Opinions of show/event

Wessex

Hello All,

I was just invited to do an event at a local Tennis/Golf/Social Club. This place is a pretty upscale club (I can't afford the monthly dues, much less the initiation fee) that has been around for about 80 years or so. Anyway, it is a Ladies Night Out event, with local artists, etc, drinking and dining kinda thing. It is open to female members and their guests only. It runs 3 hours in the evening and costs $50 plus 15% of sales. One 6 foot table (and chair) is provided, but no table covers. I think it is an indoor and outdoor event. Anyone ever done this type of thing before? Any thoughts? I am interested, but all that work for 3 hours of selling...no definate numbers on attendies, just "many".

Thanks,

Steve

Steve is this the first year that they have had this event? If not, they should have more information or a list of previous vendors that you might call for information about attendance. If this is the 1st year, I would go for it. The people who go there have the ability to buy multiple candles at a time and could be future business for this fall.

Upscale clientele- always good! PLUS, not to mention the fact that the club probably has weddings and events. At the very least meeting professional club members can help you get more business- attorneys, real estate agents and similar professions give nice thank you baskets/gifts.

My advice is to keep the set up simple, less is more, like expensive stores... generally there is not much on the shelf.

15% of sales is not much, but $50 seems pricey for 3 hours. By me, clubs like this have pretty good attendence for events such as this. If it were me, I would probably do it.

I would do it, but when I was doing shows, I did every show I could get my hands on.

I used to do a similar show. A once a year social/shopping event, invitation only, wives of Shriners. They ate and spent money. Toward the end of the evening, the husbands came in (they had been elsewhere in the temple for their once a year whatever it is they do). They would spend twice as much money as their wives.

It was free with no commission, and the vendors ate and mingled with the ladies, so I wasn't out any money. I made a lot of money at the event, and $50 + 15% would have been more than reasonable. Often at these types of event, the women try to outspend each other, if you know what I mean.

Find out if there will be any other chandlers there. I know I would do the one you're asking about.

I say go for it. I'm a bit north of you in Front Royal but do many shows in the Shenandoah Valley and the price sounds fairly reasonable to me for the greater area of VA-- especially Richmond. Some of these 'smaller' shows can turn out to be your bread 'n butter. If it doesn't work out you will probably still get new info from the other venders on other shows plus you never know when and where a new wholesale account will pop up.

I say go for it. I'm a bit north of you in Front Royal but do many shows in the Shenandoah Valley and the price sounds fairly reasonable to me for the greater area of VA-- especially Richmond. Some of these 'smaller' shows can turn out to be your bread 'n butter. If it doesn't work out you will probably still get new info from the other venders on other shows plus you never know when and where a new wholesale account will pop up.

Exactly. No show is too small or insignificant.

This would be a big "YES" for me. Treat it as a marketing event with an opportunity to recoup your table fee.

Indicators show the wealthy are spending, we just don't see many of those buyers at the typical craft events. They spend at places they are comfortable - like the high priced luxury stores. Go to their club where they are comfortable and you have access to an entirely new group of customers.

I've done events like this that cost $350+ for the same number of hours and picked up nice corporate accounts and wedding and baby shower custom orders.

Sending Good Luck wishes your way.