New Yankee Man Candle line of frangrances. Interesting.

The men's market segment is one of the fastest growing right now, while the women's segment has still not recovered from 2008.

Maybe their marketing team took a hint from "ManCans" which got a LOT of press.

Can't blame them and don't be surprised to see us doing a line here very soon too LOL

Hey, when the train arrives you gotta jump aboard or watch it ride on by, right? =)

So.. let's be smart here and try and work them out because as Horse said, you know YC wouldn't be doing it if they couldn't sell alot.

Riding Mower = Fresh Cut Grass

2 x 4 = Some type of wood scent (duh)

First Down = Leather or something close to it

Man Town = Hard to say but the description says "Escape to the man cave with this masculine blend of spices, woods and musk." So I'm thinking on the lines of Patchouli, or Dragons Blood and blending with a musk type scent....

Just remember, don't use those names they are... I saw that little old TM mark be all of them.... So Riding Mower Type??? LOL

I think the popularity of these candles is based upon purchases by women as gifts for men and what they think men would like. My male customers buy the same scents as my female customers.

Edited by deb426

Always puzzles me why candles are thought to be exclusively a "woman" thing.

Men have noses too!

Why do women wear "pretty" perfume?

You don't see US wearing cow pat fragrance to lure the outdoorsy hard working cowboy types in.

Edited by Desertrose

Just finished watching a piece on Good Morning America about the Yankee man candles. Laura Spencer mentioned all the scents, and had one of each that she passed around to George, Robin, and Josh. None of them looked pleased with the scents, and Josh said they should have left the tops on!!!!:laugh2:The only one they seemed to like at all was the one that smelled like fresh cut grass.

I have men look at, smell, and buy my candles all the time. They are a big part of my target audience so I always have something for them. I just don't market them specifically as "man" candles. Men love scents like lavender, patchouli, cinnamon, sandalwood, and a whole lot more. As long as you have a good selection and variety of candle scents you will sell to a lot of men as well.

My gut feeling is if you market a line of "man" candles you won't sell as many as if you just use your regular labels. I don't think most men would care for some of the goofy names and "man candles" sounds kind of goofy to me. It may work as a gag gift but that doesn't always equate to big sales.

Being a guy myself I have a lot of scents in my candles that appeal to me, some are sort of similar to the yankee man candles, though fresh cut grass has never been a big seller for me. One of the scents I blended that has been the most popular with men (and women buying for men) is one I call "gentleman's study" that is a blend of pipe tobacco, leather, and a touch of cedarwood.

Overall I thought the yankee man themed candles were a little bland for what they could have launched with.

I have men look at, smell, and buy my candles all the time. They are a big part of my target audience so I always have something for them. I just don't market them specifically as "man" candles. Men love scents like lavender, patchouli, cinnamon, sandalwood, and a whole lot more. As long as you have a good selection and variety of candle scents you will sell to a lot of men as well.

My gut feeling is if you market a line of "man" candles you won't sell as many as if you just use your regular labels. I don't think most men would care for some of the goofy names and "man candles" sounds kind of goofy to me. It may work as a gag gift but that doesn't always equate to big sales.

I think you're right, because when I was asking men what their favorite scented candle scents were, they got very excited about scents like blueberry and Christmas and the usual scents everybody likes.

I saw them yesterday in a store in CT and I didn't think any of them smelled great...probably the best was the cologne type but I don't recall the name. That touchdown one with the football smelled awful...the grass one wasn't very strong nor was the lumber one....