Best way to cut a loaf of soap?

classiccandle

I'm the world's worst at trying to cut something straight, like a loaf of soap. I would start out at one inch thick at the top and by the time I got all the way through the loaf it would be an inch and a half thick at the bottom. Is there something short of investing in a loaf cutter than can be used? I'm just starting out making soap (mainly m&p) and don't want to invest in an expensive soap cutter just yet.

Thanks!

i use a bread slicer and a good knife. it's what i had and it has worked for a long long time. this is the first one amazon had in the listing. i cannot imagine it really matters a great deal which one i use.

http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Pal-Slicer-compact-storage/dp/B005YCKRMU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329791674&sr=8-2

ftr, you see them all the time, at least around here, in the second hand stores. i bought mine for 3 dollars or so.

Edited by iansmommaya

I'm glad you started this thread. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now on a good soap cutting system. I might just try a mitre box from the hardware store.

Question for Nat (or anyone who can answer this)-- what is the cutting tool pictured? Is that a spackling knife?

Go to the tools area for drywall and wallpaper at the hardware store or Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. - I know it as a drywall taping knife.

yep, I got mine from one of those places as well.

Also, there is another tool you can use with the mitre box, although it goes in a bit tighter then taping knife. It is pastry scraper/chopper (like OXO good Grips or whatever). I'm not sure which tool will be cheaper though, it's been a while.