New to consignment, need advice...

lioness11

Hi all,

Last week I got approached by a local business owner who wants to consign my body butter in her shop. She stated that they would take a 50/50 split :undecided and I would be able to set the retail price. FYI: This would be my first "brick and mortar" account.

Upon further inspection, I understand that their portion of the proceeds is way too high for a consignment sale. She also asked me for a tester and I told her that would be fine BUT she would need to purchase the tester at my cost. I thought that was fair but she was like, "oh, I've never had anyone ask that of me".

Anyways, I believe I may have to pass this account up. Any thoughts on how you would approach this matter. I meet with her in person on Thursday.

Just not feeling really good about this at all now.

Thanks!

The couple consignments I had in the past with one I paid a small rental fee for the area I had plus 10% of the sales. The other was just 25% of the sales. Yep, I'd definately pass on her offer........way outrageous!

My take is if you get to set the retail price, who cares what she gets? Just figure her take into your retail price. It sounds pretty much like wholesale except she doesn't pay you upfront.

Having said that, I wouldn't do consignment for any amount of money. Did it once years ago, never again. The retailer pays upfront and it's theirs. I don't care what happens to it once it's in their hands. With consignment, it's yours until someone comes along and buys it. Even though you can't control mishandling, breakage, whatever, it's still yours. Nope, not gonna do it.

Edited by SliverOfWax

Lioness11, imho consignment isn't worth the hassle. I sell wholesale, low min., and that's it.

It's not my concern how much the shop owner chooses to charge her customers; and I don't have to deal with elaborate agreements (stocking shelves, theft... yada yada) :D

Agree - wholesale is better than consignment. But, when I was first starting the first offer I got was consignment. I took it - wanted to 'get out there' - and luckily, it worked out very well. Once the relationship was established, and products were selling well, it turned into a wholesale account, and she is still one of my best accounts. That said however, 50% is crazy. You should have your cost figured out, and therefore, your prices - wholesale and retail. If a 50% mark up from your price is going to make an insane retail price - nothing will move and everyones unhappy. jmho

I would not do business with this lady. She seems to be trying to take advantage of you. Her responding that way to having to pay for a sample is crazy. Seems like she just wants everything for free including her inventory. You're in this business to make money for yourself, you're not a charity. As a business owner she can afford to BUY a body butter.

I have to agree with the " I'd pass on the 50/50 consignment split" option. While consignment works really well for some, it does have a set of "conditions" that go with it that I'd just as soon not have to deal with.

Constantly going by to check on the product, how it's holding up to handling , switching out products, the fact there are quite a few cases of stores closing without giving you notice, and running off with all your product AND your displays... and a ton of other things.

While I have done in the past, and will do consignment with 2 stores that I have for years, know the owner, went all through school with her, and know her business ethics, If and when I get back full swing, I'll be going with wholesale, with a very low minimum for the first two orders, and then in my agreement, they will have to purchase a larger quantity.

To me, consignment helps the store so that they don't need to pay out for something that may not sell. Low risk for them, but with that low risk, there is a low reward of a percentage. Wholesale, they are taking the risk of purchasing without the "insurance" of being able to return what doesn't sell. The bigger risk here means a bigger reward for them - usually double your wholesale price. This "deal" sounds like they want the "pros" of both, without taking any risk at all. I feel that, at the least, it is unfair and a reasonable person would re-consider their stance if questioned.

Note: People that want everything for nothing are generally not reasonable, and you probably have very little chance of working out a mutually agreeable arraingment.

~ Joe

I have a few things to say about consignment.

First off, if your items are not priced where you would make any money after her half is taken, then it's not worth it. I had one consignment account that started at 30/70 and as her shop took off, she changed it to 40/60 which was totally fine. I had it good as in if there were issues with theft, etc. she took care of that. What ended the relationship (for me) was the lack of communication regarding what was still in stock for her. She normally sent me a monthly list of what sold as well as a list of current inventory. I also kept track of the numbers and things didn't match up. It was an innocent mistake, but the lack of organization and completeness was too much work to keep it going.

Bottom line - do what makes you more comfortable, not what is considered the 'norm'. HTH

Hey everybody,

Well, I contacted the shop owner and diplomatically explained that I wouldn't be able to take her offer. I'm so relieved. It never felt right and I ALWAYS trust my instinct. However, all of your replies just help confirm my hesitancy.

Whoo...I just think I saved myself from a nightmare. But I'm still optimistic that something better will come along soon!:yay:

I just saw this thread and wanted to add a comment. We are in eight shops and do both Consignment and Wholesale. Wholesale is nice because we get paid up front and it's usually a nice size order. We are in two Consignment Shops, and we do well with both of them. We price our products so, after the owners cut, we make at least wholesale...(one shop we make more than that). It's nice to get checks each month from the two shops. So the combination of both Consignment and Wholesale work for us. Something will come along for you for sure. As ksranch said...hang in there!

I only do wholesale now. But thats because I have already done the consignment thing. It never worked for me and the worst that happened was a shop that went bankrupt and I lost my products. So if you decide to do the consignment I would; 1. only do consignment with a shop owner I know and trusted; 2. have a consignment contract written up that spells out the terms such as when you get your money and who is responsible for damages and theft; 3. keep a constant vigil on your products and make sure you can take them back when you want if you see trouble ahead.

My experiences have taught me to be very leary of consignment. Others have done well but I am sure that was due to having a great relationship with the store owner and a great shop that sells and cares for their goods.

In all my consignment that I have done I have never heard of a 50% take. Sounds outrageous to me. Most shops in my area take 30% which I still think is high but every shop that I have checked is the same for my area. Although some have a rental fee along with their % take.

Definitely don't consign with a shop you have a bad gut feeling about. Your feelings are usually right on aren't they?!!

I only do wholesale now. But thats because I have already done the consignment thing. It never worked for me and the worst that happened was a shop that went bankrupt and I lost my products. So if you decide to do the consignment I would; 1. only do consignment with a shop owner I know and trusted; 2. have a consignment contract written up that spells out the terms such as when you get your money and who is responsible for damages and theft; 3. keep a constant vigil on your products and make sure you can take them back when you want if you see trouble ahead.

My experiences have taught me to be very leary of consignment. Others have done well but I am sure that was due to having a great relationship with the store owner and a great shop that sells and cares for their goods.

In all my consignment that I have done I have never heard of a 50% take. Sounds outrageous to me. Most shops in my area take 30% which I still think is high but every shop that I have checked is the same for my area. Although some have a rental fee along with their % take.

Definitely don't consign with a shop you have a bad gut feeling about. Your feelings are usually right on aren't they?!!

A new consignment shop opened in my area last year, and when I told the owner I was trying to develop a candle line, he got excited and said if I put them in his store he would take a 25% cut. But, a month later when I was in there he mentioned he was now taking a 50% cut on everything. When I reminded him about the original offer of 50%, he double talked, and that really made me think he was dishonest and greedy. The shop seemed to be doing really well when it suddenly went out of business.

When I started my candles in the eco friendly shop, she was new to business and had just opened. I offered her 25% and she accepted. I felt like I had lowballed her. Sure enough the next year she increased it to 30%; but she added another store! When I get asked by other places now I say 30% as I feel that is fair. 50% is wholesale.

When I started my candles in the eco friendly shop, she was new to business and had just opened. I offered her 25% and she accepted. I felt like I had lowballed her. Sure enough the next year she increased it to 30%; but she added another store! When I get asked by other places now I say 30% as I feel that is fair. 50% is wholesale.

Exactly!

50% is crazy! You pay up front for all of the material, you carry all the product for free for their shelves and they capitalize off of your work. You did very good by walking. I only have 1 shop left with consignment and that's only because it sells product monthly and I know the owner personally and I trust them. I only give 25% at that store. Their price is much more than we sell normally but what do I care, it makes me more money in the long run. It's in a very high traffic area and the exposure is worth the commission ten fold.

Just an update...Would you all believe that she had the nerve to ask me if I would just consign my products just for the holidays and when I said no, she then says.."what about in the new year".

I'm like lady, get a clue will ya? Desparate much????? :laugh2: