customer receipt complaint

Candybee

What do the folks at square say? If you have a signature they should be able to compare the sig to other purchases made by that card holder via square.

could it be the customer does not recognize the business name? 

Was it a swipe or chip transaction?

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing TallTayl said, maybe they didn't recognize the company name ? TallTayl whats the difference between a swipe + a chip transaction.

Ive always wondered about how those swipes work, are you required to ask for a photo ID (drivers license) + take a photo from your smartphone ?

Im interested to hear more about this.

TT that's all the info I have. Square sent the email with a note that the customer says they didn't make the purchase. I followed Square's link to the copy of receipt. The sale was from Saturday (yesteday) and it showed the signature and that the signature had been verified by the bank. So I am going to reply as much to the email. Fortunately its only for $25 so its not biggie. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens after I reply.  I have an idea its one of two things, either the customer didn't recognize a Square receipt, or my company name, or a family member borrowed the card and used it at the craft show. I didn't do anything wrong and it was approved by their credit card company so I will just wait and see if anything else comes out of it. I mean who would steal a card to buy soap or candles?!! Phfffft!!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Well I sent a response to the person. I am not going to just simply issue a refund because someone says they didn't make a purchase. If they come back and make a big deal I will just refund because its not worth the hassle over $25. I just hope no one stole this person's card and used it.

BTW-- TT it was a swipe.  If it had a chip in it and I swiped it I could be responsible if it was a fraudulent purchase. But I will wait and see what happens before I do anything else at this point.

• Like 1

If it were a theft purchase though they'd up the purchase amount I would think. Possibly not at $100 but more than $25 is my thought. 

And plenty of people would steal a card and do it, because most people may not notice the little purchases. 

Hope it works out for you in the end.

• Like 1

I was mistaken, it was my first card purchase of the day on Sunday and I remembered I used the chip reader for it. Phew! But that still doesn't mean it wasn't a stolen card.

Anyway, I have not heard anything back from them since I sent a return email to them yesterday. Its 24 hours later so I hope they sorted it out.

I could be wrong but I think that since the credit card company verified the signature and went ahead and processed the payment it then becomes their responsibility. If it was a stolen card purchase wouldn't they have to issue the customer a refund?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I could be wrong but I think that since the credit card company verified the signature and went ahead and processed the payment it then becomes their responsibility. If it was a stolen card purchase wouldn't they have to issue the customer a refund?

i believe thats how it works, i would think that if the Credit card company approved it then they would need to refund the money.  

I think that most likely they didn't recognize the shop on their bill, clearly they look at it frequently if they caught it by the next day. also i would have thought they would have responded to you by now. 

hope everything works out. 

• Like 3

This has happened to us a few times; don't sweat it. With Square you go through the resolution process and provide documentation that supports you. Square sends your documentation and the customer's documentation to the bank issuing the credit card for adjudication. We have been upheld every time. Takes awhile but do send everything that supports you. All the customer can provide is " I didn't make this purchase". You have the swiped card purchase and a signature. The only way you lose is if the customer has reported the card as stolen after the purchase. So, don't sweat it.

• Like 2

Square.com

You pay a flat percentage regardless of the cc processor. You can get the little doohickey that plugs into your cell phone or buy the square register setup for I think $199. Lots of reports and bells and whistles with Square. We love it. Much better than all of the standard cc processors we had in the past. Been with Square for I think four years now. No issues with them.

• Like 1

I think you'll be okay when all is said and done.  I've had that happen once in 6 years.  I love square and all it does.  You can get a free card reader just by visiting their website.  The chip reader is 50.00 I think.  I love it.  It's faster than most systems in the stores.  I require a signature for all credit card purchases regardless if it's 5.00 or 500.00.  Their processing fees are 2.75% for run cards and a bit more if you have to manually enter them. 

The reports and stock tracking is awesome.   Gives me low stock notifications. 

Thanks for all the support and comments. I just felt flustered because in all the years I have been taking credit cards I never had a customer do that. Since I still haven't heard from them I kind of assume the customer figured it out.

Moonstar-- Square is really the best thing to hit the public since chocolate milk as far as I'm concerned. You just sign up at Squareup.com, order a reader, and when you get it just start taking credit cards the same day. You can even sign up and go to your local Walmart, Radio Shack, Target, Staples, and buy a dual chip/stripe reader for about $30 and use it all in the same day. Its wonderful. Like Shari says Square has lots of perks and you can control your account and get sales info through your dashboard online. I even have a Squareup website and its free. There are no fees. Its free. You only pay per transaction the charge and transaction fees. Considering other websites, credit card companies, and shopping cart companies I have paid money to in the past to have a working webstore Square is the best and totally free. I love my new Square website and I still get paid the same as using the reader at craft shows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Fields said:

Square.com

You pay a flat percentage regardless of the cc processor. You can get the little doohickey that plugs into your cell phone or buy the square register setup for I think $199. Lots of reports and bells and whistles with Square. We love it. Much better than all of the standard cc processors we had in the past. Been with Square for I think four years now. No issues with them.

Thank you ?

28 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Thanks for all the support and comments. I just felt flustered because in all the years I have been taking credit cards I never had a customer do that. Since I still haven't heard from them I kind of assume the customer figured it out.

Moonstar-- Square is really the best thing to hit the public since chocolate milk as far as I'm concerned. You just sign up at Squareup.com, order a reader, and when you get it just start taking credit cards the same day. You can even sign up and go to your local Walmart, Radio Shack, Target, Staples, and buy a dual chip/stripe reader for about $30 and use it all in the same day. Its wonderful. Like Shari says Square has lots of perks and you can control your account and get sales info through your dashboard online. I even have a Squareup website and its free. There are no fees. Its free. You only pay per transaction the charge and transaction fees. Considering other websites, credit card companies, and shopping cart companies I have paid money to in the past to have a working webstore Square is the best and totally free. I love my new Square website and I still get paid the same as using the reader at craft shows.

I've been wanting to get Square for quite some time now. Thanks !

On 9/18/2016 at 5:58 PM, Candybee said:

BTW-- TT it was a swipe.  If it had a chip in it and I swiped it I could be responsible if it was a fraudulent purchase. But I will wait and see what happens before I do anything else at this point.

Does this mean a customer with a credit card that has a chip cannot use the Square magstrip reader?

Goldie

Just now, GoldieMN said:

Does this mean a customer with a credit card that has a chip cannot use the Square magstrip reader?

Goldie

Actually the chip cards will work in either the chip reader or the old swiper. The caveat being the forfeit of their new fraud protection if a chip is used in the swiper. It is super easy to use either one. The chip was much faster than I thought it would be. Am super pleased with the purchase.

There are actually 3 card readers that I have seen besides the register setup.

The original magstripe reader is the free one that Square will send you when you sign up for it. Next is the newer version with both the chip and magstripe reader built into one convenient reader. These new dual readers run about $30 and you can purchase through Square, or pick one up at Walmart, Target, Staples, or Radio Shack.

Then there is the blue tooth chip reader which is a flat reader about 3x3x1/4". This reader runs about $50. The first wave of these readers when they came out they just didn't work the way they were supposed to plus not being able to swipe a magstripe they were limited in their ability to read the majority of the cards out there since many still don't have the chips yet.

My favorite is the combo chip/magstripe reader as you come in contact with both types of cards.

One thing to remember is that Square will cover fraudulent chip card payments only if you use one of the new chip readers and only if you use the chip reader for a chip card. If you use the old magstripe card reader or swipe a chip card on the new reader and the charge turns out to be fraudulent you are held responsible. So get a new chip reader card and use the chip reader for all chip cards.

• Like 1

Do you have the combo one?

I was looking at the feedback on it as I broke down to buy a chip reader.

That would be the best of both worlds, especially since the Bluetooth one is tied to a device, so when my DH is helping out he needs my phone to process cards. Gets super inconvenient in a hurry. I need a second chip reader that is reliable. 

Trappeur-- I haven't heard anything back. Hopefully they got it sorted out.

TT-- the new dual chip reader is works sooooo much better than that miserable flat blue tooth model. At least the dual reader works half the time. But it still has its hiccups and occasionally it won't read. No problemo, everyone keeps the old magstripe reader and just unplug the new dual reader and plug in the old magstripe reader and swipe the card.

I always carry both readers with me at markets and craft shows.

I sent the blue tooth chip reader back to Square. I called them and told them it simply wouldn't work on my phone. The guy on the phone at Square emailed me the postage to print out and tape on to the reader box so I could simply send it back. Got my $50 bucks back in my account in about one week. They were very helpful and efficient getting my money refunded.

So... the same day I called Square to return the blue tooth reader I marched down to Staples and bought the new dual reader and used it that weekend.

Just make sure you update to Square's latest software which you can do through your phone on their site.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Are there ANY other fees or obligations other than the 2.75%/swipe?  I keep trying to find information on this as merchants using other readers seem to get surprises for this, that, and the other thing.  Like if they don't have enough sales in a month, they are charged a fee.

Goldie

3 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Are there ANY other fees or obligations other than the 2.75%/swipe?  I keep trying to find information on this as merchants using other readers seem to get surprises for this, that, and the other thing.  Like if they don't have enough sales in a month, they are charged a fee.

Goldie

No surprises here, and I have been with square since the very beginning.

https://squareup.com/pricing

Clear pricing. Fast deposits. No surprise fees.

Know exactly what you pay and get paid fast with Square.

Ask about custom volume rates.

Do your annual sales exceed $250,000? Get in touch with our sales team. We can help find the right transaction rate for you.

• Like 1

There is one other charge/fee and that is only if you have a Squareup website. When a cusomer makes a purchase on my square website I pay 2.9% flat rate plus $ .30 transaction fee. You only pay this for the website.

The reader fee you pay for swiping a card or reading a chip card from your reader is a flat 2.75%... actually, I did the math and it really comes out to more like 2.755%. I kept wondering why Square would take the extra penny or two out of my payments so I figured out the real % they use is 2.755%

So... if I have a website sale the fee/rate is 2.9% with $.30 trans fee.

The reader takes out the 2.755% only.

Edited by Candybee