What FOs do you have the most of because of the search for perfection?

Are there any scents you just can't find to match your expectations and you keep trying over and over and over with new suppliers? I often find I have to blend to find perfection but there's still a handful that I can't find "off the shelf" or even blend to be able to be truly happy.

Here's my list, what's yours? I have tried at least SEVEN fo's plus my own endless blending for each of these and still I'm not thrilled......

Sugar Cookie (AH Sugared Shortbread winner so far, testing Fillmore now and might be it)

Butter Rum (I give up)

Coconut (BCN the winner so far)

Cotton Candy (I have several I like and just need to decide and stick to it!)

Salty Air (Daystar Salty Sailor winner so far)

Buttercream (I give up)

Coconut Cream Pie (KY is the winner so far but find it to be weak, accurate, but weak)

Banana (NG Bananza winner so far but not thrilled with it)

Carrot Cake (can't seem to get that cream cheese frosting note)

Birthday Cake (AH the winner so far)

Apricot (Just By Nature had the best but now I'm still hunting)

Toasted Marshmallow (KY the winner so far)

Pie Crust (only 3 FOs tested....so far! ICS seems to be ok)

Graham Cracker (only 5 FOs tested....so far!)

Sugar cookie (so far MC gourmet sugar cookie)

Vanilla ( DS vanilla delicious) have probably tested 10+

Cotton Candy ( have not found a great one)

Buttercream (DS buttercream friosting)

Peach ( OMG still testing this one) in search of the strongest peach)

Cinnamon Bun (ICS classic)

Peach (I loathe Georgia Peach too tart! Always looking for a softer, sweeter, fresh, juicy, fleshy, natural peach).

Coconut

Coconut Milk

Vanilla Sandalwood

Pumpkin Pie (for both soap and candles)

Pineapple

Vanilla (although I am loving CS Vanilla Lace I still have to mix for a perfect vanilla)

Gingerbread (Love BW Honey Gingerbread but want a body safe one just like it)

Are there any scents you just can't find to match your expectations and you keep trying over and over and over with new suppliers? I often find I have to blend to find perfection but there's still a handful that I can't find "off the shelf" or even blend to be able to be truly happy.

Here's my list, what's yours? I have tried at least SEVEN fo's plus my own endless blending for each of these and still I'm not thrilled......

Sugar Cookie (AH Sugared Shortbread winner so far, testing Fillmore now and might be it)

Butter Rum (I give up)

Coconut (BCN the winner so far)

Cotton Candy (I have several I like and just need to decide and stick to it!)

Salty Air (Daystar Salty Sailor winner so far)

Buttercream (I give up)

Coconut Cream Pie (KY is the winner so far but find it to be weak, accurate, but weak)

Banana (NG Bananza winner so far but not thrilled with it)

Birthday Cake (AH the winner so far)

Apricot (Just By Nature had the best but now I'm still hunting)

Toasted Marshmallow (KY the winner so far)

Pie Crust (only 3 FOs tested....so far! ICS seems to be ok)

Graham Cracker (only 5 FOs tested....so far!)

This is the BEST Craham Cracker, IMO

http://www.backwoodsfragrancesupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=336

Have you tried the one from Elements? I have almost a dozen samples of various carrot cake fo's from different suppliers, but I poured this one first (based on oob sniffing) and my search was over! :D

Edited by mzpickles

The best peach IMO is no longer with us...lol. I finally found it at A Garden Eastward...and then she went OOB. I could have cried because she had several scents that customers loved. One of them I can buy at Sweetcakes but it is a lot more expensive.

I can't GIVE Coconut Cream Pie away. But I did like KY's. It was really strong for me in her Perfect Blend. But...now that wax is gone too.

I've always poured Sugar Cookie from NG. Good to know that Filllmore has a good one since I pick up my jars there. I'll have to give it a try.

I LOVE the Pumpkin Pie from The Candlemaker's Store. It smells and throw just like Missy's did. I don't know if it is soap safe though. When I made some pumpkin CP soap I used Whipped Pumpkin (I think that is the name) from Candlewic.

I gave up on a good Cotton Candy for candles. I couldn't get any of them to throw well.

There was a peach pie filling scent out years ago and I cannot remember who had it.

I'm forever in search of:

A vanilla that sells (we can't give it away so stopped carrying it)

A chocolate that sells (we can't give it away even mixed and I love the chocolate patchouli mix)

Pumpkin -- (same as above, except Lone Star's Butternut Pumpkin is awesome)

Perhaps I should be in search of customers for the above, but I'm not. We just moved on to something else.

Now what I'm really looking for:

A killer Vanilla Sandalwood. I haven't exactly loaded up on the fragrance, but the AH/RE one that I have is ho hum. I haven't tried out NG's, but will. And I never did try what SS had.

A killer Sandalwood. Must be rich and heavier than what's out there. While I absolutely love Red Santal that SS used to carry, I don't love the price, says the fool who invested in a pound of sandalwood from Lebermuth and is afraid to use it (actually it's reserved for soap only because of its cost) so really I'm looking for one not mixed with anything else that would work in wax.

Seems there were more ... oh yea, once upon a time it was peanut butter, but I threw all of what I had out.

I went in search of iced oatmeal raisin cookies too and have a few of that, but just wasn't satisfied I guess.

I'm sure my list is longer than what's been listed, but I'm brain cramping.

My list:

Strawberry

Strawberry

Strawberry

Since we raise strawberries and fresh market direct from the farm, our customers are always surprised that strawberry is one fragrance of candles or soaps we don't carry in the gift shop. I always tell them that the day we finally find an fo that smells real we will but to tell the truth I've given up.

Now see did you ever try the strawberry from Solas? Unfortunately he went OOB years back, but that was a nice, thick scent. Haven't been in the hunt for a strawberry since. I do stick with the strawberry musk available through AH/RE though. It's not a straight strawberry, but oh my it's good.

I have been searching and searching for a sugar cookie! I gave up because I felt like they all were a weak version of 'watered down vanilla'!

Will try NG. Our birthday cake is Peak's and sells amazing. People are shocked at how amazing it smells- OOB I thought it was a waste of FO but CT and HT is amazing. Buttercream I was picky on until I fount BCN- it is Y type, which I have always loved. It is one of those that you either love it or hate it... exact dupe to my Y buttercream candles.

One that I (happily) gave up on is gingerbread. It makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it- even worse to pour it...

BTW from an extensive search, we found candlemakersstore coconut to be the best. I have so much other coconut FO sitting around because I am a big coconut fan and candlemakersstore was the best!

I have been searching and searching for a sugar cookie! I gave up because I felt like they all were a weak version of 'watered down vanilla'!

Take a look at Moonworks, she has a Sugar Cookie Royale on pre-buy. If it's like most of her other scents, it should be great.

Now see did you ever try the strawberry from Solas? Unfortunately he went OOB years back, but that was a nice, thick scent. Haven't been in the hunt for a strawberry since. I do stick with the strawberry musk available through AH/RE though. It's not a straight strawberry, but oh my it's good.

Scented, no, I never did get any fragrances from Solas. I may have to look up that musk version at AH/RE, though. I've been through so many versions of straight strawberry, strawberries & cream, strawberry rhubarb, strawberry jam that I could puke. :laugh2: Never considered going a non-food direction like musk.

Scented, no, I never did get any fragrances from Solas. I may have to look up that musk version at AH/RE, though. I've been through so many versions of straight strawberry, strawberries & cream, strawberry rhubarb, strawberry jam that I could puke. :laugh2: Never considered going a non-food direction like musk.

Well there is a hint of strawberry in it and a heavy musk and it's just flat sexy.

True berry scents.

Blueberry

Raspberry

Strawberry

The ones I've tried all smell too fake. I do love the white peach and berries from candlewic and moon work's fairy garden has berry notes that I like. Maybe that's as close as I'll get

I'm still searching for a true coconut for b&b. I only do m&p, foaming bath whip and lotions. Tried AH's Bahama Coconut with no luck and several other suppliers I can't remember. Just ordered a sample of NG's Coconut Cabana so we'll see how that one is. Oh, another one is Key Lime Pie for b&b too. Most of them have too much lime and not enough pie.

What about BCN vanilla sandalwood, it is from the old Bubbles and Lights Co that BCN took over. I have used it and I personally like it a lot. It works in soy and paraffin too!

A big hearty ditto to this! I can't get enough of smelling this myself, and it's a good seller too! As a test I even mixed it with another favorite, Pink Sugar. I tried the combo because the Tuscan Lace from Elements reminded me of something, this mix was very close.

Bubbles and Lights had some of the best scents in the WORLD in my opinion. I was so happy when BCN took over. My happiness was very short-lived once I realized that BCN was not carrying a single one of my beloved BNL scents. I miss BNL / Dirt Cheap Scents more than anyone can imagine.

I've got a pretty good collection of Sandalwood and Sandalwood Vanilla's right now, from a bunch of different suppliers. I just got a Sandalwood F/O from EOU yesterday, really nice. I ordered it thursday night and it shipped out friday a.m. I got it yesterday afternoon! Great service, to boot. I have a couple of different Coconut Lime Verbena, and really, I like the original one from WSP best. I'd like to find a good Patchouli f/o, so I wouldn't have to hock the house to buy the e/o version. I've heard Moonworks have a great one, but it's been sold out since around January (I heard that her supplier lost the recipe?). I'll keep looking!

I've got a pretty good collection of Sandalwood and Sandalwood Vanilla's right now, from a bunch of different suppliers. I just got a Sandalwood F/O from EOU yesterday, really nice. I ordered it thursday night and it shipped out friday a.m. I got it yesterday afternoon! Great service, to boot. I have a couple of different Coconut Lime Verbena, and really, I like the original one from WSP best. I'd like to find a good Patchouli f/o, so I wouldn't have to hock the house to buy the e/o version. I've heard Moonworks have a great one, but it's been sold out since around January (I heard that her supplier lost the recipe?). I'll keep looking!

On another thread, the consensus was that Lebermuth's Patchouli is identical to Moonworks & is the best.