Upscale spaish, boutiquish, aromatherapy fall/thanksgiving scents?

Trappeur

I have a shop I have to figure out what I can offer to her as fall/thanksgiving new fragrances she wants to bring into her shop.  Now what the heck can I offer to her that leans towards the scents that she likes like the spa-ish, upscale, aromatherapy type.  She doesn't  like bakery scents but hey, isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about?  She is a hard to please person and likes only what she wants.  Unbelievable....but slowly she is coming around to understanding that you can't sell just what you like, you have to think of what the average customer would like and try to offer something for everyone.  This is the shop that sells many fragrances of wine that I make for her and she is really doing a knock out job on this.  Maybe some blends or something?

This is what she carries now so you have an idea what her look is and what she caters to:

Vanilla champagne, chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, wine by candlelight, lemon verbena, lux linen, limoncello (my own blend), mango mojito, vanilla pear sorbet, crisp apple (is really mac apple), peach nectar, chocolate bon bons (is really chocolate brownies), toasted vanilla (is really vbn), crackling firewood (is really Christmas hearth).

Is there really such a thing as upscale scents that can be Thanksgiving?

What I have come up with so far is Coriander and Tonka (CS), Mediterranean Fig (CS), Pumpkin Creme Bruleee (Need to change the name). Balsam Fir.

I was thinking since she does the wine maybe I could do some type of wine cider?

Trappeur

• Like 2

Ive bought candles from Restoration Hardware over the holiday and they are really nice. I attached a link for you to maybe get ideas. 

I have the regular fig from CS + I love that ! I wanna try the brandied pear from CS too - looks like it gets mixed reviews on HT though ? 

Same with the buttered rum I noticed, mixed reviews on HT. Have you tried Fillmores Lemon Biscotti - Love that one ! I wanna try CS Blood orange mixed

with some Christree tree - if you like citrus, their Blood Orange is fantastic. How about Candle Cacoons raspberry white chocolate truffle or raspberry 

cordial, haven't tried them but they seem holiday -ish to me . She also has a Brandied Pear. Fillmore has a Cranberry Citrus thats really nice.

CS Apple Bourbon - I love that one too :) 

Cant wait to see what you come up with :) 

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?categoryId=cat140010https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?categoryId=cat140010https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?categoryId=cat140010

http://www.anthropologie.com/uk/en/product/7552600470081.jsp#/

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

I want to make one called "Autumn Leaves".  Not sure what that should smell like.  I did get Rustic Escentuals Spiced Autumn Wreath and Falling Leaves but haven't put them in soy yet.  Definitely not bakery to my nose.  Their "Cedar, Sage, & Blackberry" gets good reviews; did you get that sample?  Not necessarily for fall but at least it isn't another apple scent.  Not sure why I didn't order that sample. . .

Goldie

How about a tobacco?  I like Aztec's Tobacco, and RE has one I really like...I think it is their Pipe Tobacco.  Not that they are necessarily Thanksgiving scents, but they have a warmth I think of when I think of fall scents. Also, RE's Oak Barrel Cider is very nice.  Other scents that come to mind are Cracklin' Birch, Twigs and Berries, something nutty...maybe Chestnuts & Cherries or Chestnut & Brown Sugar.  Maybe a Chai. 
Hmmm....now I'm rethinking my fall lineup.  Good luck!

• Like 1

flaming candle's Autumn Wind is upscale and a big seller for me.  Merlin's Forest is another that comes to mind.  Spa's tend to like the ocean scents, lavender, anything calming, Eucalyptus Mint is another.   I don't think "fall" has to mean Pumpkin scents or bakery scents.  I will do 1 pumpkin scent this fall and that's it.  Bring her smellies so she can pick from what you already carry.  Anything can be renamed to make it spa like...well except bakery, lol.  I hate bakery scents and carry very few so I can relate to what she is saying.  Most of them gag me so I can't even pour them. 

Thought of another, I mixed fig with cranberry marmalade and it was a hit last year.  Another that I personally didn't like but it sold.

Candle Science describes their fall scents as warm & inviting. 

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

Hey Trappeur,

Ohhhhhh.....I love the idea of a Wine Cider scent! That sounds nice Trappeur! Have you ever bought from Sweet Cakes? They have a divine Oatmeal , Milk and Honey and an awesome Honey scent too. I did a .75 of the OMH with .25 of their Honey and it is divine! You could easily blend some Vanilla Voodoo to it also..yumm!  Their honey is just out of this world. Maybe a blend of Tangerine and Honey. A blend of Honey, Coconut and Vanilla. Also maybe a plain Honey and several different Vanillas that you may have. How about BDay Cake, Buttercream Frosting (if you have never bought from Day-Star...oh my this is awesome..good excuse to buy and get their Cake Batter too because this is in the blend too) , Vanilla Voodoo, Cake Batter and Creme Brulee OR Ooey Gooey Caramel....this is awesome too! If the shop likes Patchouli....I love this blend .50 Cinnamon and .50 Patchouli ..I call it Black Cinnamon. I just love this blend ...Honeydew Melon and Vanilla Ice Cream...very Spa like and delicious! I call it Honeydew Ice Cream.  How about Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Souffle, Buttercream Frosting and Honey blend.   Oh this is so fun! :) I hope you find your perfect blend Trappeur!

• Like 3

I was on browsing  Candlewic and noticed they have some interesting scents. Moroccan Water Mint - Merry Mint, but it's described as having Bergamot ,

orange - lavandin etc - sounds more spa-ish than Merry :) Im going to order their Sugared Vanilla Shortbread - Ive heard great reviews _ that it's strong.

Currently I use the one from ICS + add a tad of lavender -Lavender shortbread, I really like it. There's also a smoked Birch on there that sound interesting.

Aromatherapy ideas : Lavender + orange / Orange + Cinnamon / Pink Grapefruit/vanilla maybe ? I was looking through one of my vintage nature books + 

came across a picture of a Snow Owl - Sounds like a cool name - now how to translate that to a scent ?? lol ! Day Star has a Parsley Water that Ive been 

wanting to try lol ! I know but it sounds very relaxing . Do you or your customer like Neroli or orange blossom ? I see that in a ton of armoatherapy candles.

Not sure how it is in a FO but I buy a very small amount EO  from Eden Botanicals for personal use. WAY TOO expensive for anything else.It's very calming. 

Guest OldGlory

Gluhwein (pronounced glu' vine) is a hot mulled wine drink, served sometimes with a little sugar. It is so yummy, and a fall/winter type drink. There should be an oomlat (sp?) over the 'u' in gluhwein to be spelled correctly.

To make it, use your most robust dry red wine scent and mix in some apple cider - I would start with 75% wine, 25% apple cider. Aztec has the perfect mulled cider scent that would lend itself to this sort of drink. The sweetness of the apples will give the right sweetness to the gluhwein. You should have a very strong cinnamon and clove presence in it.

Gosh, now I am thinking about offering it, lol. I may have talked myself into it.

Also, I would go with woods and frosty scents (hint of peppermint or spearmint). I think a winterberry wine would be good - mixed with some wine,  mulberry, cranberry, maybe a little apple.

Aztec's tobacco is a great suggestion. Think of the notes in wine - some have tobacco notes, chocolate notes, nutty notes, specific fruits like blackberries or cherries, etc.

oMG I never thought I would get responses like this.  I've been studying this page for the past hour.  Each and everyone is so great!

The fig sounds like a good one considering I don't even know what a fig is!  Closest I've been to a fig is Fig Newtons...lol

Moonstar that's a great one, the Brandied Pear.  I had forgotten about that one.  I have CC's pear and CS Brandied pear.  The brandied pear by CS is by far much nicer I think.  I used to sell it all the time.  You don't really smell the brandy in it, but maybe I can tweak it a bit and add some brandy to it....And Blood Orange mixed with a fir....hmmmm very interesting...could be nice.  I've looked at Blood Orange a million times but I never bought it because of the name..kinda weird to think that way.  That name just turns me off.  I'll have to rethink this one.  Those links  you listed....oh my those to die for cranberry and amber jars are totally awesome.  I've been looking for  a long time for some amber but no luck yet.  I'm sure these are all custom.  And those anthorpology candles I've been drooling over.....!  Apples and maple bourbon is a gorgeous gorgeous scent from CS.  Matter of fact I just poured a couple a few days ago!

Autumn leaves and a tobacco I love...!  Dang, Flaming came today and tomorrow another delivery from them...I'll get a sample of Autumn Winds....

Old Glory I love that cider wine drink!  I'm going to try it...Now that would be different.  Would Chardonnay be a good wine to start with?  Wait till she see's this one!  I know she will love it since she loves wine fragrances...Now what is a winterberry wine?  Who has that one?

Great start...thankyou everyone..

Trappeur

• Like 1

Puma, I love love every combo you come up with.  They are right up my alley.  I'm definitely going to work on some of your combos.  I have every one of those scents.  I'm going to make some for me too!

Trappeur 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

The actual gluhwein is made with a robust RED wine while chardonnay is a WHITE wine. But that's the fun of blending scents - you get to do what you want. Winterberry wine is just a suggestion for another custom blend, it's not something carried by our suppliers. I thought adding some unusual fruity notes, maybe mulberry and cranberry, would give your client something new to try.

Also, I sold a blend of Mistletoe Kisses and White Tea & Ginger years ago that my customers were crazy about. Both are from Aztec. It is very upscale and different.

Edited by OldGlory
forgot to mention..

20 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

I want to make one called "Autumn Leaves".  Not sure what that should smell like.  I did get Rustic Escentuals Spiced Autumn Wreath and Falling Leaves but haven't put them in soy yet.  Definitely not bakery to my nose.  Their "Cedar, Sage, & Blackberry" gets good reviews; did you get that sample?  Not necessarily for fall but at least it isn't another apple scent.  Not sure why I didn't order that sample. . .

Goldie

Falling leaves is nice blended with other fragrances, like a tiny bit of dirt or wood smoke.

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't read through everyone's post, but just think of typical fall fragrances and start pairing them together. 

But let's go one better because what you primarily listed was fruits and vanillas. 

I'll stay fruit side, because vanilla and I weren't made for each other very much

Sage and apple (might take some hints of juniper berry) to pull this off ... A nice dry sage with a hint of apple and a touch of a type of forest that you can't quite put your finger on ... might work. 

Go to AH/RE and get their Rustic Lodge, change the name ... it might work for her ... and it has a hint of apple! 

Cranberry and sage and possibly a hint of grapefruit (pink) might be a good mix. 

Apple and frank & myrrh might work out. Both frank and myrrh are wonderful on their own about as much as they are together. 

Get some rosewood from somewhere and work that with some apple or pear ... I am not envisioning citrus with it, but vanilla with a touch of sandalwood might produce something. 

In scrolling up I see some wine ideas that were offered. They sound great. Would any of them work with hints of wood? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scented said:

Sorry, I didn't read through everyone's post, but just think of typical fall fragrances and start pairing them together. 

But let's go one better because what you primarily listed was fruits and vanillas. 

I'll stay fruit side, because vanilla and I weren't made for each other very much

Sage and apple (might take some hints of juniper berry) to pull this off ... A nice dry sage with a hint of apple and a touch of a type of forest that you can't quite put your finger on ... might work. 

Go to AH/RE and get their Rustic Lodge, change the name ... it might work for her ... and it has a hint of apple! 

Cranberry and sage and possibly a hint of grapefruit (pink) might be a good mix. 

Apple and frank & myrrh might work out. Both frank and myrrh are wonderful on their own about as much as they are together. 

Get some rosewood from somewhere and work that with some apple or pear ... I am not envisioning citrus with it, but vanilla with a touch of sandalwood might produce something. 

In scrolling up I see some wine ideas that were offered. They sound great. Would any of them work with hints of wood? 

I love the Rustic Lodge from RE, It was one of my choices in the 20 for $20 sale. I also liked the Main Street Christmas + Plumbery Spice - I think 

thats what its called. I love OldGlory's Mulled Cider + wine idea - sounds awesome ! BTW ... How do you go about renaming FO's - Im horrible 

at that .

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't change the name of Rustic Lodge, except she might not be into the name is all. 

I can't remember if I have that same Plumberry spice, but if I do ... it will require a rename, I think. LIke what is a plumberry ya know? 

So when I start renaming I try to pay attention to the description of the fragrance and then I go from there. It helps way more if I can smell it and sometimes nothing comes to mind so I start searching for things ... like we have a Fairie Hallow scent that comes from white oak and violet I believe it is ... somehow the two together in a search both went back to Fairies so we played with names and came up with that. 

I don't color a scent till I can smell the fragrance ... except I do butt naked a very light coral with a light pink that sometimes comes out darker because I'm trying to match the color of butts, both burned and unburned I guess. 

We have some of Peak's fragrances that we've blended into various things and one of them got called Saucy Wench ... can't even remember what it was called before that, but that name just stuck so we use it. It's great when minds come together to help with names though. 

So I wasn't helpful in the slightest, but thanks for letting me ramble lol! 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1

Scents that came to mind:

Peaks spruceberry (somehow relaxing and invigorating at the same time)

Peaks holiday sparkle (really does smell like you're sipping on a mimosa by the xmas tree) has an upscale spa-like aroma to me

BBW cranberry woods, I don't know who has a good dupe but I friggin love that scent so much.

BBW Leaves - still looking for a good dupe of this one too

Candle cacoon - Frank and myrrh (I can't keep it in stock)

Peaks nag champa (Could offer her line some diversity, warm and comforting to my nose)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On August 25, 2016 at 0:51 PM, grama said:

Really have no idea but 2 I really love and I thought of after you said Mediterranean Fig is Cranberry Fig, probably my most favorite scent of all, and Balsam & Citrus from Elements B&B.  

Im thinking about getting Elements Balsam + Citrus. How would you best describe it,is it strong. Ive never tried a Cranberry Fig. Is that also Elements ?

Elements Rocky Mountain Pine was also mentioned as a great one . Thanks so much :) 

Balsam and Citrus is one of my favs. It's a great temperament of the balsam with the liveliness of citrus. Their's says cranberry, but I don't pick it up. I pick up the citrus of the orange more than grapefruit, but I think the balsam anchors it. Would like to help you more with a description, but I'm not that great at it today. 

To me it is overwhelmingly pleasing. No harsh notes of any kind. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scented said:

Balsam and Citrus is one of my favs. It's a great temperament of the balsam with the liveliness of citrus. Their's says cranberry, but I don't pick it up. I pick up the citrus of the orange more than grapefruit, but I think the balsam anchors it. Would like to help you more with a description, but I'm not that great at it today. 

To me it is overwhelmingly pleasing. No harsh notes of any kind. 

Just what I wanted to hear !

thanks so much ??

Cranberry Fig is Elements also.  This is their description -  Tart Cranberries surrounded by fig leaves & warm clove. The dry down has a lingering scent of sweet vanilla, musk and spicy floral.  Both Balsam & Citrus and Cranberry Fig have good reviews.  I have been really satisfied with all I have bought from them.

• Like 1

Here is another idea 

when you said she she prefers upscale spa type scents the first thing that came to my mind was SC red currant votivo type

This scent is amazing and strong and totally reminds me of a Indian summer (that's what I renamed it) everything Fall tart and sweet  

You could mix it maybe with a sage or maybe a cider or pumpkin but I think it's great on its own 

• Like 1