Labels and packaging

Siren12

do most of you buy labels that are printed for you by a larger company or print them your selves? i have a really nice canon pixma 9000 Pro mark II printer so i can print them my self and I do think that would be the cheaper route for me since I will be doing smaller batches and cant afford to spend lots of money on stickers and then have them sit around. But at the same time the idea of sending in an image and getting them printed sounds nice. I found Frontier Labels and they seem to do really nice work, i have some free samples coming. 

Questions: 

1) if you print them your selves where do you buy nice quality printable labels (i like thicker paper/ kraft paper labels) 

2) if you pay a company to print them for you who do you use? which labels do you get printed? i.e. jar labels or stickers to put on boxes etc..

Suggestions welcome, i would love to find out what you do for your products. 

I have always printed them myself and I buy my labels from Online Labels.  But I do not print a large amount of labels of one scent.  I think if I was a huge company it would make sense to have them printed for me.  Not yet!

For my soaps I use http://www.brownkraftlabels.com/ servie to print them because with my ingredients and everything else that I put on my soap labels it's just easier for them to do it, but for my candles, I make them myself with the same Kraft labels, just blanks so I can print them. Hope that makes sense... 

It depends. For small label batches we print in-house. For large label needs we use Dac Label out of Dallas. In between we compute our needs over a year's time and see which option is cheaper. We prefer to go with professionally printed labels. We order them with a "mat lam" finish. Mat lam finish is a mat (non-glossy) laminate overlay. That way there is no damage to the label from moisture. The labels we print smudge too easily.

I design and print my own. I buy white glossy labels from Labels by the Sheet and use Avery DesignPro to design my labels. I make my own labels for everything I sell; candles, soap, lip balm, lotions, etc.

Had some candle labels professionally made for me once and ended up never using them. I like my own designs so much better plus I can tweak and make changes to my labels whenever I want without having to have more labels made for me. That is very convenient.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, I think i will print my own labels so that i can make changes when i need to. 

I might order some nice stickers with my design on it for packaging. 

Do you order a large roll of the candle warning labels? or print those yourself? 

• 1 month later...

wanted to give you guys an update

So i ordered some labels from Avery and had them print them for me through their online order system. i just dont have the time to sit there and fiddle with the settings etc and didnt order a ton because i wanted to just try it out. 

here is what they looks like with some hobnail jar candles behind it. 

I think that they  came out pretty good for my first design. 
I also got the mermaid on two different sized square clear plastic labels, they look nice on the glass i just dont have a photo of them.

Screenshot_2016-04-04-09-38-33.png

• Like 1