Scared!

As of today, I have all my supplies for making tarts/melts. I have been so excited the last few months to start and now after researching and buying supplies, I can't get myself to start. lol. I am sitting here staring at everything.

I have lots of friends chomping at the bit to purchase. I've already told them it'll be awhile and explained the testing process.

Someone kick me in the rear!

Hey Suzy,

Get your butt in gear and start melting some wax!!! It is quite easy once you get the hang of it. Just make sure you do test the FO's, some just don't throw well in my soy wax (lots of FO's gathering dust at my place LOL).

So anyway...GET IT IN GEAR...MELT SOME WAX

And have fun.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for the kick. lol. I am definitely going to test, test, test! I have plenty of FO's to try.

I didn't buy a kit, I bought supplies separately.

I have Ecosoya Pillar Blend, Ecosoya XCEL, Clamshells, Portion Cups, Liquid Dyes, Fragrances, Presto Pot, Pour pots, digital thermometer.... hmmm, did I miss anything? lol.

I have a busy busy weekend so hopefully I can make some time. Maybe late tonight after game night at church when all the kiddos are in bed.

You got lotsa work ahead of you girlfriend! I haven't made tarts (yet) lol.. I see you already have a site and a facebook up... Got lotsa playing and testing ahead of you so you can put all your web work to good use!!! Good luck and have fun!

I do that all the time. Wait and wait for supplies to come, and then I just sit there and stare at them for a while. I've had so many disappointments on wicking etc in the past, I just have to get a grip before I try something new. Also, even though I have a designated room for doing all the mixing and such, I feel like I should be doing something else, or am afraid of the mess I'll make.

I need therapy...

Prepping takes me the longest, cleaning jars, selecting and attaching wicks, deciding on color and fragrance. Once the jars are ready, it doesn't take long to weigh out the wax and melt it. Add color, stir, add FO and stir; cool and pour. Using a large mat protects the counter from spills which are more like a drip or two. My largest mess was with a pillar mold where I did not do a good job sealing the hole at the bottom. Even that was not a big deal as the wax sealed the hole, eventually. :)

All this talk about candle making and now I have the urge to make one.

I've been scratching my head for 4 days now trying to figure out what style to make a set of pillars that a friend ordered. She burns so many of my candles that I like to give her something different each time...and to make it worse, she always just says "surprise me"!!!

I have a work table next to my stove where I do all my pouring & keep it covered with newspaper but that doesn't always help...a bottle of purple dye got tipped over one day so now the floor under the table is a nice dark purple. *faint*

Thanks everyone!

I'm just doing tarts, so no wicks to mess with. I have been gone all day and am wiped out. I'll probably get to start on Monday.

Shanda- good to "see" you! I have been worried about ya!

Thanks everyone!

I'm just doing tarts, so no wicks to mess with. I have been gone all day and am wiped out. I'll probably get to start on Monday.

Shanda- good to "see" you! I have been worried about ya!

I see you have an etsy page set up. Better get cracking.

I like your ribbon shop. I buy a lot of little clips and such on etsy.

When I first got started and even now sometimes I will buy FO's and not want to use them, I don't want to run out, they were too expensive etc. LOL I will sit in my studio and just smell them, not wanting to "waste" the FO. They smell so beautiful sometimes I think I just want to keep them forever. Silly I know haha

Thanks for complimenting the hair accessories shop.

I do already have my Etsy and facebook going. I didn't want the name I chose for my shop to be gone.

I guess I kind of feel like that too, like using them is wasteful. I guess it's part of doing something that is consumable.

I took the plunge last night.!!!!!!!!!! I was so tired but decided to do it after being motivated by everyone. My first one, I used the scale wrong (I had a loooong day. lol.) So, I went to fill a clamshell and it only filled it half way. When I was weighing, I thought that it didn't seem like a lot of wax. Duh!

When I finally weighed it right, I filled 2 clamshells and a 2 oz portion cups. I will post pics later because I am really proud of them! They look so pretty and I think they turned out well. Now, just to test them in a warmer.

Edited by SuzyK

See? Now was that so hard? And don't worry about the weighing mistake. We all make them and it always helps me do better and learn from each mistake. Also-- keep in mind that sometimes mistakes can turn out to be happy ones.:smiley2:

Have fun with your tart making! You'll be an expert in no time!!