What is a salt bar?

tlc

Salt bars have salt added to the bars of cold process soap (at least that's how I do mine never could get hp to turn out as good as my cp) I would call them kind of an exfoliating/moisturizing bar. I'm sure someone else can describe them better lol

I made some once & absoluetly loved them only thing I didn't/don't like is mine never looked like smooth/semi smooth bars. When I cut them they were kind of rough looking. The pics I have seen didn't look rough they looked smooth lol

Edited by ladysj

Salt bars usually contain equal parts (or slightly less) of salt to oils. They have a wonderful soft, creamy lather. Because of the salt, they set up super hard quickly, so one has to cut them very early or they can look rough as ladysj mentioned. I make mine in individual molds to avoid having to cut them. If you've never made these, hunt up a formula and try them!

Actually they aren't really an exfoliating bar in the sense that say jojoba beads or other products are. The soap tends to work great on sloughing off those elephant elbows and have a way of soothing the skin. Salt has a way of healing and rejuvenating the skin. Salt is something that draws toxins from the body.

I saw the thread with the pictures on salt bars and had to look them up myself...:embarasse

Would these be good for acne then? Jewls is that what you are referring to when you say your son says it is what keeps his face clear?

My son (16) just got done with his first round of acutane:tiptoe: It took me awhile to agree to it but there was nothing else we could do... he had bad nodule acne to where he had to go on such a high dose to even begin touching it- thankfully he did not have the side effects and all his blood work came in normal every month but what he is afraid of now is that it will come back and with a vengenance- his face is baby bottom smooth now

No over the counter products work for him and he has to wait several months IF it does come back to treat again, so I have been trying to find something that can help keep it at bay

Salt bars are made through cold process only and not hot process? Can they be made with melt and pour?

I do have some elephant skin that could use some sloughing help ;)

Yes they can be made with M&P however the salt tends to settle to the bottom but if you pour fairly cool or pour in layers, the salt can be distributed better - ya just have to practice a little to get the results you want.

Sugar and/or salt scrubs are great for sloughing.

Sugar and/or salt scrubs are great for sloughing.

You can do sugar too? Wow.

It seems that melt and pour is pretty versatile then for a newbie like me. Now I need to find some soap molds. I have bought them as gifts for my family but never for me.

You can do sugar too? Wow.

It seems that melt and pour is pretty versatile then for a newbie like me. Now I need to find some soap molds. I have bought them as gifts for my family but never for me.

tlc: I didn't mean put sugar in the M&P but that a separate sugar scrubs will help get rid of that dry skin. I use sugar scrubs after showering & rinse well after rubbing those problem areas with the scrub.

But..if you use a course sugar, I don't see why you couldn't put it in M&P - it's easy enough to make a small tester bar.

Awesome! That just made my day.

Have been watching this thread because they sounded so wonderful but not doing CP just yet.

I've got an order of GM CP Rebatch base on the way from BB - plan on trying to make a salt bar with some of it.

From Candybee's post in PA's thread - on page 2:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?80353-Melt-and-Pour-Soap-Additive-List!/page2

Turbinado Sugar - up to 1 tbs per lb

Turbinado is the natural sugar you find in most health food stores. I even find it in the grocers as well. I use it create a sugar scrub soap. Because of its natural light brown color you will want to make soaps that compliment that. Be careful not to add too much sugar as it compromises the lather.

Edited by Pam W

There is some talk that salt bars help with acne. It lessens it to a degree, but I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to what a good dermatologist might tell you. I haven't found that salt bars clear up acne, just lessen the outbreak somewhat, but it could be anything else that attributed to those moments too, like my diet and amount of exercise etc. at the time.

I bought my first salt bar from a fellow soaper at a local craft show. They are very nice to use but this one was rather chunky cut and looked like it was broken off from the main soap block. I kind of like the rough chunky look but also like the smooth well cut bars too.

I am dying to try making my first batch of salt bars but want a good FO to go with. I was just looking at Southern Soapers site (since they are reopening -- Yay!) and she has a FO called Sea Salt Spa. The description sounds awesome and perfect for a batch of salt bars. I must have this! LOL

Edited by Candybee

BTW-- many have tried making salt bars with M&P and the bars get soft and fall apart after a few days. The only success I have heard about making salt bars with M&P is to use the CP base. I think Bramble Berry carries that base.

I've got an experimental CP/M&P salt bar cooling in the mold. Melted 2 oz of M&P, added 2 oz of shreaded CP and a whole bunch of salt. The melted M&P gave just enough liquidity to the CP shreads to mix in the salt and poured easily into the mold.

...give me an hr & I'll let you know how it turns out :-}

Sounds awesome.

Pam-- there is a thread on another soaping forum with a recipe someone used to make the most gorgeous salt bars with the CP M&P base. If I can find it I will post.. but its about 1-2 yrs old and not sure which forum its on.... But I will try to look it up. Its definitely worth saving. There were pictures too.

Okay-- found the thread and posted the link in the M&P section in case anyone is interested.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks for posting the link = read thru it all. I don't have any FBB on hand butadded salt to the melted CP rebatch base and it turned out ok except the lather did decrease a bit. When my order of more CP base comes in, I'm also getting a gal of liquid soap base so I may try adding some of it hoping it will bump the lather back up.

I know for me it works great with breakouts, but I don't get them much anymore since going off dairy which has been amazing. I tried to hp them one time and it was a disaster, but I plan on trying it again. Sometimes I add too much salt and they don't lather hardly so I use them like a pumice stone in the shower. I need to try rebatching or add them to a new batch to see how they do.

Edited by soycrazy