Curing soap

Candybee

What is the best way to store curing soap? I have mine sitting on wax paper on metal shelves. I also covered them lightly with a sheet of wax paper over the top. My thinking is I don't want different soaps next to each other to "take on" another scent. Plus I don't want dust to dirty the soap.

Does covering them with a sheet of wax paper keep them from drying out naturally?

I store mine in the open on bamboo shelves in our guest bedroom for about a month and then place them in plastic storage bins so they don't lose their fragrance or get dirty. Turn them about once a week so they won't warp and place on paper towels in a storage bin and forget about them. I label my bins so I can remember what kinds of soap are stored. HYH

Steve

I found a large bakers rack at a yard sale and I line the metal racks with squares of plastic canvas and place the soap on them to cure. The holes in the plastic canvas allow the air to circulate.

I store mine in boxes. Last time I stored in plastic containers I had to pitch them all out. The containers were like a sweat box inside and they all went rancid.

I read somewhere that you should store them in boxes instead of seal tight plastic. The soap needs to "breathe". I think I'm gonna look for some shoe boxes.

Mine weren't air tight either. I know some people use baseball card boxes, I would like to get some of those. I found some bars from over 4 years ago in open plastics bags and thought for sure they were bad and the scent just blew me away when I opened them and they had canola and soy in them. Can't figure that one out, but they still smelled good lol.

Jackie

I think they mean don't store in air tight containers. Boxes with lids are different because they aren't air tight. Or you can always poke a hole or two in it. I think lidded boxes would be good to keep your soap fresh and from getting dirty/dusty.

Edited by Candybee