When a Big Company allows QUALITY to go to hell!

dcroome2005

I dont know what it did but it is a holiday scent- forget which one .. I guess Kohl's didnt check all the candles to make sure they looked good enough to put out on the table. I looked at the others and they didnt look like this but a lot of them had wicks that were not centered.

Is it me or does it look like Yankee uses a non container wax for their container candles? I just have never seen to be as smooth as all the jars I have purchased from candlemakers or myself. It almost looks like a molting votive/pillar wax to me.

Maybe this is why they dont always burn correctly and leave wax all over the jars!

Yeah YC does use a harder wax for their containers but its part of their trademark look. Very few candle companies do a mottled container wax. I do think it is container wax though, it does adhere well to the jar and when I "play" with it (I do candle trade-ins) it does hold up to molding, but it doesn't have that pillar 'feel'

Yeah YC does use a harder wax for their containers but its part of their trademark look. Very few candle companies do a mottled container wax. I do think it is container wax though, it does adhere well to the jar and when I "play" with it (I do candle trade-ins) it does hold up to molding, but it doesn't have that pillar 'feel'

Ahhh that makes sense. I always wondered about their wax. Thanks for info :)

Not if there's turkey and dressing to go with it LOL

Seriously, though, what store would put out merchandise that is OBVIOUSLY messed up like that... unless it was on clearance or something... Kohl's should be doing a better job with their merchandise displays!!

I would be so humiliated to have my name on something that looked like that which was being offered up for sale... I wonder if they have a rep or something who is supposed to service their displays?

Not if there's turkey and dressing to go with it LOL

Seriously, though, what store would put out merchandise that is OBVIOUSLY messed up like that... unless it was on clearance or something... Kohl's should be doing a better job with their merchandise displays!!

Why should Kohl's even worry about the appearance when people keep buying the stuff?

Why should Kohl's even worry about the appearance when people keep buying the stuff?

Ummm, because they have standards, maybe? Winn Dixie removes its rotten veggies even though some people might still buy them... Other businesses remove shopworn items or put them on clearance...

I agree that people should be more discerning about their purchases, but I don't think stores should offer trash to their customers either... I don't have a Kohl's in my town (but I DO have a Kohl kitty at home LOL), but after seeing this, I wouldn't be in a rush to shop there...

Kohl's employees and buyers are nothing but consumers. They don't know any more about a good candle or centered wick than the average joe. If people keep buying crap, Kohl's will keep stocking it. Simple supply and demand.

I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at a candle in a store. They don't worry me.

Mass produced items from an assembly line are only as good as the quality control inspector at the end of the line. Looks like there is either no quality control or the inspector didn't catch this one.

Us hand crafters, on the other hand, get to really look at our final products and correct any imperfections either by fixing/reworking or tossing them.

Kohl's is too big a company to worry about inspection. I'm sure their contract with their manufacturers has a quality standard ... but they aren't going to waste their employees time opening and looking at every candle. There are too many higher priced goods they need to tend too. Although candles may be the center of our attention because we have pride in what we make, I'm sure candles are a very small line item in any of the major retailers profit statements.

"Buy Quality ... Purchase Hand-Made!"

Looks like Mr. Magoo is handling the wicking dept at Yankee!

I doubt the wax settling looked like that after it left the factory. Looks like the wax settled, shrunk, or was involved in temp changes that messed up the top. Happened a lot to me when I used to make paraffin candles. Always had to check them periodically and heat gun the tops smoothe again. However, there is no excuse for the uncentered wick.

I saw some in Target, that looked like a soy blend, but the wick was way off center too. But they looked like that's how they were poured. The wax was level. It just looked like maybe their machine was putting the wicks in wrong, and there was no quality control checking. It was the same jar and lid, but it was labeled as soy.

• 2 months later...