DR OZ ATTACKS FRAGRANCE IN CANDLES/PARAFFIN/ NOTE QUICK REBUTTAL BY NCA

This affects all of us!! Attacking fragrance in candles??!! What if your customers question chunks/tarts after this??!! I did email the NCA and told them they need to demand equal time on his show...once he cannot produce any scientific proof maybe he will stop attacking the candle makers in this country!!

Dr Oz is at it again, this time attacking fragrance AND paraffin on yesterday's show.....I am notifying you all so that you will be ready if your customers ask about this. Please note, the National Candle Association was VERY QUICK to respond to this show... listed below is recap.

After reading what Dr Oz spewed yesterday, go to http://candles.org/  (National Candle Association).....in center of their front page is their response to what was said on his show yesterday.  

Has anyone told him yet that the use of lead wicks are against the law and non-existent in American made candles?? Sheesh!!

Dr Oz: Dangerous Chemicals In Scented Candles + Avoid Toxins

Dr Oz: Are Candles Polluting The Air In Your Home?

Who doesn’t love a good scented candle? In fact, I have three randomly placed throughout my home at this very moment. But according to Dr Oz, new research says those candles could be polluting the air you breathe. Dr Oz conducted an investigation to figure out if scented candles could be putting your health at risk. Scented candles are now a $2 billion industry and they’re sold practically everywhere. Approximately seven out of ten households use them regularly.

Scented candles are made from a variety of different oils that, usually, come from unknown sources. A BBC investigation found that one chemical used in almost all citrus-scented candles, limonene, produces formaldehyde when exposed to air. Formaldehyde has been listed by the National Toxicology Program as a human carcinogen since 2011.

In 2003, lead wicks were banned for use in candles in the U.S., but they could still be sold in stores or sitting somewhere in your house.

Dr Oz: Potentially Dangerous Chemical In Scented Candles

Dr Oz then welcomed Saleyha Ahsan who was part of the BBC investigation. She explained that limonene comes from the rind of citrus fruits like lemon and oranges. It’s used in candles and food products because of the citrus flavor. When it gets released into the air, it degrades into chemical byproducts which then become harmful. Those chemicals can cause breathing irritation and skin irritation. From their research, it was discovered that two molecules of limonene produce one molecule of formaldehyde, which is significant.

Dr Oz: Why Candles In Your Home Could Be Dangerous

Besides the formaldehyde, there are other chemicals that candles can emit, such as paraffin. But as for exactly how much of the chemicals are in the air around us, it’s not exactly known for sure. Saleyha explained that when you light a candle in one part of your home, the chemicals travel throughout your home, making them 2-3 times more toxic. She referred to that as “indoor pollution.”

Dr Oz took a scented candle and an unscented candle and after ten hours found that there was black soot around the glass for the scented candle, while the other one was still clean. That soot doesn’t just stay inside the glass. That soot can travel throughout your home and get on your floor or window treatments. The more scented a candle is, the more soot it will produce. You’re also breathing that soot in.

Dr Oz: Plants To Remove Toxins From Your Home

If you’re not exactly ready to give up your candles, there are a few things you can do to limit your exposure to the potentially dangerous chemicals. First, trim the wick before you light the candle. Trim the wick to 1/8 an inch or two pennies stacked together. That will limit the amount of chemicals getting into the air around you.

There’s also a natural air filter that NASA designed. The best way to remove pollutants from the air is with a plant! Look into buying a Boston Fern, English Ivy, or Lavender. Place one plant per 100 square feet in your home and you could eliminate most of the chemicals in your home!

Dr Oz: Buying Healthy Candles

Saleyha and Dr Oz were then joined by a woman who refers to herself as “the candle lady” because she absolutely loves her candles. She’ll even take a candle with her on vacation! Dr Oz’s wife Lisa absolutely loves candles as well, which is why it was so important to him to learn more about the potential risk.

To protect yourself and your family, you should choose an unscented candle and go for either soy or beeswax. Saleyha loves beeswax the most because it’s naturally occurring and helps clean up the air rather than polluting it. If it doesn’t say 100% beeswax, it could be a mixture of paraffin and beeswax, so always go for 100% beeswax. If you really like the smell of scented candles, try making your own!

Put a pot of water on the stove and add cinnamon, cloves, star anise, or other spices to make your own scent. Simmer the spices before pouring them into a jar. Open the jar and let it sit out to release a comforting scent into your home. One jar can last for about a week, until the scent begins to fade.

To make sure any candles you already have don’t have lead wicks, check and see if you can draw with it. A candle with a wick that has lead in it, will lead a grey mark, while a lead-free wick won’t. If you suspect the wick has lead in it, throw it away.

• Like 2

I don't make candles myself, but I wanted to say thanks and give kudos to puma52 for posting this so other candle makers are aware of these "findings" that seems to be (If I'm understanding correctly) leaving the consumers out there misinformed about what's in their candles. Could an air purifier be used if one had such concerns? My MIL has chemical sensitivity and has a floor purifier and one that hangs around her neck. Seems to be sufficient for her since she knows it's impossible/unrealistic to avoid all chemicals out there.

I think I'd rather take my chances and breathe in air from the scent of a lovely smelling candle then say, my daughter's poopy diaper :D Any mommy whose kid had a blowout knows exactly where I'm coming from! Heehee!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vicky_CO said:

That man never thinks I refuse to watch him.

You know Vicky, I don't watch him either, I called my Mom this morning and she watches him all the time and while she was saying what he said, the steam was rolling out my ears as I was looking his show up online...found the show info and the NCA link was right there too! The NCA must have been on top of this like a setting hen on a June bug! The letter I typed to the NCA is that I feel he is a threat to the whole candle making community and that they need to demand equal time and once Oz is shoved back into the corner and outed for his flat out lying he will cut this crap out. He has went down this road before on paraffin. He needs educated desperately. You WOULD think that he would WANT to make sure that everything he said is backed up with irrefutable scientific testing..but seems he does not care....a REAL Dr would and should care.  I think he is full of s... prunes! :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

I sure hope this doesn't have a negative impact! It really does seem they have little evidence. I'm incredibly sensitive to pollutants, perfumes and nearly all cleaners and smoke too, but candle fragrance oils (and our burning soy candles) don't bother me at all . I have to think that means something. 

This type of negativity for candles has been around forever. It's nothing new. For me it falls within the same category as paraffin vs soy. Not worth it's salt without proper research, which this obviously isn't. As for it impacting us, yes, it could potentially, but if you do your research and have your facts, when you get asked those questions, you can confidently answer them and make a sale. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

This type of negativity for candles has been around forever. It's nothing new. For me it falls within the same category as paraffin vs soy. Not worth it's salt without proper research, which this obviously isn't. As for it impacting us, yes, it could potentially, but if you do your research and have your facts, when you get asked those questions, you can confidently answer them and make a sale. 

1000% Agree!!! :) There is someone that is always trying to rain on our candle making parade. That is why we always have to be vigilant to when someone like Oz lies about something that he knows nothing about so that we can/will ALWAYS be ready to give our customers a better common sense answer if they ask questions about what they have heard.

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

Years back this one was rampant: http://lead.org.au/lanv7n4/L74-4.html

Then there was the soy industry bashing paraffin.
And true lead wicks were voluntarily banned in the US in 1978. In 2003 they banned Tin wicks (which I still love and have a stash of for my personal use) because of small, yet detectable levels of lead.

Any soft metal will marl paper. Doctor OZ is an idiot. This isn't the first controversial thing I've heard from his show. The dude is a whackadoodle!

• Like 4

I fell for his snake oil about using raspberry ketones with green tea for weight loss. My body developed this bizarre rash almost over night. The doctor said I had scabies and prescribed a cream but I knew it was those damn ketones and stopped taking them. The rash went away. Oz, later denied he had anything to do with it and just because his name and picture was all over something didn't mean it was really him. Thank you Oprah for unleashing this quack on the universe. He's a total moron who just needs to fill up shows with random bs information that helps his pocketbook. Nobody pays attention to this garbage, this too shall pass.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Puma.  I used to watch his show when it first came out and pretty quickly realized that each week if not day is a contradiction to

what he said the day before.  I will say that I followed a topic on his website and when his team proved what he stated as wrong, he did do a show

about it.  Hopefully the NCA will at least have some impact on him retracting what he said.  Regardless, some damage is already done.

• Like 1

I did get this response today from the NCA. I would love to see his hide pinned to the wall! It just may happen via NCA! :)

Good Morning ,

I am writing you representing the National Candle Association. We thank you very much for your concern. We are currently reaching out to the show’s producers, and you can read our public response to the Dr. Oz show here on our website: http://candles.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/NCA-Press-Release-Dr.-Oz-and-BBC-2.26.16.pdf.

Thank you for being a supporter of the National Candle Association and candle making.

Best Regards,

Laura

Laura Meditz | Account Supervisor & NCA Representative
National Press Building, 529 14th St, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20045 USA
direct +1.
202.207.1135 mobile +1.570.470.1341
lmeditz@kellencompany.com
www.kellencompany.com

• Like 2

I like a lot of things that Dr. Oz says as far as natural medicine but I don't agree with everything. I don't watch him much anymore though.

I'm sure one reason why his colleagues bash him is because he does do a lot of natural things which most conventional doctors believe to be quackery. I've been through being bashed for choosing a natural route for cancer treatment and had several doctors look at me like I had two heads! LOL!  

I do believe he's way off here though, and on other things as well, and needs to do his research. 

• Like 3

Just another baseless attack on paraffin, which is probably the most eco-friendly option when you truly think about it (it is just recycling waste from agricultural operations to produce vegetable waxes in the first place).

Beeswax is better? Oh, please! Beeswax varies from source to source and has been shown by studies to contain harmful pesticides in it because of the nature of how its obtained. Beehives used for producing beeswax are fumigated with harmful chemicals to kill bee mites, which is absorbed in the wax. The wax itself is not purified once its's harvested because of the cost of doing so, and all the pesticides stay in the wax and then are released into your when you burn them. Scientific studies that have analyzed the chemical products the come from burning beeswax prove this.

I don't watch doctor Oz but he seems like a quack. A doctor turned TV personality...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Both Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil are misleading.  Neither of these men have done anything (IMO) to really help anyone.  No one should believe everything they see/hear on TV/media.  We obviously all have a computer of some sort because we're reading this, so after hearing potential "facts", do your research!!  Okay, venting done :)

• Like 1