Irritated

StephD

So, long story short, I used to make wickless soy candles and melts, started a business and loved it! I ended up moving a few years ago and did not continue the business when I moved, but decided last fall that I wanted to get back into it. So, I tell everybody, they all loved my candles before, so I was excited. Late fall, I find out from my brother that his wife was thinking about selling candles. I was a little mad, reminded him that I've ordered wax and fragrance oils, and that I'm getting back into that. Well, guess what???? She started selling Scentsy in December and after I made my Etsy website, he bought her a Scentsy one. Nobody in my family understands, which is why I posted here. I needed to vent to fellow chandlers who would understand. Thank you for lending an ear!

On a side note, I've been testing my wax, am ordering 2-3 new fragrance oils tomorrow and will hopefully have some up on Etsy soon. We are extremely busy with work and sports, so I have not had a lot of time to get this done.

I do have a few questions on the business aspect if someone can help. I set up a site on Etsy. What do I need to do as far as the candle labels? Do I put my Etsy shop and if so, then do I need to register my business? Last time I made the candles, I just registered as a business. I would prefer to keep it simple if at all possible.

Thank you again!

I really can't give you any business advise, I don't do etsy, but just wanted to say that Scentsy melts are not all that great. If you use quality FO and wax, yours could easily be better that hers. Granted you may have to give plenty of samples out for free, just to get people to try them, but once they do, they'll know who's are better. Anyway, yours will be cheaper, no doubt, and easier to get. Many of us here kind of are grateful for scentsy, they marketed them, told people how they work, what the benefits were, and we supply the melts! Keep your chin up, it'll be all good in the long run.:)

Being the self proclaimed queen of irritation here's a word of advice...never pour your candles with "helpers" most especially customers..all of a sudden they think, I can do that, just melt wax, add oil and color...piece of cake. However your sil selling Scentsy is a horse of a different color....do you ever charge your family for your stuff? If you don't, charge her..God knows I p*ss peole off...just read my threads...lol. My one sil asked me when we were at their home if I would light her candle for her..it was a Yankee Candle, yet...because I always bring goodies when I visit she asked if I had any tarts and soaps for her because yankee's tarts were too expensive. Before I could answer Jay said "no, my brother makes the big bucks you can afford Yankee tarts" Jay's brother's jaw dropped and I said "you know me, I always listen to Jay"

Ride it out, stop freebies if you give them to her and just nod and say "I understand" to every thing your sil says...just those two words "I understand" it will infuriate her. If your brother says anything just say you're hurt because I actually think right now you're more hurt than angry and you have every right to be hurt.

Steph, sorry about your situation. I think we all have gone through stuff like that. As for Etsy and labels, I do have my Etsy address on my labels so hopefully they will order again. Or if you have a website then I would put both addresses. It sure can't hurt.

Good luck!

So, long story short, I used to make wickless soy candles and melts, started a business and loved it! I ended up moving a few years ago and did not continue the business when I moved, but decided last fall that I wanted to get back into it. So, I tell everybody, they all loved my candles before, so I was excited. Late fall, I find out from my brother that his wife was thinking about selling candles. I was a little mad, reminded him that I've ordered wax and fragrance oils, and that I'm getting back into that. Well, guess what???? She started selling Scentsy in December and after I made my Etsy website, he bought her a Scentsy one. Nobody in my family understands, which is why I posted here. I needed to vent to fellow chandlers who would understand. Thank you for lending an ear!

On a side note, I've been testing my wax, am ordering 2-3 new fragrance oils tomorrow and will hopefully have some up on Etsy soon. We are extremely busy with work and sports, so I have not had a lot of time to get this done.

I do have a few questions on the business aspect if someone can help. I set up a site on Etsy. What do I need to do as far as the candle labels? Do I put my Etsy shop and if so, then do I need to register my business? Last time I made the candles, I just registered as a business. I would prefer to keep it simple if at all possible.

Thank you again!

Sorry to hear your family is giving you grief. I had to stop the "freebies" with my sisters when I completed the full fledged r&d part of my set up. They both completely understood, and are glad to purchase my "seconds" and "damaged stock" at a discount. I also do a "case" price for them, as they both accept recycled tester jars and return them. Both of them generate tons of sales for me, and are my biggest promoters, so they get adequate "gifting" for their birthdays and holidays. I will hug them each and send and extra special gift for each after reading this post, and realizing how lucky I am. I wish you the best. Hang in there.

If she didn't approach with the same passion you have for wax, she may fade fast. Trying to book home parties is not easy!

Your success is separate from hers and remember that a flame that lights another flame does not lose any of its fire...or something like that. Point is, you can both be successful and not diminish the other.

Scentsy is $5.95 around here for only 2.3 oz of wax. I do wish the suppliers would start making dupes of the scents, though.

Thank you all so much! It's so nice to be around people who understand. I'm not worried about her taking away customers. I actually have a good combination of wax that almost any FO throws in, except Hollister. Oh boy would I love to get a hold of some good Hollister FO. LOL My mom is actually wanting that one, along with the two 15-year-old girls in the house.

I'm going to get back in it full force. I took it up because I love candles and making them was something I never thought I could do. I actually spent months testing wax to find a good combination. On a side note, I have a few friends who refuse to buy from her because of her doing that. lol I know she's just trying to make some money, but there are other things out there to sell as well that I'm not making/selling. lol

The main reason behind getting back in is because I really miss a good scented candle, but I also need to bring in some extra money. I loved how much the house smelled when I would make them. It was so worth it. I think I gained about 30 pounds, too. lol

Thanks again! I knew I could count on ya all to make my day better! :yay:

Scentsy is making me money. I sell so many of those clamshells, it is hard to keep up. I don't know how well you will do on line. I found that people have to smell them. But if you do the shows and sell to friends, you should do well. I sell mine for 4.00 each or 6 for 20.00. Works for me. Good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the online will probably be more for friends of mine where I used to live. I do not live close enough to deliver or meet them halfway. So far, I've retested and poured 2 scents. I'm going to do about 4 more hopefully this next week. It's really hard right now as I don't have a lot of time. lol Congrats on selling so well! I'm really excited to be back into it! :)

Just because she's a Scentsy rep doesn't guarantee her success. Besides, you are your own boss and she's not.

Personally, I would just smile and wish her well and try not to let it bother you. Always remember your products are handmade and so you know all about your product. All she really only knows about is the sales liturature she is given to memorize. You have the upper hand in so many ways so give pat yourself on the back!

And give yourself a K-I-S-S (keep it simple sister!)