New England Made show

Just putting this up there for anyone interested in looking.  The New England Made show is happening today and tomorrow here in Portland, Maine. Its literally less than 1/2 mile from my house. The sattelite parking lot for exhibitors is further away than where I live :P It is New Englands largest trade show and its sister show in the fall is down in Mass. There are a lot of B&B exhibitors as well as candles. Tons of jewlery and most of all nautical themed made products.  Its a really nice show and one day I hope to get a spot in it. Maybe after I start wholesale if I ever do.

Link to site: https://www.nemadeshows.com/

You can also pay a small fee in addition to booth spaces and get into the buyers book. Here is the digital preview of it: 

https://www.flipsnack.com/9E56F998B7A/new-england-made-buyer-preview-spring-2018.html

Fall 2017's digital Look Book preview:

https://www.flipsnack.com/9E56F998B7A/new-england-made-buyer-preview-fall-2017.html

Edited by Clear Black

4 hours ago, birdcharm said:

You mean the cars are driving past your house?  Hurry!!  ... get out there ... set up some tables, put up a sign "Get Your Candles Here!"  :)

:P No, just a bit further away than my actual street that would be great wouldnt it? 

1 hour ago, Clear Black said:

@Sarah S I wish I could get inside! But its a wholesale trade show, so unless you are a seller or a wholesale buyer you cannot get in. It is closed to the general public sadly

Clear Black if you buy any of your supplies wholesale, you have a resale tax number, don't you?   That's all you need to get into the show.  They also would need probably your business card and some sales invoices of someone you buy from to show proof.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

10 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Clear Black if you buy any of your supplies wholesale, you have a resale tax number, don't you?   That's all you need to get into the show.  They also would need probably your business card and some sales invoices of someone you buy from to show proof.

Trappeur

I dont think I have ever bought anything that would qualify me as a wholesale buyer. I just buy raw ingredients at wholesale and pallet rate pricing so if that qualifies me it would be news to me lol!

I think for next years show I may try and get a resale tax number somehow just so I can get in there and poke around. 

Trade shows are not the same as a juried craft show. Trade shows are for businesses that do wholesale and have a track record of 5 yrs or more of wholesale experience. Another wholesale type show is the cash and carry shows. For these shows you need a truckload of product and be ready to sell up to hundreds or thousands of the same product. People I know who do these shows tend to specialize in one product. Like say they do wax melts but make them in only 4 scents. Then they take thousands of these to the cash and carry shows and sell them by the hundreds or thousands at a time. Many who do these shows have several wholesale customers who buy from them every year.

I thought about doing the shows at one time but honestly I don't want to reproduce at such a high volume like a factory. That's just not for me.

On 3/21/2018 at 3:44 PM, Candybee said:

Trade shows are not the same as a juried craft show. Trade shows are for businesses that do wholesale and have a track record of 5 yrs or more of wholesale experience. Another wholesale type show is the cash and carry shows. For these shows you need a truckload of product and be ready to sell up to hundreds or thousands of the same product. People I know who do these shows tend to specialize in one product. Like say they do wax melts but make them in only 4 scents. Then they take thousands of these to the cash and carry shows and sell them by the hundreds or thousands at a time. Many who do these shows have several wholesale customers who buy from them every year.

I thought about doing the shows at one time but honestly I don't want to reproduce at such a high volume like a factory. That's just not for me.

This show is more like the first one you described. Its basically buyers looking to purchase your product by the case. This particular show doesnt require as many as 5 years wholesale experience though. I think the price for a 10x10 booth was around $1200 for the weekend. Im not quite ready to step into wholesale yet, I was more interested in just poking around and seeing whats there :D 

• Like 3

I know a few of the vendors who do this show, and many of my wholesale accounts buy from this show. You can walk the show for free as a potential vendor, which is what my husband and I did last year. It was absolutely a great learning experience, and I would highly recommend doing that next year even if you're not quite ready to commit yet - especially since it's so close to you! It's great to see all of the vendors in action, get a sense of how things work, and see the vendor displays.

From what I've heard from other vendors: your booth location plays a big part in your success (many first year vendors get less than ideal spots), and you really need to do the show for 2-3 years before you break even, as buyers become familiar with you and trust that you're a viable business who can fulfill their orders. It is definitely on my radar once I am able to get a bigger production space and get myself in a position to expand my wholesale reach.

• Like 1