Wick Pins? Youll laugh at me, but...

which way do you put these into the mold? :confused:

I assumed you put the pin in the mold, base first, so it was centered, right?

umm but the 3" pins base does not fit in the 3" mold LOL

If I put the mold on the pin, then the mold wobbles...

You'd think I could figure this out :o

The pins go on the outside of the mold. I have the problem with wobbling a little, too. I know my supplier has trays you can use to hold everything nice and even but I haven't bought them yet. :-)

My solution: the bean leveling method. Buy a bag or two of dried beans, Open them up, pour into a pan and wiggle the mold until it is flat. You can reuse the beans over and over.

e

Actually, I do both. Of course, my pins do fit inside my round ones. ;) If I'm using my 9", I can't get the candle out unless the pin is inside so I have something to pull on...lol. Either way, you'll still have to putty the hole. When I thread it through, I do like the others. I use a good size "ring" of putty and it hold the mold pretty good if you don't knock it around. I just give it a little straightening when I'm done pouring and let it sit.

The wick pins can go either inside or outside. I have seamless alum. molds that allow an inside fit, but my two piece molds are a tad bit smaller and they won't fit.

When using them on the outside (for concave top molds, not flat ones), I've found it works better to use the next size up at least. I mean: for 2" pillars the 2" wick pin is too convex for the mold to sit flat w/o wobbling, but if you use a 3" pin, it sits nice and flat. Same thing for a 3" pillar...I use a 4" pin. Of course using sealer around the pin too.

I use mine on the outside, and it seems that because of the putty I can never get them flat. :rolleyes: I tend to do mostly tilted layers now so that doesn't affect me as much but so frustrating at times.

Once again showing my ignorance here but -

Votive wickpins do go inside the votive mold don't they?

Please don't tell me I need to drill holes in these votive molds lol

No, you're right! LOL Votive wick pins go inside the mold!!

Whew!

I was certain they did but in all my reading I never saw it stated anywhere and this thread got me to thinking - - -

and that is ALWAYS a dangerous thing LOL

Lord knows what boneheaded things I am going to pull before it is all said and done :D

Once again showing my ignorance here but -

Votive wickpins do go inside the votive mold don't they?

Please don't tell me I need to drill holes in these votive molds lol

No the votive wick pins fit inside the votive molds.

Thought you were talking about pillar molds.

thanks folks!

You know, leveling the wick pin/molds might be a good use for all those packing peanuts I have now LOL wish me luck!

Just a thought...depending on how hot you pour, your mold filled with hot wax might melt the peanuts.

I'm trying to attach a pix to show how I use mold sealer to level the base of a wick pin, esp when I'm using a mold that has a concave top. The wick pin is inserted thru the hole, leaving the base on the outside. The four sealer balls need to be about the same size.

Let's see if this works .... Yea, it worked, but boy is that huge! lol. Anyway, when you press the base & the mold togehter, the balls flatten out & the base is stabalized. There's just enough give that if your pin is off center a little, you can work w/ leveling the base.

HTH.

post-482-139458376727_thumb.jpg

I know a lot of people use the Wick Pins, here is an alternative. It is easy to use and I have them for many sizes. You can seal the bottom and place the tool in from the top. It automatically sets the wick hole without having to worry about coming thru the bottom or putting the wick pin inside, the rod makes it easy to pull the candle out of the mold and also the handle makes it easy to pull the rod out of the candle. You can use the tool with or without the rod. If you pour with the wick in the candle the tool works the same just pull the wick thru the hole and clip it. These work great if you make chunk pillar candles the rod will not move on you. You can still pour with this on and poke your releif holes. I make these out of metal right by hand now and I am getting bids from Plastic Mold companies to make these for me. The rod is Stainless Steel so it is easy to remove. You can check out our site and go to the Wick Centering Tool page and check out some of the different sizes. The 2, 3 and 4 inch fit the round square and octagon shaped molds. Not trying to change anybody just offering an alternative. You can seal the hole in the mold and make a lot of pours before you have to redo the bottom, the site shows different ways to seal the bottom. The tool works with flat bottom or concave molds. Thanks

Thanks Robert and Don

EZ Wick Systems

www.ezwicksys.com

post-605-139458376769_thumb.jpg

post-605-139458376774_thumb.jpg

post-605-139458376777_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob. I've been meaning to try out that wick centering tool. If it works out I might buy a bunch for production.

If the final remaining problem of bent rods (in wick pins too) could be solved, all would be right with the world. Sometimes I don't think there's a straight wick rod in the whole wide world.

shortly after this thread started, I received an order of Peak's 3" economy molds that they had on sale and to my surprise they are a touch under 3" in diameter. The wick pins will not fit inside. This mold will actually slip inside my other 3" molds and they are flat bottom so a lot of putty is required to level them on the pin.