Cans?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cans are often coated with plastic stuff to prevent oxidation. I sure wouldn't want that burning in my home!

If someone is going to make container candles, they should use containers manufactured for that purpose. Safety trumps environmentalism. The pollution created from one house fire negates the environmental savings of many, many "recycled" containers.

We use cans that we recycle and grubby ourselves. They are probably one of our best selling lines, but a load of work goes into them though. Don't have picture handy, but can be viewed on our website under the unique items category if you are interested.

Cheers

Richard

I don't think they use new cans. There was a thing going on a little while ago where they were selling so many they didn't have any place to give the soup to and they couldn't legally freeze it to use later (because of commercial kitchen guidelines I believe) so they were attempting to find a solution to that, and last I heard they did. As for cans I think there would be a bit of residual smell/food unless you anneal them (bring them up to red hot and then back down) That should burn it all off. Not worth it though, a jar costs like 1.50 and is recyclable. Green enough for me.

Not all cans have the BPA coating on the inside. There are specialty can openers that don't leave a sharp edge. Washing the cans with warm soapy water then letting them sit alleviates food smells. I "rusty and grubby" my own cans (we go through a lot of canned goods in this house) and use them for rustic country candles. I don't sell them yet because prim isn't real big around here, but have considered taking a few to local antique stores to see if they'd be interested.

I have used cans. I have aged the cans myself using different techniques. It is a good way to recycle if you have time, I used cans from vegetables fruit etc. I made the cans look rusty and aged. I also have used actual rusty cans. I only like the old and grungy look to go with antiques and the early primitive look.

I have probably poured at least a hundred or so and never had a sharp edge, use common sense and the right can opener and there will not be a sharp edge to deal with. As for smell, a can can be washed in hot soapy water and not have any residue or smell left. This does work and also I never used a can with any coating on the inside, only a tin can. They are extremely popular in areas where primitives are in demand. I live in southeastern Indiana and it has been in demand here for a long time and is more in demand now than it was even 10 years ago. I had several antiques shops and they always sold in my shops.

Sure, you can pour wax into a bucket, stick a piece of twine in it and VOILA!! A Candle! You can put beef tallow into a can, stick a twisted rag into it and VOILA! A Candle! We used to use two wires hooked up to a blade switch with a piece of leather tab to turn the lights on and off, too. It was common sense how to use them... wonder why they are outlawed today?

If it was good enough for great gramma, it's good enough for me, right? WRONG!! We have learned how to make better products that are safer and more reliable and there are laws which compel us to do so. Even when no specific laws are in place, we are civilly liable for our products as manufacturers.

The general public will buy anything, especially people going for a particular "look" who have no concept of product safety. If one of those rusty tin cans causes a house fire or injury, I PROMISE you the lawyer, judge and jury won't buy your extensive research into oxidation as due diligence for candle safety product testing. I hope you have plenty of product liability insurance.

This is exactly the kind of product that gives home candlemakers a bad name.

probably poured at least a hundred or so

That does not sound like due diligence in testing to me.

If you choose to make a candle like this for your pwn personal use, that's your business; but giving it away or selling it requires more responsibility in manufacturing than I am reading here. While you may have only poured a hundred of these candles, you ARE considered a manufacturer under the law and you ARE liable for product safety.

I don't want to discourage your interest in candlemaking, but I do want to strongly encourage you to make safe high quality candle products. I hope you will READ here and learn how to make candle products that meet ASTM guidelines for safety and that you find containers to use that are new. You can still distress them and oxidize them.

Washing the cans with warm soapy water then letting them sit alleviates food smells.
This makes me shudder... How much bacteria was left behind in the recesses of the can that are INVISIBLE without a microscope? There is a REASON we do not reuse cans for manufacturing purposes!!! Edited by Stella1952

We don't use cans that have the plastic coating on the inside. Running them through the dishwasher works just fine to remove any food traces. (We eat off our plates that we wash in the dishwasher)

I would never reuse a can for food products but this is a candle which will be burned. I would imagine that you're far more likely to encounter microscopic bacteria from a food counter in a store making and selling sandwiches to the public than the risk of being harmed from a candle in a thoroughly washed tin container.

For us the value of being able to recycle something far outweighs the minuscule risk in this particular case.

I have more concerns about the glassware we buy - quality control, etc.

Sorry Stella, I usually agree with most of what you say but not in this case.

Edited by Desertrose

A simple bleach solution would kill off and bacteria but it the can was wash immediately after the food left the can, there should not be too many bacteria there. Ditto on the non-sharp edges, there are can openers which do this.

Not something I would personally use as a container but it appeals to some so I won't knock it.

Whatever, Stella. How is a can any more unsafe than a jar? Or a pillar/votive? As for bacteria, WTF? Are you licking the thing? A candlemaker handling their glassware with dirty hands can impart bacteria to a candle, too. Any idea what resides under your fingernails?

I know I take the same care with candles poured in cans as I do with those poured in jars. They are tested for proper wicking etc. Your comments about wax in a bucket or tallow with a rag in it being called a candle, and unsafe antique switches make no sense in regard to this thread. If I were pouring candles in plastic or Dixie cups, yeah, then I'd be a moron, but in a non flammable container? FYI:

*Clean unused cans may be purchased online.

*A sanitizing solution called Bee Bright can be purchased from any store that sells home brew supplies.

I'm not quite getting why this may not be safe. Is it b/c there is a seam on some food cans? The least of my concerns is bacteria inside the empty food cans. The wax is getting burned up not eaten.

I'm wondering why making candles in soup containers is all that much different than using the metal travel tins. Or why is it less safe, I guess is what I'm trying to figure out. If the travel tins can be oxidized (which I don't know) why would one be different from the other? I guess I don't see how oxidation can be unsafe either way.

I've never used either.....just curious b/c I do like the look of the rustic cans.

Metal conducts heat more readily than does glass. Cans are taller than they are wide, so the combination makes them heat up far more than a comparable sized glass container. Travel tins are a good example of this. Even a short, squat tin will heat up far more during the same length burn period than the same sized glass container.

An alternative (safer and more visually pleasing) use of recycled cans would be oxidized, distressed punched luminaries with a tealight or glass votive inside. I have purchased and made both projects and the punched luminary is far safer.

Edited by Stella1952

Metal conducts heat more readily than does glass. Cans are taller than they are wide, so the combination makes them heat up far more than a comparable sized glass container. Travel tins are a good example of this. Even a short, squat tin will heat up far more during the same length burn period than the same sized glass container.

An alternative (safer and more visually pleasing) use of recycled cans would be oxidized, distressed punched luminaries with a tealight or glass votive inside. I have purchased and made both projects and the punched luminary is far safer.

That much I've heard and read about the travel containers. They do get hot. However, they must be safe enough since they are being sold to chandlers who many do use. I plan on someday adding them to my line but just haven't been able to get that far yet. I was also questioning the oxidation technique somewhat since that came up as to being unsafe.

I think the recycled cans are very pleasing visually but my opinion on that doesn't matter. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by jeanie353
spelling

I don't think oxidizing the outside would be problematic... if the inside were oxidized I can see where it might cause some issues with the fatty acids in natural waxes... ie. rust in the wax. I have seen some tins that suffered from this.

However, they must be safe enough since they are being sold to chandlers who many do use.
While tins are very popular and I make them myself, they really require extra care with wicking and especially when burning. Metal just isn't my favorite choice of "no-brainer" material for container candles. Customers have to pay attention to the warnings and obey the burn time instructions or they will have a candle that's too hot to handle and which will become hot enough to mar furniture if not placed on a fireproof surface. They do have a minor reputation for occasionally catching on fire (because they are either overwicked or the customer ignores the burn time warning) even when manufactured carefully by seasoned chandlers. In most cases of fire, the problem occurs during the last half of the candle when temps heat up and customers don't pay attention.

I deliberately underwick mine for this reason. It's a PITA that folks ignore warnings & instructions, but it is a fact of life. While I assume no responsibility for their actions, I would still hate like hell for someone to damage property, have a fire or suffer injury because they were foolish enough to burn one of my tins past the common sense time limit on the instructions.

I think the recycled cans are very pleasing visually but my opinion on that doesn't matter. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

When I have a choice between different products to make, I always pick the safer of the choices. I never forget that my product contains an open flame for home use. Candles are the culprit in a huge number of home fires every year. Usually it is because the customer failed to heed the common sense warnings about burning candles, but some are badly manufactured.

Safety is a large issue driving the new trend toward flameless wax products, such as tarts & melts and electric candles. Many customers are so concerned about fire safety that they will not have a candle in their home. By doing OUR part in being very careful and conscientious about how our products are engineered for safety, we can preserve the candle market for the future.

Only a fraction of the bad candle products on the market ever reach the attention of the CPSC for a recall. Most people who have problems (overheating, etc.) just throw away the candles and do not report the incidents, which is a shame because it prevents us from knowing exactly how many bad products are out there. I hope that anyone who has a problem with any kind of candle will report the incident to the CPSC on their website http://www.cpsc.gov/ . Reports are taken seriously and the manufacturers are contacted for voluntary (or mandatory) recalls. By doing our own voluntary safety due diligence, we can hopefully avoid mandatory regulations being placed on our industry.

Edited by Stella1952

I'm not quite getting why this may not be safe. Is it b/c there is a seam on some food cans? The least of my concerns is bacteria inside the empty food cans. The wax is getting burned up not eaten.

I'm wondering why making candles in soup containers is all that much different than using the metal travel tins. Or why is it less safe, I guess is what I'm trying to figure out. If the travel tins can be oxidized (which I don't know) why would one be different from the other? I guess I don't see how oxidation can be unsafe either way.

I've never used either.....just curious b/c I do like the look of the rustic cans.

It's not much different than travel tins. Some folks just gotta put in their .02. And if it happens to be a concept they don't embrace feel the need to crap all over it.

Edited by Faerywren