Are sales as good for parasoy as they are for soy wax?

I'm still having big problems getting a decent hot throw with soy wax and I'm seriously considering switching to parasoy but I'm wondering if customers are OK with not pure soy in any big way? I mean, I realize a lot of people want pure soy, but are sales also healthy for parasoy? I have some new wicks coming (CDs) and maybe they will make the difference in hot throw but I'm beginning to think it's the atmosphere here in the CA high desert that's messing with the soy hot throw because I've been following advice from here that is working great for others and I can't still can't smell it in a med. bedroom until I'm about 2 feet away (burning for 1 hour). Other family members can't either. It's making me crazy! Would you recommend selling parasoy candles? Thanks! ?

If people didn't buy parasoy, there wouldn't be so many using it here.  I'd search and see what most are using, seems many are blending their own.

Also, forgot to ask if you are curing those melts before using them.  C3 takes a good week to cure, sometimes longer to get a good ht.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

Sometimes I get impatient and only cure the candles for a couple of days, but I have tried to go at least a week as a rule. I have many that have cured for several weeks now. I haven't started doing melts yet, but that's my next project once I get the hot throw down. I'm glad to see you say that there are a lot of parasoy users here. That means there must be a market. Interesting to know that many blend their own. It would be nice to be able to use up this nice C3 in a blend. Oh boy, new stuff to learn! That's OK though.  I just keep telling myself that I only lose if I give up! Thanks for the info! ?

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

If people didn't buy parasoy, there wouldn't be so many using it here.  I'd search and see what most are using, seems many are blending their own.

Also, forgot to ask if you are curing those melts before using them.  C3 takes a good week to cure, sometimes longer to get a good ht.

Whoops, I replied below without quoting you, so it's a random reply.  Sorry for any confusion. I need caffeine! ?  Sometimes I get impatient and only cure the candles for a couple of days, but I have tried to go at least a week as a rule. I have many that have cured for several weeks now. I haven't started doing melts yet, but that's my next project once I get the hot throw down. I'm glad to see you say that there are a lot of parasoy users here. That means there must be a market. Interesting to know that many blend their own. It would be nice to be able to use up this nice C3 in a blend. Oh boy, new stuff to learn! That's OK though.  I just keep telling myself that I only lose if I give up! Thanks for the info! ?

12 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I work with only paraffin, and I either sell out or close to sell out every show I go to, so it's really all in how you market and make your product more so than what it is.

Really great to know the market is there! I know that Yankee isn't soy, but I thought maybe smaller craftspeople would need to cater to soy wax lovers. I love the incredible ease of working with soy and the feel of the wax, but that paraffin hot throw is very enticing! Good to know I have options! Thank you!?

I know lot of folks use plain soy and have great results. I, however, did not. I tested and tested and never got a hot throw I was happy with. I was using soy because I believed the hype about it's eco friendliness and buyer appeal. I switched to parasoy and haven't looked back. I get results I'm happy with and my customers are, too. Ultimately, when customers buy a candle or a tart, it's supposed to smell nice. Good quality is paramount. If the candle is a dud they won't care that it was soy, just that it didn't blow the doors off with fragrance. Don't pander to what you think customers will like. Make a product that you are happy with and that you feel is the best it can be. 

• Like 2

What I'd suggest next instead of testing blends right away is to add Universal Soy Additive to your wax.  Of course this is only if you really would like to stick to soy.  I really am having a hard time with none of your fo having a good ht.  I use straight C3 with the Univ Soy Additive and have no problems with most scents in both candles & melts. 

Another thought is to be sure the fo you purchase have been tested and rated in soy wax.  Sometimes the supplier provides this info and sometimes you need to read the reviews. 

I know it can be frustrating but the initial testing takes time and a whole lot of patience with any wax, especially with candles because you need to factor that wick and flame into the equation.  I literally tested for 6 months before I found a combo I was happy with in a candle, melts were quite a bit easier and I did both at once so at least got some

satisfaction while in the testing phase.  Each new fo we all go through the same testing, just most stick to same wicks and jars so it doesn't take as long to weed out duds.

• Like 2

there is a market for all types of candles - I have more people around my area wanting soy because of the things they have read that it's healthier to burn etc- I started with soy and have stuck with soy because I too believed all this in my research years ago and soy fit my brand at that time that I was trying to achieve - rustic, no color candles 

I now inform all my customers that parasoy and paraffin are just as good and not any more harmful and that I am in the works of launching a parasoy line with colors - and it's like a light bulb turning on with them and they are now patiently waiting for me to get these done to try them  -it's been taking me forever with my other job and testing and keeping up with making the soy but I will get there - eventually 

try the USA in your soy - I use it and I don't think it does much for the throw but it really helps with making the candle a little harder and getting a better burn and try out those CD's- I love them and in 464 I had good luck with HTPS as well and 

in between play with parasoy see how you like it and IMO it is easier to deal with making them than soy - I love it and it does throw better but the issues I have because I have always worked with soy is the sooting but all testing takes tremendous time and trial and error 

resesrch your area and who you want to market to - some people are dead set on soy and others don't care so long as it smells good

• Like 1

On March 20, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Faerywren said:

I know lot of folks use plain soy and have great results. I, however, did not. I tested and tested and never got a hot throw I was happy with. I was using soy because I believed the hype about it's eco friendliness and buyer appeal. I switched to parasoy and haven't looked back. I get results I'm happy with and my customers are, too. Ultimately, when customers buy a candle or a tart, it's supposed to smell nice. Good quality is paramount. If the candle is a dud they won't care that it was soy, just that it didn't blow the doors off with fragrance. Don't pander to what you think customers will like. Make a product that you are happy with and that you feel is the best it can be. 

Thank you for answering. I feel lees weird knowing that I'm not the only one that threw my heart and soul into soy and still couldn't get that hot throw.Fantastic to know you're happy with the change! Do you mix your own parasoy? 

On March 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM, kandlekrazy said:

What I'd suggest next instead of testing blends right away is to add Universal Soy Additive to your wax.  Of course this is only if you really would like to stick to soy.  I really am having a hard time with none of your fo having a good ht.  I use straight C3 with the Univ Soy Additive and have no problems with most scents in both candles & melts. 

Another thought is to be sure the fo you purchase have been tested and rated in soy wax.  Sometimes the supplier provides this info and sometimes you need to read the reviews. 

I know it can be frustrating but the initial testing takes time and a whole lot of patience with any wax, especially with candles because you need to factor that wick and flame into the equation.  I literally tested for 6 months before I found a combo I was happy with in a candle, melts were quite a bit easier and I did both at once so at least got some

satisfaction while in the testing phase.  Each new fo we all go through the same testing, just most stick to same wicks and jars so it doesn't take as long to weed out duds.

I could try the soy additive with the C3, but I tried it with 444 & it didn't help with that. I am always careful to get soy based FO. It's been frustrating  because I feel like I've tried just about everything. I've been really focused on learning all I can about hot throw and I've been trying to leave no stone unturned.  One thing I've started to wonder about though...  I ALWAYS melt the wax in the microwave and I'm thinking maybe it messes with the molecular structure of the wax? I always figured melting is melting, but now I wonder.

17 hours ago, chuck_35550 said:

Clarus 3022 parasoy 70% soy and 30% paraffin. Connie's Candles offers slabs or you can contact Clarus.

Thanks for the info! I'll check them out right away. It would be great not to have to make my own blend.

On March 20, 2016 at 1:50 PM, OldGlory said:

Maybe the problem isn't with the wax.

I know that might be possible, but  then I'm at a real loss. Unless maybe there is something about where I live. Too awful to think about!

11 minutes ago, chevril said:

I could try the soy additive with the C3, but I tried it with 444 & it didn't help with that. I am always careful to get soy based FO. It's been frustrating  because I feel like I've tried just about everything. I've been really focused on learning all I can about hot throw and I've been trying to leave no stone unturned.  One thing I've started to wonder about though...  I ALWAYS melt the wax in the microwave and I'm thinking maybe it messes with the molecular structure of the wax? I always figured melting is melting, but now I wonder.

If I was a betting person I would bet your statement of buying soy based oils could be one of your problems - when I started the very first supplier I bought from was candlesoylutions- soy based and they didn't throw at all - now I was green and green can be so maybe they do work but they didn't for me and I moved on to a different wax and different suppliers 

try CS oils and see what you think- they have many great throwers 

also I don't know about microwave but get a mini presto pot to melt in- they cost 30-40 and Walmart usually has them and very well worth the investment and a thermometer will insure accurate temps and even melting 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

On March 20, 2016 at 1:22 PM, moonshine said:

there is a market for all types of candles - I have more people around my area wanting soy because of the things they have read that it's healthier to burn etc- I started with soy and have stuck with soy because I too believed all this in my research years ago and soy fit my brand at that time that I was trying to achieve - rustic, no color candles 

I now inform all my customers that parasoy and paraffin are just as good and not any more harmful and that I am in the works of launching a parasoy line with colors - and it's like a light bulb turning on with them and they are now patiently waiting for me to get these done to try them  -it's been taking me forever with my other job and testing and keeping up with making the soy but I will get there - eventually 

try the USA in your soy - I use it and I don't think it does much for the throw but it really helps with making the candle a little harder and getting a better burn and try out those CD's- I love them and in 464 I had good luck with HTPS as well and 

in between play with parasoy see how you like it and IMO it is easier to deal with making them than soy - I love it and it does throw better but the issues I have because I have always worked with soy is the sooting but all testing takes tremendous time and trial and error 

resesrch your area and who you want to market to - some people are dead set on soy and others don't care so long as it smells good

Thanks for answering. I'm very happy to know that your customers are willing to try parasoy after being soy devotees. Very encouraging! Glad also to know you like the CDs. Since I can't afford  parasoy until the first of the month I'll go ahead and try the CDs with the soy wax and any other suggestions anyone else has because I have about 25 pounds left and not a lot to lose!

1 minute ago, moonshine said:

If I was a betting person I would bet your statement of buying soy based oils could be one of your problems - when I started the bery first supplier I bought from was candlesoylutions- soy based and they didn't throw at all 

try CS oils and see what you think- they have many great throwers 

also I don't know about microwave but get a mini presto pot to melt in- they cost 30-40 and Walmart usually has them and very well worth the investment and a thermometer will insure accurate temps and even melting 

Actually, I guess I was wrong when I said I just get soy based FO. I should have said that I just get FO that is OK to use with soy wax. My newbieness showing through! I have heaps of CS FO because they are great with the low postage & quick shipping to CA. I LOVE so many of their scents and the cold throw is usually amazing. What gets me is that I read the reviews on the CS site and I get the ones that people say have a powerful hot throw with soy. The basil (smells like tomato leaf) is so strong some people can't stand to keep it in the house. I thought "great, I like tomato leaf", but the hot throw I get wouldn't run the biggest tomato leaf hater out of their home. I was SURE the lilac would be good with that glorious cold throw, but I couldn't smell it until I got about 2 ft away and then very mild. I'm sure it's ME, not CS. I'll get the Presto pot  after the first of April. I should have gotten one awhile ago but the microwave was so easy for testing. I think I'll try soy in it and then parasoy and see what I get. Boy, when people buy a great smelling candle they have NO IDEA what work may have gone into getting it right!

Have you ever thought you may have "candle nose"!!  Have you had someone else test your candles? There are several things that can effect/affect (I never remember which to use) you being able to smell them yourself.  Well now I see where you said other family members can't either.  That was all I could think of. 

Edited by grama
  • Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I went back and read your initial comment. One hour is definitely NOT enough time to get a good hot throw unless you are burning a votive.

Is it C3 you are using? I have a friend that uses C3 and her candles are awesome. I use 464 and get a great hot throw, so that leaves out 464. If you are using either of those waxes you have to look at other factors.

Which fragrances are you using? I need specifics here... the name of the fragrance and where you bought it.

How wide and how deep is your jar? exactly

Has your candle reached a full melt pool when you test it?

Since you are in CA I'm going to assume you are buying your wax at General Wax??  Try their custom blend if you want a blended wax, it does come in slabs and is a blend of soy & paraffin I believe.  I've never used it, but you can also go to their outlet store (which is not cheaper, except you will save shipping.)  They also offer classes for soy wax that may help you.  I have never used a microwave to melt wax, even in the beginning I used a double boiler method until I bought my first Presto.  The presto pots are just under $25.00 at Walmart, no spigot but its a good way to start cheaply, just ladle out the wax.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chevril said:

Thank you for answering. I feel lees weird knowing that I'm not the only one that threw my heart and soul into soy and still couldn't get that hot throw.Fantastic to know you're happy with the change! Do you mix your own parasoy? 

I do. It started out because I already had soy and paraffin on hand at the time (along with soooo many different wicks). I added 40% paraffin to my soy and kept my same wicking. Luckily, that is all it took to get me a hot throw I was happy with. I've been blending my own wax ever since. I have considered trying a preblended parasoy like 6006, just for ease of use, but don't know if I want to go through testing again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grama said:

Have you ever thought you may have "candle nose"!!  Have you had someone else test your candles? There are several things that can effect/affect (I never remember which to use) you being able to smell them yourself.  Well now I see where you said other family members can't either.  That was all I could think of. 

It's still possible, I guess. We all have sinus issues. Maybe it's worth seeing if friends will test just in case. :)

44 minutes ago, Faerywren said:

I do. It started out because I already had soy and paraffin on hand at the time (along with soooo many different wicks). I added 40% paraffin to my soy and kept my same wicking. Luckily, that is all it took to get me a hot throw I was happy with. I've been blending my own wax ever since. I have considered trying a preblended parasoy like 6006, just for ease of use, but don't know if I want to go through testing again.

Very cool that it was so easy to blend your own with good results. You're making me feel braver! :)

11 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Since you are in CA I'm going to assume you are buying your wax at General Wax??  Try their custom blend if you want a blended wax, it does come in slabs and is a blend of soy & paraffin I believe.  I've never used it, but you can also go to their outlet store (which is not cheaper, except you will save shipping.)  They also offer classes for soy wax that may help you.  I have never used a microwave to melt wax, even in the beginning I used a double boiler method until I bought my first Presto.  The presto pots are just under $25.00 at Walmart, no spigot but its a good way to start cheaply, just ladle out the wax.

I do get the C3 from General Wax. I'll probably try blending my own and also buy some of their blend and see what works best. I can' hardly wait for the Presto Pot (after the 1st of April). I should have gotten one a long time ago:)