Spiral Candle

That was cool! My brain can't comprehend how they spaced the spirals evenly, but that does look like a neat candle to have.

Also looks like a wooden wick they use for the second stage. And they expect the customer to trim it to the proper height, too. These people are expecting a lot of factors to work perfectly for them. That is one extreme candle! Good luck in the business :)

Edited by jonsie

Here's their website...

http://spirallightcandle.com/

It's under construction, but they do have a brochure.

It's certainly novel and fascinating to watch... Wonder how many feet of wick are in that baby...:shocked2: If one has trouble wicking a candle NORMALLY, just imagine how one could screw this one up!! I KNOW I could!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:I think I'd better stick to making candles that burn the "normal" way.

Very cool how it drips to the center, then the wooden wick appears... gotta love human ingenuity!! Kinda reminds me of a mechanical self-wick trimming candle posted some time ago except not as medieval looking. Thanks for sharing that link! :smiley2:

Looks pretty easy to make. The wick is not quite wound around the insert of a hurricane mould, so there is something they are doing other than wrapping the insert. Maybe build a layer of wax on the insert, then wrap the wick, then make the hurricane? Pour at a lower temp so as to not melt the wax already on the insert? Placing the wood in the center is a snap.

Great idea though. I bet most of the hurricane folks could do this easy enough.

OMG you guys have to check out this video:

What makes this candle even more interesting is that it is not just a spiral candle (which in itself is totally out of the box) but an eco-package. No wonder these people patented the idea. Which makes me wonder, who patented first?

From the video above I was able to find their Facebook and their website http://www.spiralmelt.com (the latter under construction).

Looks pretty easy to make. The wick is not quite wound around the insert of a hurricane mould, so there is something they are doing other than wrapping the insert. Maybe build a layer of wax on the insert, then wrap the wick, then make the hurricane? Pour at a lower temp so as to not melt the wax already on the insert? Placing the wood in the center is a snap.

Great idea though. I bet most of the hurricane folks could do this easy enough.

I gotta give this a try!! Just not sure what size wick to start with....hmmmmm.

Well, I made one and it does work however the flame is a torch and it burns way too fast. (used a 15ply FB) I wrapped the wick around a 2 1/2 mold then dipped it in the presto a couple of times, set inside a 4" mold and poured like a hurricane. With the size of molds I used, it ended up with a 3/4" wall and with the fast burning wick, the melting wax quickly filled up the inside of the candle and buried the center wick.

Tried to add a pic but couldn't get it to upload. I'll remelt and try with a 3" insert......I love experimenting :smiley2:

The wick in the video doesn't look like a FB to me. It looks round and has droppings so I think it might be a P or cotton core. Not a zinc. Maybe a small RRD.

I wrote to a patent attorney friend because I have "issues" with folks patenting things that artists should be free to make. He wrote back that sometimes the simplest of ideas get patents just because nobody else applied. He suggested that I make as many as I can before the patent is approved.

Edited by EricofAZ

What a cool candle. I would love to try making one of those from palm. Now talk about wicking nightmares, add palm into the equation and double your nightmares. I guess I like a challenge :)

Speaking of interesting candles. Sometime ago, someone posted pics of a candle that was only about 1/2 inch wide, but long and tall, and somewhat wavy shape. The wick was lit and then it branched off utill it met a joic and then there was two wicks burning, etc. Does that make any sense and can anyone recall the website that it was shown on. I have tried searching but for the life of me cannot find it on here or on the web, but they were also some really interesting candles.

What a cool candle. I would love to try making one of those from palm. Now talk about wicking nightmares, add palm into the equation and double your nightmares. I guess I like a challenge :)

Speaking of interesting candles. Sometime ago, someone posted pics of a candle that was only about 1/2 inch wide, but long and tall, and somewhat wavy shape. The wick was lit and then it branched off utill it met a joic and then there was two wicks burning, etc. Does that make any sense and can anyone recall the website that it was shown on. I have tried searching but for the life of me cannot find it on here or on the web, but they were also some really interesting candles.

Funny you said that, Richard, that's what I was thinking about too. I can't remember the name of that company, but I do remember they were in Germany.

The wick in the video doesn't look like a FB to me. It looks round and has droppings so I think it might be a P or cotton core. Not a zinc. Maybe a small RRD.

QUOTE]

Didn't have any roles of wicking on hand except the FB but I agree, the pic does not have a FB. You'll have to pull out your supply of roles and see what you can come up with. I think it might be a good idea to prime the wick with some high meltpoint wax too. The FB burned so fast, I had to trim it every other minute!!!

Edited by Pam W