Are sales as good for parasoy as they are for soy wax?

15 hours ago, OldGlory said:

I went back and read your initial comment. One hour is definitely NOT enough time to get a good hot throw unless you are burning a votive.

Is it C3 you are using? I have a friend that uses C3 and her candles are awesome. I use 464 and get a great hot throw, so that leaves out 464. If you are using either of those waxes you have to look at other factors.

Which fragrances are you using? I need specifics here... the name of the fragrance and where you bought it.

How wide and how deep is your jar? exactly

Has your candle reached a full melt pool when you test it?

I am using 4 oz & 8 oz jelly jars, C3 wax (tho I've tried 464 & 444)  and primarily CS and Northstar scents. I've used FO from Bittercreek and Flaming Candle as well as a few others, but 98% are CS & Northstar. I've used SOOO many scents it would bore you if I list them all, but examples of FOs that give great COLD throw (so I think I SHOULD get good hot throw) are : Candle Science- Orange Chili, Lilac, Very Vanilla, Chocolate, Basil, Red Hots & Mackintosh Apple and from Northstar- Banana Cream Pie, Cappuccino and Nag Champa. I've tried probably 35 to 45 scents. I am careful to get the melt all the way across and the pool is usually about 1/3 to 1/2 inch deep. How long would you recommend I burn to test? I appreciate very much any advice you can give! :)

Guest OldGlory

I'm guessing those jars are about 2.5" across and with a full melt pool you should get some sort of hot throw.

I know that the Orange Chili FO from Candle Science throws very well in 464.

I think your sniffer doesn't work.

Guest OldGlory

I'm guessing those jars are about 2.5" across and with a full melt pool you should get some sort of hot throw.

I know that the Orange Chili FO from Candle Science throws very well in 464.

I think your sniffer doesn't work.

I'm going to go back and read BUT I have had great success with soy waxes. I think I started about 2003 or so.  I used 100% soy from TN Celestial, Bluegrass, KY, Golden Foods 415. I don't particularly care for GF 464. I didn't like the soywax from Candlewic. I could never get the wicking solved. Then I tried the soy/cottonseed soy wax from KY. Stuck with that for some years. Then I moved to Enchanted Lites because I could pour hot and the scent throw was out of this world. I preferred the regular over their millenium blend. I used their regular soy until they went out of business.

I have never had a problem with scent throw (cold nor hot). I test, test, test, test fragrances in my own wax blends. I keep other wax reviewers results in the back of my head but my own testing supersedes all other testing. My scent blend is usually 8% max. If a fragrance oil doesn't perform at that percentage, it's not worth my money. I test my scents at 3 day cures and 7 day cures. I'm not waiting a 14 day cure for my candles. People might not agree with my fragrance evaluations timeline but it has worked for me.

My preference is straight cotton wicks: 44c, 51c, 60c, 62c (depending on the jar). I've tried other types of wicks and nothing has compared to straight cotton for ME.

I made my own parasoy blend with KY soy/cottonseed and 4627 (comfort blend). I didn't stick with it because I had to test every fragrance oil again and that was too time consuming for me when I already had a tried and true that worked. The fragrances I did test were fantastic as well. I also tested some fragrances that didn't work great in my 100% soy but worked much better in the parasoy blend.

My daughter gave me a great compliment the other day. She's away in another state going to school. She said mom, I need you to send me some candles. She said I bought some from the store but they don't compare to your candles. She said I can still smell your candle scent in my apartment even if I haven't burned for 2 days.  She said with these new candles, I still smell the boiled eggs I made the other day. LOL

If it hasn't been said already, I would buy small increments of different waxes and test that way.