Need help w/ label making process

10jjcherry

I would like to design and print my own candle labels from home. I understand the importance of a quality label for selling purposes. Questions are...

Where can I get label templates for semi-complex labels? Are people just using Microsoft word label templates? Is this "Maestro" I read about the way to go? Or is it worth it to use a company like Zazzle, which seems expensive? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm obviously new to this.

Guest OldGlory

Hi! Welcome to Craft Server.  :)

Labels are pretty important, so 'expensive' is relative. I know people who use Zazzle exclusively and buy when there's a 50% off sale whenever possible. I have 3 different graphics programs on my desktop computer (usually use Print Shop) and have been making my own labels for years - and making labels for my wholesale clients who want a private label. I'm sure there are quick and easy DIY options thru a variety of label manufacturers too. So it really depends on how much work you are willing to do and what your aptitude is for something like this. I can tell you that there is a steep learning curve for buying your own program and doing it all from home. You will probably go thru a couple of print cartridges and several dozen pages of label paper before you get something you want to use.

I am not sure what you mean by 'semi-complex' labels, so I can't say who might offer the template you are looking for. If my product was ready to go I think I'd bite the bullet and get something really nice from Zazzle.

Hi! Welcome to Craft Server.  :)

Labels are pretty important, so 'expensive' is relative. I know people who use Zazzle exclusively and buy when there's a 50% off sale whenever possible. I have 3 different graphics programs on my desktop computer (usually use Print Shop) and have been making my own labels for years - and making labels for my wholesale clients who want a private label. I'm sure there are quick and easy DIY options thru a variety of label manufacturers too. So it really depends on how much work you are willing to do and what your aptitude is for something like this. I can tell you that there is a steep learning curve for buying your own program and doing it all from home. You will probably go thru a couple of print cartridges and several dozen pages of label paper before you get something you want to use.

I am not sure what you mean by 'semi-complex' labels, so I can't say who might offer the template you are looking for. If my product was ready to go I think I'd bite the bullet and get something really nice from Zazzle.

Thanks for the input OldGlory. I am willing to learn how to use Print Shop. I would prefer to design and print labels myself because eventually I will have many different labels due to multiple sizes and a large variety of scents. Also, I'd like to be as self sufficient as possible. Is there a specific version that you use and like? Do you know if I can download that software for free? And I need to design my company logo. Is that something I can do using Print Shop? I really appreciate your help. 

I use Avery's DesignPro. Its a label design program you can download from Avery for free. Makes wonderful labels. I've been using it for years and my labels look professionally made. I know because I ordered labels before and like mine much better.

Thank you Candlebee. I'll look into it. I recently began this research regarding labels

Thanks for the input OldGlory. I am willing to learn how to use Print Shop. I would prefer to design and print labels myself because eventually I will have many different labels due to multiple sizes and a large variety of scents. Also, I'd like to be as self sufficient as possible. Is there a specific version that you use and like? Do you know if I can download that software for free? And I need to design my company logo. Is that something I can do using Print Shop? I really appreciate your help. 

As for the term "semi-complex", I want my candles to look as professional as the candles at retail stores and not something that looks like they came out of my garage.

. So far I've only played with onlinelabels' Maestro so far.

Thank you Candlebee. I'll look into it. I recently began this research regarding labels

As for the term "semi-complex", I want my candles to look as professional as the candles at retail stores and not something that looks like they came out of my garage.

. So far I've only played with onlinelabels' Maestro so far.

"So far I've only played with onlinelabels' Maestro so far" was meant to be in a different post. Sorry.

Guest OldGlory

My Print Shop program is 15 years old - I don't know what's currently available. Go to a big store that offers several types of graphics programs and find someone who is very knowledgeable about them. You could contact some colleges in your area and see what programs they use in their curriculum. If you have time and resources, you could take a graphics class at a school in your area. That would significantly shorten the learning curve AND give you insights in creating better labels. I don't know if it's downloadable.  :confused2: 

I personally like the older versions of Print Shop better, but that's what I started with.  I tried to upgrade and all my labels wouldn't convert properly so I went back to the old.

I use Print Shop for all my color labels and I have several graphic programs I pull pictures from.  I like being able to manipulate the intensity (tint) of the picture on my label so you

can read the words (several programs do this).  I also use the free Avery for my round caution labels and I use Word for my pricing labels.  You can do it all in Avery but you'll need

some better graphics than they provide like a good clip art that has photos if you want actual pictures in the background of your labels.

The hardest part is deciding what you want your brand to look like. Some very simple apothecary styles sell for really healthy prices in their target markets.

- Not every label needs to be full color with fancy artwork. PF Candle Co (http://www.pfcandleco.com ) just uses simple black type on kraft address labels and sells for a premium price in major stores. This is a simple amber jar for $32 that sells all day long (http://www.pfcandleco.com/shop/no04-teakwood-and-tobacco-14oz). The simple label fits their brand.

Pinehurst Pottery ( http://www.pinehurstpottery.com/product-p/99-021470tt.htm ) has collaborated with a chandler who uses a cut out paper circle with black type as their label. Simple. Elegant. Premium priced.

http://www.house33candleco.com uses black on white address labels on their mason jars. A single jelly jar retails for $13-24+. Some just use a hang tag.

Alamo Candelaria (http://alamocandelaria.bigcartel.com/category/candles) relies on unique products in unusual packaging (like wax stamp) versus labels (which are pretty non-existent) to sell their high volume at premium prices.

Early on i chose full color for my brand. It fit my chosen market and screamed "me". I just use the Microsoft office suite (the really really really old version of office XP if you can believe that!) I can manipulate images, color gradients and such in PowerPoint, then pull everything into word or access. Access is where i wrote my soapmaker/craft business database, so it's where the labels are kept.

For label templates like from LabelsByTheSheet.com MS Word works perfectly. The pre-built templates space the artwork perfectly for the label design. 99% of the labels i use are full sheet, but my order seals are pre-cut - so much more convenient...

Any desktop publishing software will work, it is just a matter of (a) sketching out what you want and (B) converting that concept into the printing program.

Edited by TallTayl

The hardest part is deciding what you want your brand to look like. Some very simple apothecary styles sell for really healthy prices in their target markets.

Not every label needs to be full color with fancy artwork. 

THIS!!! Somehow we think if we add just 2 more colors, 1 more font or one more piece of clipart, it makes it better.

Know your brand, mission, consumer target, what you want it to represent and make your labels (and all branded material) reflective of that. Make this your north star. Do not be tempted/strayed by the "shiny" <-unless that is consistent with your brand-haha!

Be certain that you are also using fonts, images and copy that you own or can gain rights. Just because it is seen and can be copied and pasted does not mean it is legal for use.

My branding is very simple. One label material, black ink, 2 fonts and a logo designed for me. I do not deviate. I remain true to my style and business goals. That is what creates and builds a brand.

I just did a podcast last week where the podcast owner was curious about my branding and approach. Without ever trying my product, she got EXACTLY what I intend my brand to reflect. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I go to Etsy and have one of the graphic desingers design a label for me. I look for one that makes mulitiple labels for a set price, like a clamshell label and a melt label. I tell them the size, my logo, any colors or themes I want. They send me 2 or 3 different designs and I pick which one I like the best.

• Like 2