What do you think of this idea for packaging the portion cup melts?

Trappeur

It has  always bothered me in my mind of selling whatever you want to call them "crumbles" in those kraft bags with windows.  I know everyone has their own formulas for making melts so that is not the question here.  The smearing on the windows bothers me and really.....don't all melts smear somewhat even if just a little?  I can't imagine not.

I was wondering what you thought of this....

Why couldn't I make up small portion cups and label them individually and then put them in a craft window bag?  There could be a few different ways to offer them.  I could do assorted scents or do them all the same.  And what is the smallest portion cup that I could buy?  This is in the thinking stage.  Has anyone ever done something like this?

Trappeur

• Like 1

My wax smudges (many think it is soy due to the texture!) and it makes me crazy. I ship direct to consumer so I do not have to worry with shop wear. I think your idea sounds fun! Portion cups come in many sizes. 1 and 2 ounce are most popular. You could even do 4 ounce size and sell them individually.

• Like 1

That would be a good idea....

I personally just a couple of weeks ago decided to see how using a mediuim cube mold would work and poured a bunch of different scents colored and thought about using the window Kraft bags but decided to use my 8 ounce tins instead- I won't make tin candles anymore because of rusting so I filled the tins with a combo of scents and they turned out adorable 

I used cinnamon- sugar cookie and vanilla in one so you can use 1 cube of each for a wonderful scent or just use 2 different combos or one

the other one I did was campfire- mistletoe and pops pipe and wow was that a hit combo.....I plan to play more with these but have to catch up my candle stock first 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

That would look great. I use 2 oz oval portion cups myself. I went ahead and tried this out, I put 4 cups 2 high and then placed the 5th cup on its side so the label is facing the window. Then I placed another cup in the bag. The result is that they would look great, the cup facing the window was a perfect height. I think you came up with a great idea but I do not think it would work for me. The market that I am at is open every weekend, most people only buy 1 or 2 of the same scent but, like you said there are many ways you could do this.

I use the 2 ounce portion cups but put mine in muslin bags. I know the kraft bags are popular but Im not a big fan for some reason. I also like the glassine

bags, I think they have a vintage feel to them and you could add a colorful round sticker to seal it. 

• Like 1

Well, thanks for all positive responses....I'm going to play around with this here.  That sounds really great McGee...but my problem is I'm thinking people are going to take these cups out of the bags to smell and when they put back in the bag, I'm just imagining them not putting the lids back on tightly properly the way they came off..and then they put in the bags with loose lids laying in the bag....hmmmmm

Moonstar, I LOVE that muslin bag look...that is so me.....I would stamp it.  Like you said a vintage look.  And the tins would be awesome in it too...seems like some good ideas here....

Ok, so what do you all sell these things for?

Trappeur

On 1/16/2017 at 11:36 AM, moonshine said:

That would be a good idea....

I personally just a couple of weeks ago decided to see how using a mediuim cube mold would work and poured a bunch of different scents colored and thought about using the window Kraft bags but decided to use my 8 ounce tins instead- I won't make tin candles anymore because of rusting so I filled the tins with a combo of scents and they turned out adorable 

I used cinnamon- sugar cookie and vanilla in one so you can use 1 cube of each for a wonderful scent or just use 2 different combos or one

the other one I did was campfire- mistletoe and pops pipe and wow was that a hit combo.....I plan to play more with these but have to catch up my candle stock first 

I'd love to see a picture of this, Moonshine.

• Like 1

They all sold....I do have some leftover cubes at the office that I will throw in a tin and take a pic but it might not be the exact combos I made depending on what's left over 

I used my basic round label for jars and put Scent Combo for the name listing the 3 individual scents under it but it seems they could be become very popular and I'm working on a whole new label for these, I have several tins to use up so may as well try and sell them some how ?

Working on some spring combo ideas to create next for them 

I also did a few in the small salsa jar that I bought thinking I was going to use with black lids and surprisingly they did not smear the glass and they sold first being able to see thru them....but kinda expensive to keep doing that I just wanted to get rid of them and clean out jars/tins I won't be using 

On 1/16/2017 at 2:51 PM, Trappeur said:

Well, thanks for all positive responses....I'm going to play around with this here.  That sounds really great McGee...but my problem is I'm thinking people are going to take these cups out of the bags to smell and when they put back in the bag, I'm just imagining them not putting the lids back on tightly properly the way they came off..and then they put in the bags with loose lids laying in the bag....hmmmmm

Moonstar, I LOVE that muslin bag look...that is so me.....I would stamp it.  Like you said a vintage look.  And the tins would be awesome in it too...seems like some good ideas here....

Ok, so what do you all sell these things for?

Trappeur

How about putting a cup outside of the bags at your display for people to sniff? That way only the sample will get handled. I put my sniff samples in a small basket next to a list of available scents on thr table 

I don't usually color soy, last I tried it was a nightmare with frost so this was a learning curve for me and so far so good but it could be because there is PB in the mix....the red ones did frost a touch but didn't look horrific 

parasoy I love to color so I may switch these cubes to the parasoy to make sure they don't turn fugly ?

Those are cutie patootie Moonhine.....Now I used to do them and put them in a 8oz mason jar and they sold but not that great, but that was a few years back.  I'm might try them again.  Here is how I used to do mine.  Now these little square jars and the old timey lid brought these up in price as I had to order the jars and pay shipping.  Nowadays I buy all my canning jars at save a lot, or dollar store or general dollar for cheap and there is no shipping so that saves me a hell of a lot.  And too instead of using these old timey lids which are expensive I now get the cheapy just plain black or rust lids for el cheapo.  And you know what......with a great looking label and maybe something tied around the neck if you want to go that far, they can be quite nice looking and besides...no one cares anyway.  Believe it or not these melts were made with just plain C3 and they didn't smear on the jars....I've also done them in just the 464 with no problem,,,,but this held held lots (like 40 melts) and it is very time consuming....

Trappeur

CIMG6734_1.jpg

CIMG6927_1.jpg

CIMG6783.jpg

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Trappeur,

Those are so darn cute; great idea!  Did you use different fragrances in the same jar?  And no smudging with 464, wow.

Goldie

No Goldie,

They were all the same scent.

Trappeur

Those are adorable Trapp!!

time consuming I can see....the little cubes I did were not too bad as I bought 6 molds to pour 6 scents and then added 3 different scents to a tin....I also have other glass jars I don't use for candles so I'm going to use them up As well and rid all my tins and then go back to the easier clamshells! ? 

I saw on peak their clearance jars and had to slap myself....I do not need more jars....I do not need more jars 

Those are darling! I love the rustic primitive look. I've made those before and put them in jars too but I don't think mine ever looked as cute as yours. When I use 4625 alone, it doesn't smear like the other blends do. That drives me crazy too! 

Do you mind me asking where you got the mold to do those?