Any good FO's from Fillmore Containers

tam1116

Thanks I will check that one out while I am there.

I too plan on checkong out their fragrances during my next trip to visit my family. Fillmore is located in the heart of Amish Country USA, about 45 minutes from my relatives. I plan to load up on jars and lids while I'm there.

As far as their fragrances and candle making supplies, I think they are not quite up to snuff.

Virtually all of their 100 or so fragrances are priced at $18.00 per pound. I'm skeptical of suppliers selling FO's at the same price. $18.00 is a bit steep for some FO's too.

Their wax selection is very bad and quite honestly their online product "catalog" appears to have been designed by an Amishman. Why should it take 50 pages to "display" only 100 fragrances?

I like the price on their jars and lids, but even they can take a bit of time finding them from what I feel is a pretty confusing online catalog.

I believe the folks there are quite nice and probably trying to do their best, but they have quite some distance to travel if they are going to be taken seriously by most experienced professional chandlers.

BTW: I know this may not seem like a "politically correct" attitude about Amish folks, but if an Amishman is offended it would be a conundrum since a TRUE Amish person has no "use for juice". I'm not away of any PC's that are run on propane or methane! Should any Amish peson be offended, however, I would like to send along my most sincere apology!

JMO

Dave

What's wrong with their wax selection???

They sell veggie waxes.

That's my point!

Fine for most soy users, but nothing for more "traditional" chandlers. (At least the last time I looked.)

On my last online purchase from them I requested that they add paraffin waxes (IGI-4630) (IGI-6006) to their stock. They asked me if there was any wax(s) I was looking for, because they were planning on adding candle supplies.

Fillmore's is the closest "supplier" to me. I wish they stocked my wax. I'd buy it from them.

I've been there, before they ventured into candle supplies.

They are very nice folks.

I got a good deal on a van load of jelly jars and lids despite PA sales tax, if I recall right. It was some years ago. I don't have a PA tax license. My business is in Maryland.

Once again; JMO

Dave

That's my point!

Fine for most soy users, but nothing for more "traditional" chandlers. (At least the last time I looked.)

On my last online purchase from them I requested that they add paraffin waxes (IGI-4630) (IGI-6006) to their stock. They asked me if there was any wax(s) I was looking for, because they were planning on adding candle supplies.

Fillmore's is the closest "supplier" to me. I wish they stocked my wax. I'd buy it from them.

I've been there, before they ventured into candle supplies.

They are very nice folks.

I got a good deal on a van load of jelly jars and lids despite PA sales tax, if I recall right. It was some years ago. I don't have a PA tax license. My business is in Maryland.

Once again; JMO

Dave

Hi-Jack: Maryland?! My parents lived in Annapolis for a couple of years, and I was there for several months at age 22, and I worked near the waterfront at McGarvey's. :grin2: I entered a Pente contest at a local bar there named the "something" Buzzard, I think, and I won! So they sent me all-expenses paid to a Marriot hotel in Virginia Beach for the big competition and I took my grandma with me. I didn't win, but it was a fun adventure. I remember the spiders were GINORMOUS and they would completely web us into our house so we couldn't go out the doors until one of use mustered the courage to open a door and throw a broom through the center of the web, screaming the entire time. I sure do miss those crab cakes! You're so lucky you live near the Smithsonian! I could spend a year going through it. Okay, end of hi-jack. :laugh2:

I remember the spiders were GINORMOUS and they would completely web us into our house so we couldn't go out the doors until one of use mustered the courage to open a door and throw a broom through the center of the web, screaming the entire time.

OMG!!

*faint**hiding*

What's a Pente? Annapolis is so beautiful! Did they have the huge hanging flower pots all over the place when you were there? I'm from Md. too!

Hi-Jack: Maryland?! My parents lived in Annapolis for a couple of years, and I was there for several months at age 22, and I worked near the waterfront at McGarvey's. :grin2: I entered a Pente contest at a local bar there named the "something" Buzzard, I think, and I won! So they sent me all-expenses paid to a Marriot hotel in Virginia Beach for the big competition and I took my grandma with me. I didn't win, but it was a fun adventure. I remember the spiders were GINORMOUS and they would completely web us into our house so we couldn't go out the doors until one of use mustered the courage to open a door and throw a broom through the center of the web, screaming the entire time. I sure do miss those crab cakes! You're so lucky you live near the Smithsonian! I could spend a year going through it. Okay, end of hi-jack. :laugh2:

What's a Pente? Annapolis is so beautiful! Did they have the huge hanging flower pots all over the place when you were there? I'm from Md. too!

This was in 1982, I think, and I think I remember hanging flower pots, but I'm not sure. It's a beautiful little town!

The Pente Game is a board game: http://allaboutfunandgames.com/how-to-play-the-two-player-game-of-pente I haven't heard of anyone playing it in years, but at that time it was so popular they even had tournaments. lol

As far as their oils not being up to snuff, I don't agree with that. I was just there yesterday again (they are 1/2 hour away from me so very convenient). When I was there I purchased 10 1 ouncers, I poured 3 of them last night, Daffodil, Buttery Almond Cookie and Cedar Garland. I must say they are right up there with some of the "big" boys. I had gotten Nutmeg and Ginger from them last week and made some testers which one I gave to my MIL to test for me, she had it burning this morning when I dropped off my boys before heading to work and the minute I walked in the fragrance literally smacked me in the face. I couldn't believe how strong it was, she said she only lit it 15 minutes prior to me getting there. I was talking to the receptionist at Fillmore yesterday and she had me smell about 15 new scents that aren't available yet, they test everything before they offer them, to make sure they will throw well. However, they test in soy. I use paraffin which very well could explain the why they are so strong. I am very happy with their oils thus far......but that's me :)

Edit to say when I mean "big" boys I am referring to other FO suppliers :)

Edited by HayCreekCandles

I've been using their FOs ever since they started carrying them about 5 yrs ago. They do have some awesome keepers and quite a few turned out to be best sellers for me both in soap and candles. I have used their FOs in palm, soy, and parrafin. Since their primary wax is C3 thats what they test in but they do test all their FOs before they sell them.

The website has been changed recently and I agree the way they now have their FOs set up is a nightmare. It wasn't always like that. Apparently they decided to add new sizes and set it up in a very unfriendly user way. Too bad. But that has nothing to do with the quality of their oils.

Some of the really good oils that I have worked with in soap and candles:

Tuberose & Jasmine (awesome in soap and candles; also a best seller floral)

Nutmeg & Ginger (dreamy fall spice scent)

Cedar Garland (Cedar and Sandalwood scent; best seller- sells year round, wood lovers adore it! can't keep it in stock)

Iced Lemon Biscotti (insanely yummy lemon cookie scent)

Christmas Tree (best Christmas Tree scent I have found since Tradewinds quite carrying it; exactly like Tradewinds used to carry)

Daffodil (very true to the flower; sells like crazy in spring)

Cedarwood (very true to scent; only used this as a mixer as its light in soy but does pop when blended with other scents)

Butterscotch Brulee (another yummy scent super strong in soy)

Cocoa Therapy ( my absolute fav choc scent; smells just like Hershey's cocoa powder mix)

Japanese Cherry Blossom (very nice spring floral; more floral than cherry)

Irish Moss (only tried this in M&P; very nice oakmoss type, clean, green, but very light)

Black Raspberry Vanilla (pretty darn good version but I still prefer CS's version more)

Pumpkin Spice Chutney (another fall keeper, very yummy! and a good pumpkin pie sub if you want something different)

Angel (another pretty darn good version but I prefer CS' version)

Lavender, Sage & Rosemary (wonderful herbal blend of lavender, this was always a good seller for me in both soap and candles when I wanted to change up my lavender)

Patchouli (very strong; good patchouli; I especially loved letting this sit in the bottle for months aging and getting stronger- this is the version that made me fall in love with straight patch)

Clove (excellent scent if you want a strong spice; good as a mixer with apple, cinnamon, etc.)

Bayberry Cinnamon (another fall/holiday scent, I do like to add apple to it, it just smells like Christmas to me)

Honeysuckle (extremely true to honeysuckle scent, great seller in soap and candles)

Fresh Cut Grass (used this for a long time, I loved it, more earthy and grassy than Peaks, more like fresh cut grass and dirt scent, lovely)

Ones I had bad experience with:

Apple Jack & Peel (so-so; I'd shop around for a better one; CS has a better one)

Lilac (smells ok OOB but scent morphed on me in palm wax)

gardenia (too cloyingly sweet for me; reminded me of toilet bowl cleaner)

Maple Sugar (smelled off to me; more like a cologne than a syrup. Ick!)

Fresh Linen (smells lovely but scent morphed on me in palm wax)

Cool Waters (only tried this in CP so far, smells nice but doesn't last in CP)

• Like 1

Iced Lemon Biscotti was one I got .....to me it smells exactly like a Lemonade Girl Scout Cookie. SO SO Good

Edited to say that when I was there yesterday I was told they are phasing out the Tuberrose and Jasmine...so it will soon not be available through them. They have it on sale right now <edited. Specifics of sales not allowed in this section -- Scented>.

Edited by Scented

I keep forgetting that I've been "away" from the craft for quite some time due to my recent illnesses. A lot can change in nearly two years.

As I stated it was some years ago that I bought jars "in person" from Fillmore's. They had not ventured into candle supplies at that time, but they mentioned that they were considering it.

The place was a bit hard to locate even though I have spent a bunch of time in the area. I have GPS now, though. I wonder if all of those crazy Amish back roads are registered with the teeny tiny lady who resides in my little magic dashboard device. Ever been on Ronks Road? It's my favorite! I've even driven on it in a snowstorm. HONEST!

We lived in Cecil County, Maryland for many years. It's a short drive to the area east of Lancaster. As I stated, the sales associates at Fillmore's were very nice. Lancaster County country folks are just plain friendly. I think that smelling horse poop everyday might have a calming effect on the nervous system. Has anyone tried wicking some up?

I suppose I used the wrong word when I wrote "snuff". It would have been better for me to write "speed" and to clarify the sentence with more importance placed on "supplies" rather than fragrances.

I was hoping it was clear that I had no experience with any of their candle products, which includes fragrances, other than jars and lids.

I might be taking a trip to Cecil County at the end of this month and I was planning on making a shopping list for Fillmore when I ran face first into their online catalog. I still have a dial-up ISP and was a bit more than dismayed when it took me over an hour to see what candle fragrances they were selling. I can do a search of several of my more-used suppliers in under 15 minutes and they carry between 500 and 1000 fragrances.

I was still recovering from the journey when I read the post on this thread.

I'm glad that I am wrong to worry that a candle supplier with so little history in the trade could do such a fine job as it appears they are doing, as you all mostly write here. At a time when some of us are worrying if our favorite suppliers are going to keep their doors open, I'm just not sure I really want to "go through the process" with a relatively "newbie" supplier. I hate all of the testing and retesting. The small suppliers worry me. What happens if you lose the ability to acquire your new most favorite fragrances. I've read more than a few posts on candle boards where chandlers are frantically trying to replace fragrances they can no longer get. This was my main concern, but I fully admit, I did not state it well at all.

It looks like I might be bringing home a few bottles of FO if I feel they are worth $18 a pound as a replacement for what I now stock.

I won't be able to bring home too many, though. Even though we have stow & go seating in our Grand Caravan, it will be filled to capacity with two suitcases, a wheelchair, a walker and a whole lot of jelly jars and lids!

I should never have posted about something I don't have a clue about. Seriously; Shame on me.

Please pass along my apologies to all of the Amishmen you see on your travels through that area that I still have nice dreams about. Please don't honk your horn and spook their horses, though. You might get some of that special fragrance shot on your windshield as you "pass".

*dead horse*

I thought the propane/methane powered PC was a nice touch, though! Sometimes it's hard to distinquish comedy from sarcasm. I guess it's why they have the little faces for us to use. :laugh2:

I hope that someone on the board doesn't suggest I trade in my current PC on one of them gas powered versions. I may be big, but I'm "sensitive". *hiding*

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles (Located at an Historical Registered AMISH Farmer's Market)

I'm the KING of Hi-Jacks!!

Yep! I live about an hour from Anapolis. Very COOL town. I especially like the small brass plaque in the sidewalk which commemorates the place where Kunta Kinte was auctioned off. Annapolis has some dark history, but most of it is now far from dim. I love the market near the dock. I wish I was still able to walk. I'd spend a day strolling the streets and shops there. A whole bunch of years ago, my wife and I were "seperated" for a brief time. We got together and took a trip to Annapolis and after lunching there and talking things over, reunited and have been loyally connected ever since. It looks like Annapolis and Virginia have something in common. They're both for "Lovers".

What can I add about Mr. James Smithson's remarkable contribution to a country he had never even visited before he was "interred" there. It's simply spectacular and overwhelming.

Dave

I love the fact that Fillmore's is deep in the sticks of Amish country. Have to admit its easy to get lost but I've been there so many times I don't need a map anymore. Its a beeeeutiful drive and well worth the trip out. If its been more than a couple of years since you've been there they did change their location slightly. They are in the same industrial complex but in a larger warehouse near the train trax.

They do have a nice front room you can spend time sniffing all the FO samples. I go nuts whenever I go in and smell everything even thou I know a lot of their oils.

<edited>.They are also stubborn about packaging in amber glass only and refuse to go with plastice at all. Got to hand it to them they take pride in their FOs. But they are tops in glassware.

Edited by Scented

I love the fact that Fillmore's is deep in the sticks of Amish country. Have to admit its easy to get lost but I've been there so many times I don't need a map anymore. Its a beeeeutiful drive and well worth the trip out. If its been more than a couple of years since you've been there they did change their location slightly. They are in the same industrial complex but in a larger warehouse near the train trax.

They do have a nice front room you can spend time sniffing all the FO samples. I go nuts whenever I go in and smell everything even thou I know a lot of their oils.

After you buy 5 the oils go down to $17 pp. Thats not a bad price for FOs. They are also stubborn about packaging in amber glass only and refuse to go with plastice at all. Got to hand it to them they take pride in their FOs. But they are tops in glassware.

Sounds like a great day at Fillmore's for me if I get to make the trip.

I was in the area around Halloween of last year, but I didn't make it to Fillmore's. I hadn't planned the trip and we had a van pretty full of stuff from my MIL's estate. She passed away suddenly in September.

We stopped at Miller's Smorgasboard on Route 30 for dinner, thinking we would be having another nice dinner in our favorite Lancaster County restaurant. We did not recognize the interior of the building or the much reduced in variety and quality food, but increased in price remodeled building and altered menu. NEVER again! If I hadn't been in a wheelchair, I would have left after seeing the selections on the buffet. It was a hassel getting in and out too. The "hostess" was also a PITA. I guess she commutes to work. She needs to sniff some extra horse poop! I think I actually told her so, only I used a different name and I suggested she eat it rather than sniff it. I HATE rudeness.

If I get to make the trip; I'll post my experience.

Dave

Well if you do come up this way again....make sure you swing by Shady Maple Smorgasboard instead of Millers this time - it's on Route 23 heading towards Morgantown. Well Worth it.

Sounds great!

I'm always hungry! I love buffets!

My two favorites are "Golden Corral" (Anywhere!) BEST VALUE; The best breakfast buffet on weekends too. I LOVE their whole wheat waffles.

Last but far from least; "Captain Georges" (Lightfoot/Williamsburg VA.) WOW what a selection of GOOD stuff and AYCE snow crab legs! I don't eat for two days in advance "TO PREPARE" and two days later due "TO DISPAIR" !!! "PIGSVILLE"

Maybe I will be adding "Shady Maple" to my short list. I'll let you know if I do. Thanks!

"Dave the Hungryman"

Haycreek, I will try the nutmeg and ginger, sounds wonderful. I also might check out Shady Maple while I am there. I love that area, you must enjoy living there.

Candybee, thanks for sharing all your experience with Fillmore FOs. I will be sniffing a lot of them and hopefully I can decide on a FEW, I don't really need many more FOs. I do really enjoy going to the amish country and I am planning to stay one night and do some shopping.

Tammy

What about the huge candy shop outside of Ephrata, I think it was called Weavers Candy and Nuts? It's on 322. Every year the kids and I would make huge Gingerbread Houses to give to their teachers as a Christmas gift and that place was amazing to pick up every kind of candy imaginable.

There is so much I miss about Lancaster County. We had a door to door veg and fruit sales. A Mennonite man would drive his tractor with a huge wagon through town and about 6 women would ride on the back. He would stop on every block and they would jump off and start knocking on doors to sell what they had that day. We would always be ready with a jar of cash near the front door and I always bought something from strawberries to corn to melons and beans. I do miss the fresh produce!!

The Pancake Farm in Ephrata was our favorite place to eat!!

Yes! Definitely take the time to sniff them ALL! I could have left with almost every single one! But do make sure you get the nutmeg and ginger!! :)

Edited to say : Chefmom I know where the Pancake Farm is!! I used to work at the Ephrata Hospital right down the road from there on 272! Very good food. I live in Berks, but I am close enough to Lancaster County, I am about 5 minutes from what they call the " Tri-County area" where Berks, Lancaster and Chester counties meet. Shady Maple is so well known around here, if you can't find it all you need to do is ask the first person you see :)

Edited by HayCreekCandles

• 2 years later...

I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only FO I've gotten from them that I didn't like was pumpkin spice chutney. I have nutmeg ginger and warm caramel vanilla and they're really good. I may have one or two more but I'm not sure. I know you'll like them though!