Heating Jars

I am so tired of heating my status jars and I still have spots.  I really really really want to not have to do this.  Does anyone pour the soy wax into unheated jars.  Please tell me you do and that they look beautiful.  I am going to be making over 100 jars tomorrow and it is so time consuming to heat and then stick wick in heated jar.  Help.

Are you sure your glassware is clean? Occasionally I get jars that need cleaning. You never know what jars may encounter sitting in a warehouse. I have had whole cases of dusty and even greasy jars before. I use a wet wipe or spritz paper towels with rubbing alcohol before wicking if I think the jar looks unclean.

Guest OldGlory

I don't recall if my soy jars had wet spots because I was overwhelmed by the frosting! Grrrrr. And to get away from the frosting my client decided to use soy in tins and 6006 in jars. 6006 gets wet spots but my client doesn't mind that. I know that Trappeur makes beautiful candles with soy (no dye) and I don't think I've seen wet spots in the pictures of her candles. Maybe she'll see this thread and respond about heating jars.

Edited by OldGlory

Once in a great while I will get wet spots especially if the temperature is cold.  But generally I don't get them.  But just today, I made up a few jars and yep, I sure did get em and yep the temperature here is rather cold....but like everyone said, it's just a natural characteristic of soy and you just learn to accept it.  Put a label over the worst spot or go to a frosted jar.  But I have even seen wet spots in paraffin.  If you go in a store and look at all sorts of candles, even the expensive ones you will see the wet spots.  I don't heat my jars....never did....and don't ever intend to.  I don't go and put boxes over the jars either.  I have never had a customer not once complain about the wet spots.  All they are concerned about is a nice throwing candle.  And chances are that should you make them and not have any wet spots, they can suddenly appear the next day or even a week later and who knows on the other end once they leave your hands the wet spots could show up later and you not even know about it.  Well that is my scope on it....

Trappeur

• 3 months later...

Heating jars is a nice way to help the prevention of wet spots but 2 things have helped me.

1, better Soy has helped. Completely moved away from 464, had frosting and wet spots. Moved to the excel Soy, like night and day difference.

2, So many of us forget that the counters we leave the candles on are cold and that added to what we saw in the cooling down process. depending on what temp you pour at, for us with our soy it is 135 degrees, you can force the liquid to cool too quick and that makes for the pulling away. so now we use risers like those you use for cookies to allow single temp cooling all around the jar. Little to none on the wet spots.

Hope that helps.

Well, this is an age old issue. I used to make candles with nary a wet spot. I keep my jars in a toaster oven on the work bench at about 150 degrees (hot potato) and pull them out and wick them and pour while they are on a tared scale. Place the jars into a covered box where they cool slowly/over night. Florals and some bakeries would give me terrible wet spots while other fragrance oils were well behaved. I still use this method (I wash all my jars in Dawn detergent) and spend the time thinking about what to do with fragrances and other wool gathering. I hate wet spots. They look bad in plain or frosted glass and I hate them. Oh well, nothing is perfect.