Which butters/oils clog pores?

Candybee

Its hard to find this info. I thought it would be helpful to start a thread about these particular oils. I realise that just because an oil may clog pores doesn't mean it doesn't have other skin loving benefits. I just find that when I want to make a soap that doesn't include these types of oils I feel lost.

I was reading in Lovemylabs thread about acne soap that coconut oil and shea butter can clog pores.

I know I read somewhere that olive oil does not. But thats about all I really know and want to know more.

This is just my opinion but I don't/won't use bar soap on my face no matter what skin loving oils are in it. All bar soap drys out my face.I only use moisturizing liquid soaps and astringents. I don't know anyone who uses bar soap for the face. If/when I start selling my soaps I won't be making any for face. Plus, you can not market or state that these soaps are for acne anyway, you can only state it is soap to clean. FDA has strict guidelines.

I agree. I know about not making claims about the soap. But that was not what I was thinking about. This is about what soap oils don't clog pores. Its not specifically about acne or face soap but rather the oils/butters themselves. I just want to know as it can factor into a recipe.

I have tried many different kinds of cp soap with a wide variety of oils. I LOVE it for my body, the lather is awesome and the scents are lovely and I find it to be moisturizing yet cleansing. But I never use cp soap on my face. It definitely clogs pores..as least mine get clogged. I also tell my hubby and sons not to use it on their face.

Candy, when I did my research for my acne soap I googled comedogenic oils (clog pores) and non-comedogenic oils (not so much). I have to correct an earlier post in another thread. Cocoa Butter clogs pores not Shea butter.

You'll find quite a bit of info. here's a start: http://soapnuts.com/noncomo.html and http://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html

Edited by IwantItgreen

I know cocoa butter is supposed to be pore clogging. I don't know if that was using it alone as an emollient or if it was still clogging in formulations such as soap.

I use my CP on my face and have for nearly a decade. As long as folks keep thinking I'm 15 years younger than I really am (I'm 41, mistaken for mid 20's often), I'll keep using it. ;-)

My CP soap is the only thing that has been used on my face since I started making it years ago! I had to change soaps every couple months cause store soaps would burn and believe me when I say I tried everything on the market, plus prescriptions. Chemo years ago left my face so sensitive that nothing was helping. I started making CP soap with a castile, 100% goat's milk bar and haven't looked back, my face LOVES it. When I got rosacea I started making a neem oil soap and my rosacea disappeared, after trying all the prescriptions that again burned my face.

I don't know why you would tell someone not to use bar soap on their face, that's just foolish! Depending on the oils or butters used, it just may save someone else a lot of grief like I went through. I have a good customer base for my soaps and they all use it on their face and come back for more. :cool2:

I too use my CP soap on my face. I would always break out but since using my soap the last 5 years, rarely get pimples. I have VERY oily skin tho' so my skin just seems to love my soap! My oatmeal bar is a favorite for "acne" sufferers for some reason. Not claiming it calms acne..but it sure seems to do just that for me and my friends.

Thanks for the great links. I printed them out to keep in my soaping resource manual so I can always check it when starting a new recipe.

I didn't see palm oil or PKO mentioned. I would assume these would be comedogenic too like coconut oil. Does anyone know?

It would be nice to have an oil/butter in the recipe that helps lather and harden the bar. Maybe Babassu oil?

Edited by Candybee

I make a neem soap for trouble skin and I have many customers buy it regularly. Personally I use a very mild lavender soap on my face, that is very sensitive. I usually use soap with a cleaning value of 10 or less with at least a 7% superfat and 20% lard, and it is not the least drying. I have had severe eczema since age 2 and grew up never using store bought soap on my face, only water. Since making my soap I can now use soap on my face. I also use a lavender salt scrub when I am itching really bad...burns like a b...ch but stops the itch!

I just do not worry about the comedogenic charts and reading how the testing is done.

Hey Candybee, I'm actually reading 3 books at once right now-- soap, skin/eo's and an aromatherapy book.

I just got through reading that kokum butter is moisturizing (but, non greasy) without clogging pores- good for dehydrated acne prone skin.(would make a harder bar).

And your babbasu - a rich, penetrating oil that does not clog pores..And we know it's great for lather.

I know that grape seed and hazelnut oils are astringent.. But, I'm not sure if they are pore clogging

Sometimes I get so frustrated when I read online info,charts and books..And I come across conflicting info ugh...Reading that beneficial botanicals chart, it gave mineral oil a (2) moderately low for pore clogging....I thought mineral oil was very pore clogging??