Prestos with teflon lining. How long have they lasted without flaking?

My Presto is stainless. Reading all of the stories of "picking the flecks of teflon" out of wax was not appealing, so I got the stainless pot.

The stainless version is no longer available. I am looking at the larger Options version which is teflon lined. I only use silicone utensils even in my stainless pot (and because I am type A/OCD cursed, I clean out the pot carefully, inside and out).

How long can I expect a teflon lined pot to stay intact and not flake teflon given my careful treatment?

Appreciate hearing your experience. Thanks!

Mine didn't last but about a year until it started flaking and I only use soft utensils as well. I tried using a fine mesh screen over the spout opening but specks still wound up in my products. I now use it to heat up palm oil and melt my wax in a turkey fryer. You might not have any issues for a long time or it could start flaking in the near future, who knows?

Steve

Thanks, Steve!

I was so discouraged looking at ratings on some turkey fryers that I was thinking of just getting more Prestos. Flaking teflon is a problem for me in a number of ways. The fact that my wax is naked (non-colored) and flecks of anything would be super visible is just one of them.

Thank you!

You're right on about that Karen. I can tell you that my turkey fryer has been a faithful companion for about 4 years and there is a back up just in case this one goes bad. They are very easy to clean and they melt the wax pretty darn fast and keep the temp constant. I can't imagine going back to presto pots. I found my back up fryer for 50% off at a Pro Bass Shop and every now and then they pop up in local stores during the fall months. I just put my pour pot under the spout and fill to whatever line and keep it on a two burner warmer while adding and stirring and it works great. The flecks do go to the bottom but I hate seeing them when I put the warning label there. HTH

Steve

I ruined mine from the get go lol, but it hasn't flaked on me, except for where I tried to pry out some wax that I couldn't remember what kind it was. Obviously I wasn't thinking that day. BUT, I still use it and it hasn't flaked any more on me in 2+ years.

Guest OldGlory

No spigots on the two teflon lined presto pots of mine and I've had them for 12 years with regular use - and no flaking. The only thing I put in them aside from wax is a wooden skewer to stir.

• 2 weeks later...

I never put a spigot on mine just like OldGlory and my Presto is still melting wax with no flakes and I've had it for just over ten years. On top of that, I only put wax and additives then pour the wax into a pour pot to add dye and FO unless I'm making marbles and then it goes into a bowl.

I'll stay with my Presto for as long as it holds out or until my fiancee finds a small turkey fryer.

Going on 6 years and mine has not flaked either- I do not have a spigot and I use wooden spoons or rubber spatulas to stir the wax and additives and then it goes directly in pour pot with fragrances

I don't use mine everyday either but it's held up wonderful for $40

I just got my Presto pot. I went out today and got the things I needed to add the spout to it. I was quite nervous to add it to begin with as I paid 60.00 Canadian for it. We have to get them from the U.S because we can no longer get them in Canada. Maybe I should just keep it as is and hopefully I will not get the flaking... I love this sight it has helped with a lot of questions. Thanks everyone!!!!

I have 3 with spigots and they have never flaked. I only use a stir stick and usually just use them to melt wax and do my mixing with scent in pour pots unless I have a fundraiser I am working on then I put the scent & dye in presto. Never had flaking and don't know how many years I have had mine. Probably 10 at least. I also a a Masterbuilt turkey fryer that is only for melting wax.

Edited by grama

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm new here. Been making candles for about 2 years. I said I never would but one thing led to another....

I've had my presto pots for 2 years and no flaking. They do flake quickly with soap but no problems with wax! I use a silicone Wilton spatula. Sometimes a metal spoon but rarely. The silicone spatula is wonderful!

I use a presto grille for my taper fluter and also to heat up my tumblers for jar candles.