Fragrance Load

I just realized that I doubled my fragrance load by mistake. I poured 60 candles and instead of using 1oz per pound, I used 2oz. I'm using C3 and see that the max load is 8%. I am extremely cautious, and wonder if this is going to cause a hazard. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm very frustrated by this silly error. 

C3 (for me) is notorious for seeping anytime I go above 8.5%... try leaving the lids off for a full 24 hours at least. If it does seep, you can try to absorb some of the oil with paper towels,  hth.

1 hour ago, lmc said:

C3 (for me) is notorious for seeping anytime I go above 8.5%... try leaving the lids off for a full 24 hours at least. If it does seep, you can try to absorb some of the oil with paper towels,  hth.

I have had that happen to me once in a while using my same amount of fragrance load which I never understood. But it freaked me out so I never sold them like like that. Even after trying to wipe off after a couple days there would be seeping but I still didn't feel comfortable selling them. 

I have just started selling and had a panic attack when I realized what I did. I have been burning one today and it seems fine. If you look really close, it looks like there are tiny pinpoint seep spots, but I would imagine most wouldn't put it under the microscope like I would. I was more worried about it being dangerous. On the Cargill handling instructions, it says that if you do 10% you need to use an additive to stabilize the fragrance. Stabilize it from seeping, or stabilize it from catching fire??

i would burn several. That is a pretty big difference from what you have already tested. 

Put one in the car on a hot day for a ride to town and back, like a customer would if shopping with you at a market or craft fair. Keep a few with you at fairs then bring them home. Mail one to yourself, especially if it is hot where you are. See how they burn after. Even freeze one as if it were being shipped in the winter.

you might notice it shooting more as it burns further into the container, that much extra fuel will combust differently from one with less fuel. you may notice more mushrooming or more smoke in drafts. I would hang onto them for a while before selling as it is cheaper to test long and thorough than to do a recall.

• Like 1

I think those are great ideas and honestly feel much better doing what you suggest, rather than selling something that makes me nervous. Thank you so much for the feedback!!

Edited by Lori

I agree with what everyone said about testing.  But my opinion (I know you won't want to hear this), but being that I sell to stores....if that happened to me, I just couldn't take the chance and put it out to the public, now that is just me.  All it takes is 1 candle to maybe have it burn very wrong and have that customer have a real disaster. C3 does have the tendancy to weep with too much oil added, but I always stuck to 6%.   I too at one time did just what you did and I tested some of them.  Some did fine and some didn't do so fine.  They burned differently, don't know why but they did.  Long story short,  I wound up chipping all the wax out of the jars and started over.  At least I had a clear concious and I put out a candle made by my "safety" standards.....

Just this morning I had a mishap.  I have a friend who calls me 20 times a day just to yack.  Now I told her when I'm making candles don't call me as I can't juggle and talk and pour scents, measure oils into different post, etc and do all this while she is talking away.  Well I just did a dozen candles and poured the wrong overpour onto the candles.  Well, so now I have to scrape off the tops of them and make some more new oil for the over pours.  

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
forgot something
  • Like 2

You could put them in the oven at a very low temperature until they have all melted and then pour out off the jars.

You could do the freezer thing like you said and then I use a knife but extremely extremely very carefully start chipping out.  This is what I do.  Once you make that first chip into the wax and get 1 piece out, the rest will come out in seconds.  But the thing is to NOT put any stress on the glass with whatever you are removing the wax with.  You will figure out your own system....

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've remelted candles before by doing what Trappeur suggested. I used a cookie sheet and placed several jars on it in a low oven. I just did one scent at a time and had my pour pot ready to pour the wax into. I just repoured the wax into a freshly wicked jars.

So what you can do with yours is add enough fresh wax into the remelted candle wax so that you have the correct FO load. They should be just fine. But to be sure always let them cure as usual and test.

• Like 2