Credit Card Number Stolen again.....

USPS and NG is the only two that I see I am having in common with others. Weird.. Lets keep it going in hopes to find the culprit bad website.

FunkyMonkey- THAT SUCKS and thank you for letting us know about them. I will remember this and boycott from sending flowers though them.

My paypal debit card was hacked today. 2 charges for $1 to some premium rewards thing. I cancelled the card so hopefully they don't go through since I don't have a lot in my account and I don't want it coming out of my checking account.

Interesting thread... didn't the same thing happen at this same time last year? I've never had a card hacked... and I've used just about every supplier listed on the board over the past 6 months to a year...without a hiccup.

Unfortuantely Funky that is the policy not only at FTD but at most stores. All privacy information is with held. My neighbor had a major card breach a few years back, she contacted the local police department for theft, from there it went state then to the FBI because the sale occured over state lines. You might want to start with your local police department who can give you more information. HTH's.

I am loathe to name businesses unless I have proof the info was stolen from them. There are so many ways to intercept or gain CC information besides a supplier's website... One's own computer can be quietly providing information - have you had your computer professionally scanned? Your card could have been scanned while you walked through a crowd recently. Some card issuers seem more prone to hacking than others. If the problem is interstate, the FBI could be contacted, but I do not know what dollar amount piques their interest...

Most suppliers accept fax orders and payments over the phone. Many still accept checks. If you enjoy the convenience of card purchasing, it seems wise to have a prepaid card used only for purchases with only the amount of purchases deposited into it. One could also consider setting up an account with suppliers and paying by check via the US mail.

As I stated way back in the thread, that I only use prepaid debit cards that are loaded with very close to the exact amount I will be needing to use... I don't think I have ever been so glad I moved to an area where there is a reputable supplier 40 minutes away that carrys what I need. Sure, I will still buy from CS, always no matter what, but..if I have to, I'll take a two day vaca and drive over there and get what I need !

Reading all these posts... I absolutely HATE this for each of you :( :( :( It scares me how much this is happening, how widespread, and how easy it seems to be to get hacked and have little recourse in some instances.

I am loathe to name businesses unless I have proof the info was stolen from them. There are so many ways to intercept or gain CC information besides a supplier's website... One's own computer can be quietly providing information - have you had your computer professionally scanned? Your card could have been scanned while you walked through a crowd recently. Some card issuers seem more prone to hacking than others. If the problem is interstate, the FBI could be contacted, but I do not know what dollar amount piques their interest...

Most suppliers accept fax orders and payments over the phone. Many still accept checks. If you enjoy the convenience of card purchasing, it seems wise to have a prepaid card used only for purchases with only the amount of purchases deposited into it. One could also consider setting up an account with suppliers and paying by check via the US mail.

Although I am sure it possible that all 5 of my computers have a trojan that's harvesting my cc #'s or someone at Wegmans or Walmart used a fancy credit card reader through the back of my jeans to steal my card info. It's very possible that any or all of us over the years were hacked that way. I think it's more than likely it was a supplier. Which one, I really can't say.

I have to agree with funkymonkey on this one....my computer has all kinds of virus, anti-theft protection. I also shop online using more than 1 credit card from the same computer but the only cc that get's hacked is the one for my business. The difference being the places I shop using my business card are typically candle suppliers, shipping and an occasional unique supplier. I also shop alot on amazon using both cc cards so I can safely say I don't feel the problem is a result of amazon.

I mentioned this on another thread earlier. It might behoove you guys to find a keylogger removeal tool and check to see if by some chance a keylogger program has been dumped on your computers via an email or attachment. It's not quite the same thing as a virus and it can't be removed by most anti virus programs, they don't check for them on a whole. Some do but most don't.

A keylogger is a program that will deeply embed itself into your reg and all sorts of interesting places on your hard drive and memory, and the person who loaded it onto your computer, can literally open the program on their end.. and see every single keystroke you make... EVERY keystroke. Some have the ability to see "clicks" of your mouse.

Just something you might want to look into. I know of one instance when I worked for Dell, we tracked one back to its source, that had ran through 130something different emails before it landed on the computer we were trying to fix. They sent it to someone, it loaded.. that person sent a perfectly innocent email to someone else later on, and it transferred over.. this went on and on and on.

Food for thought maybe ?

Interesting info Blacktieaffair. I was a victim last year but have not been stung since. I used a CC anonymizer service the couple times I ordered from the company I feel was the problem location but kinda quit using them since then. I will use the service again if I go back there. I don't know how you would ever be really safe. I had my AE # stolen from a UHaul place in Dallas on a work trip where I rented. The employee used the hard copy and had everything he needed to rack up a lot of charges while I was on a vaca. Thank God AE caught it and held the orders until they heard back from me - he was going for big ticket stuff.

Thought I'd share this in the event any of you have ordered anything from Zappos. They had a story on the news here yesterday that 24 million people had their info hacked when zappos was cyber attacked. Names, physical addresses, emails, phone numbers and last 4 digits of cc's were hacked. These cyber losers need to get a life, job or something and stop stealing from people. Who knows who else will be affected by this if any of you have bought anything through zappos.

I have had both of my credit cards stolen from online sources. I also had a $1 charge from an ISP. This is the standard method many CC jackers to (according to my bank). they are checking to see if your card is active stays open before they try a larger amount. In the last two months, I have added my CC's to many companies and I cannot narrow it down. One shocking thing is that someone in NY (i'm in CA) was able to use my card as if they had it in hand?? After talking to the bank this is very common, they have a CC machine that makes your CC as if they stole it from you. I didn't know someone could do this. My CC was still in hand yet charged hundreds of $$ at Bloomingdales in NY?? This stuff scares me!

~Russell

www.orangecoastcandles.com

Edited by OCcandles

Just happened to me on Jan. 10th. 1st charge was for $1.00 to Google, then twice on walmart.com & once to Office Depot.

I just got hit too last week. On Walmart.com. For over $700. I caught it the next day. I've never purchased anything from Walmart.com. :mad::mad::mad:

just an fyi....i am on the phone with amazon as we speak. I opened my credit card statement today and there are several charges from amazon on my card and I've not purchased anything from them in months. so it is possible that this issue could be amazon related. seems alot of us use amazon.

This is the first time I've had issues with my card...and I've not ordered from any suppliers in months either.

just an fyi....i am on the phone with amazon as we speak. I opened my credit card statement today and there are several charges from amazon on my card and I've not purchased anything from them in months. so it is possible that this issue could be amazon related. seems alot of us use amazon.

This is the first time I've had issues with my card...and I've not ordered from any suppliers in months either.

I tried to make a purchase with Amazon a few years ago, they emailed me an information form to fill out that requested very personal information that sounded a little strange to me. I called them and was told that they need that information before they could process the order, really! They wanted me to email them a copy of my credit card, front and back along with a copy of my driver's license. Well after hearing that I think I taught the operator some new words, I canceled my order and refuse to buy anything from them ever again.

There is no reason for any internet based company to request copies of your CC and especially your driver's license and I would advise you to be careful when purchasing from them.

I tried to make a purchase with Amazon a few years ago, they emailed me an information form to fill out that requested very personal information that sounded a little strange to me. I called them and was told that they need that information before they could process the order, really! They wanted me to email them a copy of my credit card, front and back along with a copy of my driver's license. Well after hearing that I think I taught the operator some new words, I canceled my order and refuse to buy anything from them ever again.

There is no reason for any internet based company to request copies of your CC and especially your driver's license and I would advise you to be careful when purchasing from them.

Were you applying for a credit card or trying to make a purchase? I've never had them ask me for anything when purchasing from them (Amazon) online. Haven't ever had anyone do that actually. I definitely think something was wrong there.

I had some stuff go on with my CC early January. The only two purchases I made before that were the end of December at Amazon and another somewhere else using PayPal. I felt the problem stemmed from there when it happened. Still do.

Edited by jeanie353

Were you applying for a credit card or trying to make a purchase? I've never had them ask me for anything when purchasing from them (Amazon) online. Haven't ever had anyone do that actually. I definitely think something was wrong there.

I had some stuff go on with my CC early January. The only two purchases I made before that were the end of December at Amazon and another somewhere else using PayPal. I felt the problem stemmed from there when it happened. Still do.

No, I wasn't applying for a CC, it was simply a purchase. I felt something wasn't right and maybe someone was trying to run a scam which is why I called them but they confirmed the email and told me that without sending them copies of my CC / DL they would not process the order. I had that happen with another website that deals with RC cars but when I called them they said that in lieu of sending copies they could ping my account with a small charge and I could tell them how much the charge was, then that would confirm that I am who I say I am. Amazon would not do that and insisted I send copies of my CC and DL. No way! Never going to happen! I use my cards all over the world and sometimes in countries that specialize in CC theft and have never had any trouble but the "All Mighty Amazon" wouldn't do it. Sounds to me like one of their employees is collecting information either to sell or use for themselves to make unlawful pruchases.

The bank card was used only at a supplier here in Ohio, Paypal & a chinese restaurant in St. Pete.

I called the bank and they closed the card, called the police and filed a report, then called Walmart and they told me the charge was for a pickup at a Walmart store in WI. I'm in FL. They put a block on that account, (that's all they could legally tell me) and I'm waiting for the money to be returned to my bank account, which should be by today.

I heard back from Amazon...this is the email. So someone with an amazon account used my card. Be VERY careful everyone. This could be the culprit maybe???

My credit card company closed my card and is re issuing a new one.

Thank you for contacting us at Amazon.com.

I have investigated the charges made to your credit card and confirmed that they were the result of the unauthorized use of your credit card number. We have closed the Amazon.com account through which the unauthorized purchases were made.

Please contact the bank that issued your credit card and report the charges as unauthorized. We recommend that you have this card canceled and reissued to prevent any future unauthorized use. We also encourage you to report the crime to your local law enforcement officials.

To receive a refund, you will need to contact the bank that issued your credit card. The bank will send paperwork for you to sign to verify any unauthorized charges. Your bank will then pass the appropriate paperwork on to us.

Although we are not permitted to provide you with any further details about the unauthorized charge to your card, we will gladly cooperate with your bank or local law enforcement, should they contact us.

It may be helpful for you to know that under U.S. banking regulations (Regulation Z - the Truth in Lending Act), in most cases, you have the right to withhold the unauthorized charges from payments to your bank until the matter is resolved. In addition, your bank must resolve the matter within 90 days of being notified of unauthorized charges.

Again, thank you for contacting us at Amazon.com.

No, I wasn't applying for a CC, it was simply a purchase. I felt something wasn't right and maybe someone was trying to run a scam which is why I called them but they confirmed the email and told me that without sending them copies of my CC / DL they would not process the order. I had that happen with another website that deals with RC cars but when I called them they said that in lieu of sending copies they could ping my account with a small charge and I could tell them how much the charge was, then that would confirm that I am who I say I am

Yep, I agree. Something was very wrong there and you were very possibly being set up for a fraud situation. A small charge to ping the CC is fairly common. That is where we see the $1.00 charges before the actual charges are put through.

On the other hand, when we get our CC bills and see pings more times than we ordered or pings from places we didn't order is where we may be able to trace some of the fraudulent charges so many of us have experienced back to.

In my case it was Amazon. I'm not saying it was Amazon itself but due to the amount of sellers using the site...some of which are dishonest is where the problem lies IMO. I have had it happen with the pirated DVD series. Many places on Amazon are safe. I do order from there a lot but realized to follow the link back to the website of the seller to be sure they have a good history and are a real storefront. That's the best I can do to try to protect myself in the future.

Yep, I agree. Something was very wrong there and you were very possibly being set up for a fraud situation. A small charge to ping the CC is fairly common. That is where we see the $1.00 charges before the actual charges are put through.

On the other hand, when we get our CC bills and see pings more times than we ordered or pings from places we didn't order is where we may be able to trace some of the fraudulent charges so many of us have experienced back to.

If a company pings your account to verify identity then they will reverse the charges as soon as they are done. Those transactions should not appear on your CC statement and I have never seen any company ping my or anyone I know account with $1.00 exactly, it is usually less, something very unique (I think the last time it was .72 cents).

If a company pings your account to verify identity then they will reverse the charges as soon as they are done. Those transactions should not appear on your CC statement and I have never seen any company ping my or anyone I know account with $1.00 exactly, it is usually less, something very unique (I think the last time it was .72 cents).

I do get them for $1.00. They do get credited back but show up on the statement as a debit, followed up by a credit. When I use PayPal and have to verify a new CC they use the odd numbers.

Maybe its because while I do a lot of online shopping it is mainly the same places? Dunno. I have had some $1.00 Google charges that were not mine, reported them and the CC company reversed them.