I would have asked who their manufacturer was.....but understandably I probably would not have received an answer. What I am so DESPERATELY WANTING TO KNOW is how did they get the pretty rich creamy look with the beautiful twirl on top???? Does anyone possibly know if this is a result from the likes of a factory poured (machine poured) candled? Regardless it was so beautiful in mine and I hated to lite it and mess up the appearance. But it was awesome. Also, the wick was HEAVILY COATED in the same scented wax in the container adding more attraction to the container. Very heavily coated. My scent was called Bisquits and Honey but smelled like pancakes with maple syrup and honey.  Very lovely scent. Made me hungry. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO POUR WITH THE TWIRLS, please, please, please educate this sister!!! lol....if any typos, oh well, I'm pretty sedated on my pain meds because its been a hell of a day with my back!! (can I say hell on here) If not, Im sincerely sorry and will try to remember not to do it again. Think I'll try to s)eep off the pain and meds for a little while now. Hope everyone's weekend has been awesome!! :)  They have a wonderful website called 1809 Candles that displays jar and red bucket candles too. I want those pretty swirls and twirls.  lol ;):) 

Screenshot_2016-10-02-17-15-55.png

U

Screenshot_2016-10-02-17-13-23.png

Screenshot_2016-10-02-17-12-38.png

Screenshot_2016-10-02-17-12-00.png

Screenshot_2016-10-02-17-13-08.png

Edited by Pamaroma
Correct
  • Like 2

The pattern on the top of the candle makes me think that they are pouring the wax at a very thick consistency.  As a baker....I'm guessing somewhere in the area of Chantilly cream to sponge cake batter. I have no idea what temp that translates into with soy wax tho...

• Like 6

I use GB 444 soy and usually pour around 170 to 175 and its still very clear and liquid. I agree with chefmom that they must be pouring it very cool in order to get the swirl, maybe 100- 120 deg? Ive never gone that cool before.  

I guess try it out?  

Fyi the scent in their candles is really good, my husband gor me one when we were still dating and it was one of the reasons i decided to make my own.

You could get similar buckets in aluminium and spray paint them, i also think that Michaels carries black buckets that are similar so there are probably wholesale distributors online.

• Like 3

I pour at 100- right before slushy so I would guess this has to be poured at around 85-90 to still be pourable without turning too solid to get some chunks formed 

I can't remember where but a supplier does sell galvanized buckets seamless somewhere- I had purchased some that had a seam and had to use a glue to make sure they wouldn't leak and that was too much work for me so I never continued 

for your experimental purposes I have several left if you want them they are yours just pm me your address 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 4

I wonder if they do a top off pour and do the top off pour very cool, but the rest at a normal temp. But I guess a very cool wouldnt affect the scent. Only thing it would affect is the appearance if you didn't get it just right.

1 hour ago, Siren12 said:

I use GB 444 soy and usually pour around 170 to 175 and its still very clear and liquid. I agree with chefmom that they must be pouring it very cool in order to get the swirl, maybe 100- 120 deg? Ive never gone that cool before.  

I guess try it out?  

Fyi the scent in their candles is really good, my husband gor me one when we were still dating and it was one of the reasons i decided to make my own.

You could get similar buckets in aluminium and spray paint them, i also think that Michaels carries black buckets that are similar so there are probably wholesale distributors online.

The one candle I won in a silent auction for,$6.00 by them is what inspired me to switch to soy wax and my interest in candle making to grow.

As you said -- not sure if they are hand-poured or not.

But, if I were to try to copy that, it might be with a whipped wax and an extra-large decorator tip (the plain kind, not a star tip, etc.) -- I think Chefmom is on to it! 

Then, most likely, after it's been piped into the container, it is probably hit with some heat to melt it a bit ... hmmm?  Do you think so??  I should try!  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamaroma said:

I wonder if they do a top off pour and do the top off pour very cool, but the rest at a normal temp. But I guess a very cool wouldnt affect the scent. Only thing it would affect is the appearance if you didn't get it just right.

Exactly what I was thinking!! A top off!  That is what I would do.

And that would be easy peasy to do....just have to experiment with the temperature.  I would start at the outside of the jar and begin pourig round and round and when you got to the wick just over pour onto the wick and it would end there.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Exactly what I was thinking!! A top off!  That is what I would do.

And that would be easy peasy to do....just have to experiment with the temperature.  I would start at the outside of the jar and begin pourig round and round and when you got to the wick just over pour onto the wick and it would end there.

Trappeur

That sounds right on!!! If my back is better tomorrow I might play around with it. I might have to wait till after my spinal injection Tuesday. I have been practically bedridden the past few days. The pics I posted really do not do it any justice. The pour they do is amazing and so eye catching. I think the appearance along with amazing scent would certainly draw sales. I didn't burn mine for a while because I hated to mess up its beauty.

Could just be a swirl of a stick to make the design. Look how it is an uneven spiral, like the stick was drawn through twice. 

I pour soy pretty cool and thick (don't take the temp) and it is fluid so long as I stir as it cools. (I cool the pouring pitcher in front of a big fan so it goes quick.) 

• Like 1

My guess....

They are pouring the candle normal... and then go back with wax the is more cool and solid and pipe it on top (like icing on a cake).

If not... then maybe they are just swirling as it gets more firm. They might simply running a pop sickle style stick through is afters its mostly settled. 

Edited by wthomas57
  • Like 1

I think maybe be stirring when close to setting right before it hardens. And I did see those buckets not sure where maybe Bulk apothacary has this but I also think metal-bucket__03425.1447361110.1280.1280

maybe in michels and there is another one I am not sure if I see it again I will leave the address www.craftsaver.com had this and many veriations tiny-4-silver-galvanized-bucket-with-han

good luck let us know if you get the result you were looking for ?

• Like 1