Is This A Scam?

lsbennis

I got this email from my website the other day....

Name: Mr, Rudd

Email: Square_Olle@hotmail.com

Comments: Hello there,

"I want to buy some PRODUCTS from your company to my new store in Australia, I would like to know if you accept credit card and ship internationally as I have got new shops opening another part of the world.So please let me know if you can assist me with the order I will await your prompt response as soon as you receive this mail,I will be very glad if you treat this email with good concern.

You can reply back to Square_Olle at hotmail.com"

Regards Mr, Rudd

...So I decided to play along and wrote back that I had a minimum order of $100 and would only commence with an order once funds have been received and cleared in my bank account. I figured I would probably not hear from him again then today I get an email with an order for 450 candles, asking for cost so that they can supply credit card info, really? :confused: Why would someone order so many candles and pay for international shipping, I just don't get it? I know there are great candle makers in Australia, wouldn't that be more economical? What do you all think of this?

It sounds a lot like this one I received on my site;

"My name is Jones Kelly USA based,This mail is to make inquiry on the

below question.Do you accept credit card for payment(my U.S.A Master

and Visa card to be precise)Regarding shipping,I already know of a

freight forwarder that will pick my packages from your store after

payment is confirmed and when goods are ready for shipment,as the

private freight company ship cost is cheap than any other courier and

they are so effective in shipping my goods to my store in

Victoria,Australia is estimated to be 2-3days. I have used there

service in the past and it was splendid.

Kindly let me know your comments on these, so that i can email you

with the items i am interested in purchasing from you.

Jones Kelly

(Owner)"

I didn't reply back and haven't heard from them again.:rolleyes2

Edited by LanaH

Considering he couldn't even get the punctuation correct in his own name... I'd chalk this one up as a scam.

Oh, plus the fact that it NEVER said anything about candles. He just says "PRODUCTS" so that tells me it is a form email on top of a scam. Delete it!

lol...crazy...what is the benefit to them? No one is going to send an order without payment first so what do they get out of this? I guess it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Because you never get paid. I believe the initial contact is to see if you take the bait (promise of large purchase). You send the card thru thinking you are going to get paid. In the meantime they ask for help paying shipping. You agree as this is a big purchase and you think your money is being processed so you go ahead and pay the shipping as you have been promised payment. None of it happens. You are out the shipping fee, product, and the credit payment never goes thru. Thats the scam. There are variations of it but thats basically it.

The tip off is the poorly written email; an email address instead of a full name and biz address and phone number; they ask questions in the initial email that can be answered if they had actually visited your website; stuff like that that you know looks off when you think about it instead of seeing dollar signs. At least that what they are counting on. You were right to come and ask. Means your scammer radar is working!

I just send these emails to the trash bin.

I got this email from my website the other day....

Name: Mr, Rudd

Email: Square_Olle@hotmail.com

Comments: Hello there,

"I want to buy some PRODUCTS from your company to my new store in Australia, I would like to know if you accept credit card and ship internationally as I have got new shops opening another part of the world.So please let me know if you can assist me with the order I will await your prompt response as soon as you receive this mail,I will be very glad if you treat this email with good concern.

You can reply back to Square_Olle at hotmail.com"

Regards Mr, Rudd

...So I decided to play along and wrote back that I had a minimum order of $100 and would only commence with an order once funds have been received and cleared in my bank account. I figured I would probably not hear from him again then today I get an email with an order for 450 candles, asking for cost so that they can supply credit card info, really? :confused: Why would someone order so many candles and pay for international shipping, I just don't get it? I know there are great candle makers in Australia, wouldn't that be more economical? What do you all think of this?

Wow, I never knew that our Ex prime minister was so into candles :) I get them as well, although from just about every country besides Australia, usually sent from a gmail address. I now have most of them going straight to the trash without me even seeing them, for the others there is the delete key :)

I got something similar a couple weeks ago. Mine actually placed an order with items from my website in the email so I wasn't super sure. I googled their email address and it came up as a scam. I thought it was very unusual that they didn't care about how much shipping was, or how much the wholesale prices were. Definitely not normal behavior of a real wholesale account.