Disappointed

chuck_35550

I know this is gonna sound weird but it seems like a distributor's fos will have a similar base with little or no complexity. I am testing a half dozen samplers from ICS and they smell mostly bland with a vanilla-hint of spice or a hit of coffee. CS is much the same way to my nose but my old fos are so alive and much more clompex to my nose. Oh I came across a bottle of Magic of India and its so much better than all these NG identical fos. Is it because of the phalatle whatever business or all perfumers using the same bag of tricks? AH/RE and CC are about the only ones that seem stronger and complex. Is it just me?

Steve

I poured Ultimate Pumpkin Cheesecake, Cinnamon Buns (new formula), Pumpkin Zuchhini Bread, Bear Claws, Caramelized Pralines, Gourmets Sugar Cookie, Cafe Vienna, Gingerbread Cate Latte, a mix of Vanilla Hazelnut and Mocha. I still have Christmas Wish, Sugared Spruce, Christmas Past, Christmas Kitchen, Holiday Homecoming, Vanilla Wafers, Coffee Bean, Toasted Marshmallow, and Birthday Cake to pour. In all fairness, I need to let these cure in my 70/30 soy wax before a final judgement.

Is it because of the phalatle whatever business or all perfumers using the same bag of tricks? AH/RE and CC are about the only ones that seem stronger and complex. Is it just me?

I think it's formulation changes to go to being free of pthalates, and is one more reason I'm trying to use up stock and back out of this money pit....oops... I mean hobby. The quality, as in everything all around us, is going downhill. I got an order from Lone Star recently and I thought the FOs seemed not up to snuff compared to past purchases.

I wonder how the big companies like Yankee and Bath and Body Works are dealing with component reformulations? I don't buy their stuff so I don't really know if their scents have morphed over the past few years.

I too have come across this problem. My last several orders from NG was not up to snuff...weak, bland, very little OOB scent and disappointing CT & HT...I only do tarts. They use to be one of my top suppliers. Whatever is going on I wish it would stop...I've thrown away more samples than I care to know. If I order 10 samples, I'm lucky if one is a keeper..didn't use to be this way.

Steve, it's not just you -- over the years, I have seen a HUGE decline in quality of oils from companies I've always loved (NG, CS, etc). I just recently purchased about a dozen samples from CS -- what a disappointment! About two years ago I started branching out and trying other vendors (CandleWic, Connie's, BW, SG, and a handful of others). I've found a few keeper oils from each, but it's become less cost effective to buy five oils from here and five oils from there when I used to be able to buy dozens of oils from one supplier.

It's getting harder and harder to "woo" our customers :\

I have noticed this too. I have the most luck with Backwoods, Peaks, Candle Cocoon, AH and a few at CS and Millcreek. I have definitely noticed a descrease in quality over the years. There are a few other places I have not tried but want to. I should say that I do have pretty good luck with MMS but I don't order a lot of samples from there or carry a lot from there but the ones I do are great.

Edited by Holly

chuck_35550, I could not agree more with just about everything that you have said. The only thing that I disagree with is the blandness. Not all of the newer fos are bland from the suppliers that you have mentioned. But, they all have very similar uneventful, simplistic base notes and are nothing special.

Edited by Noodle

So it isn't just me! I ordered some samples from NG a few weeks ago and was sooooo disappointed in them in my 415 soy. Just no throw at all. Weak weak weak! I used to love their oils and really didn't have probs in my soy but after these samples I'm really disappointed. These were also touted as working great in soy and strong....not! Bummed!

Well, run all my comments through the filter of my being new.

I think I must be the pickiest "smeller" on the planet. There. I said it.

I have just tried 152 FO's (I checked my spreadsheet!) from 9 suppliers. Clearly, FAR less than most of you. Of those 152, I only have 57 marked as "Maybe" or "Yes" in my field labeled Repurchase.

I am starting to get a universal burnt sugar and/or a generic nutty scent to many that I choose. I already admitted to being picky but I could, in addition, be a poor selector and could also already have candle nose.

I was really hoping to have dozens that I love and that I could narrow down my FO suppliers to jst 1 or 2. That would be a no for me.

I too have come across this problem. My last several orders from NG was not up to snuff...weak, bland, very little OOB scent and disappointing CT & HT...I only do tarts. They use to be one of my top suppliers. Whatever is going on I wish it would stop...I've thrown away more samples than I care to know. If I order 10 samples, I'm lucky if one is a keeper..didn't use to be this way.
So it isn't just me! I ordered some samples from NG a few weeks ago and was sooooo disappointed in them in my 415 soy. Just no throw at all. Weak weak weak! I used to love their oils and really didn't have probs in my soy but after these samples I'm really disappointed. These were also touted as working great in soy and strong....not! Bummed!

I couldn't agree more with these opinions! Glad I'm not the only one. I have absolutely given up on NG. 90% of their oils have been extremely weak, some scents - to the point of being non-existent. I can't smell them and it isn't candle nose! They just flat out suck! Their quality has really gone down. I refuse to order from them anymore.

Edited by rctfavr3

Yeah, most retailers are very hit or miss. Seems to be getting worse as retailers trim costs to remain competitive. Peak, CS and AH/RE are ok. I have found a few from NG through scent research swaps that are OK. I have learned to like the co-oppers like Moonworks for original scents.

The problem with many of the really strong fragrances from the usual retailers is there's something in them that induces headaches and asthma symptoms for me. Whatever those top note aroma chemicals are is a mystery.

I try not to make too much using fragrances as they arrive OOB. Most things I blend myself from various key notes. That serves two purposes: 1) I get more complexity and 2) my things are truly original, not knockoffs someone can get from their local stores.

I think it's hit or miss with almost every supplier. I got into blending so I rarely use anything straight out of the bottle. I always have to spike stuff but that's because I'm too picky and I want my stuff to be a little different.

Don't even get me started on sugar cookie..... I swear all suppliers slap "sugar cookie" on their weakest vanilla.

I love NG. Not a big fan of Candlescience's Fo's except for maybe 2 and I could live with out them if I had too. Peak's got to be my favorite, it's almost at the point where no matter what I buy from them it just works, I'm almost tempted not to bother to test new scents anymore they're so reliable.

I agree though, that's why I've drastically cut back on suppliers and stick with my tried and true ones. I don't have the $$ to waste on crap oils that will sit on my shelf forever.

Yeah, most retailers are very hit or miss. Seems to be getting worse as retailers trim costs to remain competitive. Peak, CS and AH/RE are ok. I have found a few from NG through scent research swaps that are OK. I have learned to like the co-oppers like Moonworks for original scents.

The problem with many of the really strong fragrances from the usual retailers is there's something in them that induces headaches and asthma symptoms for me. Whatever those top note aroma chemicals are is a mystery.

I try not to make too much using fragrances as they arrive OOB. Most things I blend myself from various key notes. That serves two purposes: 1) I get more complexity and 2) my things are truly original, not knockoffs someone can get from their local stores.

Weird you said that because even though KY was a favorite of mine, everytime I'd make candles with her oils my head and stomach hurt. It's got to be a base oil or something from the manufacture.

So funny you started this thread because I was thinking the same thing over the weekend. I know some of you say that you get a consistent "vanilla" or "nutty smell" in most scents, however I have found that I get a consistent "berry" scent in many oils that I use that have fruit in them. For example, I just finished testing CS Black Currant Tea and I swear I can't tell it apart from any old raspberry. Weird! I was expecting to have some great tea notes and I got none of that.

In regards to NG, they were my first supplier when I first started. I learned early on that the majority of their oils do pretty decent in B&B, but candles, not so much.

Peaks is still my go to and +1 on the blending.

Its so funny I read this post tonight. Just earlier today I was at my wax supplier picking up a new wax and while she was getting my order rdy, I was smelling all the FO tester bottles that she has sitting out and I couldnt fine ONE that I liked. I probably smelled like 30 of them and all I could think was ...eh....

They all just kind of smelled sort of generically same.

...I know some of you say that you get a consistent "vanilla" or "nutty smell" in most scents, . ...

I can never smell vanilla scents in any FO's any more. I can smell the real thing (actual vanilla beans, extract from vanilla beans and vanilla paste) but never a fragrance oil. Never ever in candles. I have to use vanilla powder and seeds in sugar scrubs to get any vanilla enjoyment.

The pressure to come out with safe and unique fragrances must be daunting.

I used to LOVE research swaps to try many scents and discover some really great ones.

I think that hit or miss is totally different than what I meant. NG has many good smelling oils. I think that overall, the quality of pretty much every manufacturer has declined. I have oils for personal use that are over 10 years old. These old oils smell the way that they did when I first purchased them. This is not the case with many of the newer oils that I have purchased. Many change and just do not smell the same after a short while. I don't know the specific reason. I just know what I notice.

This is making me think twice about Nature's Garden. It's been a year or more since I ordered anything from them, and absolutely loved what I got then, but now after all the comments about them specifically I'm afraid to order again.... Has the "Cracklin' Birch" changed in the past year?

This is making me think twice about Nature's Garden. It's been a year or more since I ordered anything from them, and absolutely loved what I got then, but now after all the comments about them specifically I'm afraid to order again.... Has the "Cracklin' Birch" changed in the past year?

Not that I can tell... it's awesome.

WEll sadly its hit me too. I just received orders from 6 different companies . While several of the oils were the same many were totally different ( Ill say IMO). I thought I got the wrong Cinnamon Bun from ICS as the One we used was awesome it was her newer version. I thought maybe she sent me the classic as it smelled like muffins with none of the original kick. She simply replied " Hello there, what you ordered is what you got". Its terribly disappointing to find your long used oils so changed. My Ones from RE that were formerly KY smell the same thank Goodness!

I wish we could get a list going of whats changed and whats the same. Heres What I got that seemed Bland and totally different or weak to me.

ICS: New Version Cinn Buns

ICS/ST: Cranberry Orange Spice

ICS Vanilla Bean Noel

Southern Scentsations : Coconut Cream Pie (Coconut is almost non existent )

: Seychelles Cove (A lot of notes missing on this.looked like water)

I get the classic cinnamon bun from ICS, and it is still great after all these years!! Also no problems with the cranberry orange spice.

I don't use NG cause they were we hit or miss! Although there are a couple from there I love.

Recently CS and Peaks oils have been pretty strong and full and very diverse.

I love MW but all I have is the patchouli, but the samples I have smelled seem really good. I just ordered the sugar cookie royale, I couldn't resist.

Candle Cocoon and AH/RE seem to always please the nose too!!