Selling candles at farmers market - how well do you do??

JI

Hello,

I have been selling at a local weekly farmers market for the past seven months. The fee is low. ($15/"booth"). It runs on Sat from 0900-2 pm. I typically sell 7-9 times my booth rate ($100-$130). I thought that those were good sales numbers, esp. considering summer time!! It's an open air indoor type market but there is no AC. (This is Florida but as long as I'm not totally outside, I'm fine.) I get repeat customers, new ones, etc. The market is small - about 20 other vendors selling everything from soap to cheeses, organic produce, Avon cosmetics, wood carvings, pottery, pampered chef, scentsy (the lady won't even talk to me, even though I mainly sell candles and just a few tarts!!), fresh breads, etc.

Someone (prospective crafter) was asking me about my sales numbers, how I market, etc and I happily told them. I figured it's always good to share information and lessons learned, etc. (I'm still learning so I always love tips). They thought that earning 7-9 times booth fare was incredibly low for a five hour market in the summer time and that it wasn't worth their time - or mine, in their opinion.

I guess I thought it was good. What type of income range/booth fare multiplier do you typically make at farmers markets? Are my expectations too low? I am certain that things will pick up in the fall/winter. It's disconcerting when you think you have a decent thing going and someone just deflates things.

I think if it works for you and you are happy with it that is all that matters. Being that it is summer it is going to be fairly slow at those type events anyway. Try it for now and hopefully it pays off for you in the fall. If it doesn't they you might not want to do it next year. I have never done a summer booth. Had one in late September last year here in Texas which is still summer. Sold about $600 and the booth rental was $100. Sold more tarts than anything which like you I am primarly a candle person. Seems like the tarts always go over better at anything like that, thanks Scentsy, lol. I am bouncing around an idea to add insect repelling candles and sprays for the summer to see if that goes over.

I wouldn't let some know it all bring you down - you like what you are doing and it sounds like you're also building a customer base, which is ever so important. And, like redraider said, it'll pick up this fall - and you'll be well 'established' there by then!

I agree that if it makes you happy keep it up! I sell at a Farmers Market on Saturdays too. Some Sat. its slow and some really go well. I am building my customer base so I am happy with it. I already have lots of repeat customers. A big plus for me being there is I have already gotten invited to some bigger events later in the year. Had I not been there, I would have missed those opportunities.

Farmers Markets are a great way to get your name out there. So as long as you are not losing money I say stick with it. It will come back to you in the end I get a lot of orders closer to Xmas that really come from the farmers markets I do.

We do 2 regular farmers / craft markets each month, fees are $40 for one and $55 for the other. Both run from about 8:30 am through 1:00 pm and we now regularly do between $500 - $1000 at each depending on the month. Some months are a little more and some a little less. One of these we have been doing for only about 8 months now and it was awesome from the get go. The other we have been attending for the past 3 years and it did start slow until we built up our customer base, so now most of the sale are from existing customers coming back to restock, but still also getting some new customers each month as well.

We are just about to move house, which will put us about a 2 hour drive from both of these markets, however we have deemed that for now they are both worth the drive to continue to do. We have also had a number of party and fund raisers come from both of these markets so they have been very good for us.

Keep up with it for at least 6 months, and if it does not improve you can then make the choise whether you want to continue with it or not. Given the booth fee you are paying, you seem to be doing pretty well, so it will most likely continue to increase over time as people get to know you and your products.

Cheers

Richard

I agree with Vicky_CO, if you're not losing money, stick with it. Even if you're not making a fortune, you're generating capital for the busy season and getting your name out there. It's a win win :) And to the person that made you feel like it wasn't enough....have they ever tried to move a handmade item in a slumping economy? There is no magic number or "magic bullet" so to speak when selling at a show, simply covering your costs is sometimes the best that we can do and I personally get just as excited being a penny in the black as I do $100. :) Best of luck :)

thanks for all your encouragement. this past sat was rather slow mainly bc of weather. I only made 5x Booth but at least i am in the black!! and like you said holiday and fall should improve.

Edited by JI

I think candles can sell any time of the year - especially if you have a unique product and a kickin' display. It helps if you can engage people in conversation.

It's a great time to promote other scented items without a flame you may have in your line (sachets of fresh/dried lavender buds, Dream Pillows, Eye pillows, room sprays, car fresheners, etc.)

I've been doing Farmer's Markets every year for the past 7 years. Its not a regular craft show so I don't count on the same sales wise. But until the craft season starts Farmers Markets are a great way to earn some extra bucks and build up a customer base. These same people will call you back in the winter to order or make a point of looking for you at a local craft fair during craft season.

Farmers Markets are a great venue to work at to meet locals, tourists, town officials, and even local shop owners. You will even get invites to do craft shows, fundraisers, consignments, wholesale, etc. You just never know who is going to show up at the local market.

The sales you referred to sound normal to me. When it gets hotter sales tend to drop off. Closer to craft season and fall sales will pick up again.

Hope you don't stop just because some yokel thinks you should be making more sales. Pffft!!

• 2 weeks later...

I do a local Farmers Market twice a week. Wednesdays are slower, but I look at it all as a marketing venture. I am happy if I sell, and I do have repeat customers. I think if you bring in $100 or more for each show that is good. This is a very slow time of year, and at several of the craft shows I did, other vendors have also said how slow things are. So like others said, if you enjoy it and are not losing money then just keep at it.

Cindy

Hello,

I have been selling at a local weekly farmers market for the past seven months. The fee is low. ($15/"booth"). It runs on Sat from 0900-2 pm. I typically sell 7-9 times my booth rate ($100-$130). I thought that those were good sales numbers, esp. considering summer time!! It's an open air indoor type market but there is no AC. (This is Florida but as long as I'm not totally outside, I'm fine.) I get repeat customers, new ones, etc. The market is small - about 20 other vendors selling everything from soap to cheeses, organic produce, Avon cosmetics, wood carvings, pottery, pampered chef, scentsy (the lady won't even talk to me, even though I mainly sell candles and just a few tarts!!), fresh breads, etc.

Someone (prospective crafter) was asking me about my sales numbers, how I market, etc and I happily told them. I figured it's always good to share information and lessons learned, etc. (I'm still learning so I always love tips). They thought that earning 7-9 times booth fare was incredibly low for a five hour market in the summer time and that it wasn't worth their time - or mine, in their opinion.

I guess I thought it was good. What type of income range/booth fare multiplier do you typically make at farmers markets? Are my expectations too low? I am certain that things will pick up in the fall/winter. It's disconcerting when you think you have a decent thing going and someone just deflates things.

1. It is never a good idea to share your marketing ideas and tips with a 'prospective crafter' you don't know. This is true x 2 when talking about costs and sales. How incredibly rude to even ask!

2. It is never a good idea to let someone else make you feel bad about something you enjoy.

I wish the farmer's markets in our area were decent. In our area, there is only repetitive sellers of cheap perfume, shea butter, counterfeit purses/shoes, cheap clothing and various knives (big hunting, switchblades). Not really my clientele.

Hi Ironrose,

I say......GO GET 'IM!!!!! You are making well above your booth charges and if YOU are happy with it, go after all those customers!!! With Fall and Christmas coming you are well rooted and your sales will skyrocket!! NEVER let the naysayers deflate you....it sounds to me like you are doing pretty darned GREAT !!:yay:

You probalbey already answered my question. I don't have the time right now to read. I have always wanted to do the farmers market thing to sell my candles but, I live in Oklahoma and It gets hot so fast here I was curious do your candles melt ? At the market I mean.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your awesome words of encouragement. You are all so supportive.

Fl is ridiculously hot and humid. The farmers market is an "open air" indoor market. We do have a roof, but it is wide open on both sides. So the temp in our market in my opinion is about 90 degrees since we are in the shade. I switched over to GB444 wax because it melts less easily in the heat than GB464. I personally found no difference in performance. Some of the candles do have a little "sweat" on top but they don't melt, per se. I think if I were outdoors in the sun it would be terrible. Not to mention my candles turning yellow. I think if I were really purely outside I'd invest in a really good tent with canvas sides that come down to limit UV. We have such high UV indexes here in Fl.

I do also carry tarts (melts) in 1/4 pound packages. Some customers have been buying them because they don't want to see a flame when it is so hot outside.

Edited by JI