Wick Selection Frustration Syndrome

I've ordered most of my wicks from Candlescience. No reason in particular, except that I probably just ended up there first when I got into making candles about a year ago. I also have a hodgepodge assortment from other vendors. The CS wick selector became my default location because I was simply familiar with it.  Here's an example of my problem: I decide to make candle X, using XX wax in an XXX size mold. Based on the waxes I'm using right now, the selector will direct me to an LX or an ECO wick. That's great! I've got all of those. Then I realize that I need an 8 inch or maybe a 10 inch length but the the company doesn't sell anything longer than 6 inches. It's not just CS. This could be any company. 

I need to make THAT candle right then. So what could I substitute? I have no idea. Surely, the wick they suggest can't possibly be the only one that will work. I know some will say you have to do do burn tests. I can't disagree with that, but I can't afford the time (in this instance) and certainly not the expense of owning every wick ever made. There is no definitive reference out there.  What do I do?  Calgon, Take me away!  

11 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I know some will say you have to do do burn tests. I can't disagree with that, but I can't afford the time (in this instance)

Honestly, in my opinion, if you can't afford the time to test, you can't afford to make the candle. If you do not know how that candle will burn with an unknown wick (and I have found that most wick guides are generalizations and for the most part are not even close to being accurate) then how on earth are you going to know if you have a safe product? One that will not be too hot, and be a possible fire hazard. There is just no substitute for testing. 

Yes, other wicks will most likely absolutely work, but without testing, you aren't going to know. 

I have found that most places will never have tabbed wicking longer than 6", and in that case you need to find a place that sells spooled wick, and then, yep you guessed it, test that wick, because it will come unprimed where as most tabbed wicking comes pre-primed. So the 2 will possibly differ in how they burn due to that. Again, that's why everyone on this board and hopefully every candle forum there is, will stress the importance of testing. 

Not testing and putting out an inferior product not only hurts you and your sales, but everyone in the industry of homemade candles. 

I will now get off my "soap box" so to speak, and tell you that I know there is a wick comparison list somewhere (cannot remember where it is located though, so sorry) that compares different wicks that are compatible in size. If you can find that, then you'd be in better shape. 

It seems to me that you are not asking "how do I avoid wick testing?" But rather "how do I narrow down which wick series to test out of all the possibilities??"

yes?

If that's the case, please let me suggest that you check out Precision Wicking. @TallTayl highly reccomends them, and as usual she is spot on. They have wonderful detailed info on all the commonly available wick series, including which application they work best in. It's a great place to start.

As far as the 6" dilemma, like @Jcandleattic said, it might be time to consider wicking by the spool.

For a comparison chart, I am pretty sure Candlewic has one on their website, but I don't know how many series it compares. Same with Aztec.

• Thanks 1

@Quentin I use the wick charts from Wicks Unlimited - like this one for example http://wicksunlimited.com/wicks/atkins-pearce-candle-wicks/atkins-pearce-cotton-core-wicks/ to help me narrow down wick types + sizes that may have a similar burn results.    If I recall correctly, Precision has a similar set up. Either site is great.  These charts have been such time savers for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have hit on something I have thought about, and even tried unsuccessfully to work on, but not posted about; a wick equivalence chart. I tried using several of the wick charts that are available on the internet, but that didn’t work, frankly the charts are of limited use. Eventually I’ll have enough test data to be able to make a few observations, but even those may be valid only for the wax I’m using. Still, it sure would be nice to have a wick equivalence chart, just to use to help know where to start testing; I would never suggest using such a thing in place of testing, at least not on this board☺️    

• Thanks 1

I will try and find a comparison chart that I made up from one I found a long time ago.

It is cd's versus htp's as those are the 2 style wicks I use.

I might be able to find it here in the archives.

Trappeur

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2018 at 6:33 PM, Sarah S said:

It seems to me that you are not asking "how do I avoid wick testing?" But rather "how do I narrow down which wick series to test out of all the possibilities??"

yes?

If that's the case, please let me suggest that you check out Precision Wicking. @TallTayl highly reccomends them, and as usual she is spot on. They have wonderful detailed info on all the commonly available wick series, including which application they work best in. It's a great place to start.

As far as the 6" dilemma, like @Jcandleattic said, it might be time to consider wicking by the spool.

For a comparison chart, I am pretty sure Candlewic has one on their website, but I don't know how many series it compares. Same with Aztec.

Thank you. That was exactly what I was saying. I was talking about THAT SPECIFIC SITUATION, NOT TESTING IN GENERAL. I test all the time. 

12 hours ago, pughaus said:

@Quentin I use the wick charts from Wicks Unlimited - like this one for example http://wicksunlimited.com/wicks/atkins-pearce-candle-wicks/atkins-pearce-cotton-core-wicks/ to help me narrow down wick types + sizes that may have a similar burn results.    If I recall correctly, Precision has a similar set up. Either site is great.  These charts have been such time savers for me.

This was the sort of information I was hoping to find. Simply a starting point. I may have had something right in front of me in my work space, but how was I to know. Thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forrest said:

You have hit on something I have thought about, and even tried unsuccessfully to work on, but not posted about; a wick equivalence chart. I tried using several of the wick charts that are available on the internet, but that didn’t work, frankly the charts are of limited use. Eventually I’ll have enough test data to be able to make a few observations, but even those may be valid only for the wax I’m using. Still, it sure would be nice to have a wick equivalence chart, just to use to help know where to start testing; I would never suggest using such a thing in place of testing, at least not on this board☺️    

I'm the type person who goes by the instruction book. I actually read owner's manuals. When something goes wrong in the process, it frustrates me. That's why I'm never going to be afraid or shy about asking "stupid" questions or those that might embarrass me. That's how you learn things no matter how long you've been at it. I don't intend to ever stop learning. Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 4:49 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I have found that most places will never have tabbed wicking longer than 6", and in that case you need to find a place that sells spooled wick

Actually, in the last 24 hours I've found some places that sell 8 inch tabbed and primed wicks. LX, ECO, you name it. Candlewic was one of them. When I first got into this, less than a year ago, I was surprised that there were pre-made wicks. My thought at that time was "that seems like cheating". :lol: It felt too much like building with a kit to me. I have bought by the spool, primed, stretched, cut to length and all that. I find it to be rather fun. 

11 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I will try and find a comparison chart that I made up from one I found a long time ago.

It is cd's versus htp's as those are the 2 style wicks I use.

That would be very helpful. If you locate it, please let me know.

46 minutes ago, Quentin said:

For a comparison chart, I am pretty sure Candlewic has one on their website, but I don't know how many series it compares.

So far I found that most of the companies that have charts of that sort are dedicated to the wicks THEY sell.;) 

15 hours ago, Quentin said:

That would be very helpful. If you locate it, please let me know.

@Quentin, I make little quick reference sheets like this for the wick types I use the most.  I haven't found a wick chart on the web for Premiers and I do use small Premiers  for several FO's in a certain jar  so I have those on my chart listed simply as "alts".

COMPS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pughaus said:

I make little quick reference sheets like this for the wick types I use the most.  I haven't found a wick chart on the web for Premiers and I do use small Premiers  for several FO's in a certain jar  so I have those on my chart listed simply as "alts".

That's a nice system. I like it. I have a spreadsheet for each of my formulas, my handwritten notes from my testing. Yes, I do test. ;) I also use a cost-to-retail calculator that has all the component parts for each candle listed. But I need to make something like you've got there. I see some wicks listed there that I recognize and own, the CDs, HTPs, and of course the LX. I haven't run across the performa yet. Are you making pillars, votives and jars/containers or do you specialize in one?

39 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Nothing like that. I was just venting frustration over the myriad of wicks out there.

After reading others' replies, I realized my reply was not even close to what you were actually asking, and you got great advice from everyone else. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 9:54 AM, pughaus said:

Yes, the wick information and wick charts on Wicks Unlimited's website is great. I recently called them and talked to the guy that does their candle and wick testing. He said the main thing to look at on their charts is the "Yield" column, which was what I had been doing. The Yield is very helpful for knowing which size to go to next for either wicking up or down. Per their site, "The higher the yield, the smaller the wick and the flame and the resulting heat generated." I printed their wick charts out and popped them in my different wick bags.  http://wicksunlimited.com/wicks/atkins-pearce-candle-wicks/atkins-pearce-performa-wicks/

Another great source for wick information and charts is Atkins & Pearce http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, pughaus said:

@Quentin, I make little quick reference sheets like this for the wick types I use the most.  I haven't found a wick chart on the web for Premiers and I do use small Premiers  for several FO's in a certain jar  so I have those on my chart listed simply as "alts".

COMPS.jpg

I really like Premier WI 700 series wicks and usually get great results with them, nice burn and great scent throw. A Premier Wick chart is on this page at The Flaming Candle.  http://www.theflamingcandle.com/wick-guide/

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Which wax(es) do you like the premier series for? 

Hi TallTayl.

As you can tell, I'm new here. Hello my fellow Chandlers. :) The Coconut 83 wax (Accu-Blend MFG & CA Candle Supply supplier) and with or w/o Universal Soy Wax Additive and 10% scent. The Performa wicks have been doing great as well and act about the same as the Premier 700 series. Both wick types have burned nicely so far, complete or nearly complete melt pools, some minimal mushrooming and great scent throw. I'll take some mushrooming any day over hot jars or uncontrollable soot. I'm still playing with wick sizes.

• Thanks 1