Do you make scents you don't really like?

QTsmum

I'm curious what others do. I fully hope to start a business out of candle making. There is nothing like this in my town, so I think I'd do well!

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys/gals make candles you're not really fond of? I LOVE bakery scents. Hands down my favourite. I love beachy scents too, but I'm not really fond of floral. I know there are plenty people in the world that DO like floral, so I know I *should* make some (in the future, when I'm ready!)...does anyone just suck it up and make scents they don't really care for?

How do you choose which one to do, if you do this?

Do you have a 'sniff friend'? :laugh2:

Not a candle, but I do make a soap I can't stand the smell of. I first made it hoping the smell would be better in soap then OOB, but it wasn't. I gave the first batch I made to a couple friends, because I was just going to throw it away. Well guess what, everyone that smells it loves it and asked me to make more.

Yes, I do make ones that would be the last candle I would ever burn, but there are a few that I can't physically pour. Anything coconut will make me vomit instantly without warning, so I stay away.

I do some that I pour and then leave a.s.a.p because I don't LIKE the scent, however Nag Champa really threw me and made me nauseous and ill. Then the kicker was after I poured it into testers I went to my daughters band concert. There I was all innocent when a family sat in the row in front of me. One of the teenage daughters was wearing Nag Champa perfume. I mean what are the ODDS on that?? :shocked2: After the first song was played I had to move seats, even though it's considered rude to interrupt the concert. I couldn't take it, that scent was making me sick and then she was bathed in it. Uuuuugh.

:tiptoe:

" Do you make scents you're not fond of "

<sigh> alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. I found out that what I like, and what the customers like, is usually at opposite ends of the spectrum and since they are buying them and making me money, I have to give them what THEY want.. not what I want LOL

" Do you make scents you're not fond of "

<sigh> alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time. I found out that what I like, and what the customers like, is usually at opposite ends of the spectrum and since they are buying them and making me money, I have to give them what THEY want.. not what I want LOL

Exactly.

I absolutely hate baby powder and lilac gives me a headache.

I love lemon verbena and my wife thinks it is just ok.

Everyone is different, have a suggestion box or pad and write down the FOs people ask you about.

Usually it's the real popular ones from the BIG companies like Yxxxxxs buttercream or something similar.

Exactly.

I absolutely hate baby powder and lilac gives me a headache.

I love lemon verbena and my wife thinks it is just ok.

Everyone is different, have a suggestion box or pad and write down the FOs people ask you about.

Usually it's the real popular ones from the BIG companies like Yxxxxxs buttercream or something similar.

I haven't run into making scents that I don't like. It's more I like scents that my customers don't like. Lol!

This last craft show I did Get asked, "do you have such and such"? Lemon verbena, eucalyptus, and some caramel vanilla scent that this lady just dies for.

Oh yuk! All the time! I also test scents all the time I know I'd rather die than use. :)

The down side is that I have to smell that stink...the upside is still that the stink smells green...weather I like it or not! I always pour the scents I like least first then pour those I LOVE last! I can end on a good note anyway!

I hate florals for the most part but sell a lot of them! I personally like earthy scents like Patchouli, Sandalwood etc. or spicy scents. I also love a lot of the mens designer dupes types. I can tolerate fruity scents and some I like but floral...blech!

I hate leather, I hate coconut. My customer love leather. My customers love coconut. I make leather, I make coconut. I even have a couple that like the candle layered with leather and coconut.

I always make sure the scents I don't like are the last ones of the day that I pour. That way I go straight inside the house and clean up ASAP.

Anything bakery/food- I hate them! I like vanilla and cinnamon bun but when I do blueberry cobbler- apple pie- pumpkin pie- banana nut bread I am sooo sick to my stomach!! I love baking this stuff and love that smell but making candles in it is horrible!!! But I can use them and sometimes like them in the finished product- must be the strong concentration when mixing!!

I really can't stand Sandalwood. I know from an aromatherapy point of view I should embrace it, but I can't stand it. I also really dislike florals, they are too over powering. I would prefer bakery smells and coconut, also quite like citrus which is strange because I don't particularly like citrus fruit to eat.

• 1 year later...

All the time. I'm not a fan of leather, but so many are. If we made only what we like, our choices would end up very limited and that reduces sales.

The trick on this is not to get caught up buying everything someone wants. You end up with inventory that won't move. We had a year where people were requesting things right and left and went in pursuit to find the scents only to have people ignore them. It was a lesson learned. If we get more than five requests for something then we'll start looking at something, but otherwise we just say we don't have it. Even if we start looking for a particular scent, there's no guarantee that we'll buy it and start testing with it. We just like to see what the interest range is. If we continue to get requests at different shows for a particular scent then we're likely to buy it and start testing.

I'm curious what others do. I fully hope to start a business out of candle making. There is nothing like this in my town, so I think I'd do well!

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys/gals make candles you're not really fond of? I LOVE bakery scents. Hands down my favourite. I love beachy scents too, but I'm not really fond of floral. I know there are plenty people in the world that DO like floral, so I know I *should* make some (in the future, when I'm ready!)...does anyone just suck it up and make scents they don't really care for?

How do you choose which one to do, if you do this?

Do you have a 'sniff friend'? :laugh2:

That love spell baffles me...isn't it one of Victoria secretes number 1 scents?? I cannot stand and refuse to pour it

I tried their lotion once and kept looking for where the cat pee'ed!

Thank goodness I never had anyone ask for it

Baffles me as well. I used to love it - makes me want to puke now. It sells so well for so many. Maybe it's our scent receptors being refined as we age? (Yeah, I'll go with that one).