palm wax

If you aren't doing it already, I'd weigh your wax before melting it. Actually, weigh everything... your FO, and additives, etc. Because weighing is the best way to quantify the amounts you are working with.

I'm sorry if I completely misunderstood your question. Are you handling big blocks of wax from a supplier?

With GG I always want extra. After the candle cools, (I have kept my extra wax warm in a toaster oven) I poke the top of the candle many times because the air usually:laugh2:I meen usually is right under the surface around the wick, and pour the left over a tiny bit to just reach the sides of the jar into that void I created. How many oz left, after weighing 16oz, I don't know but I always have some left. You will just have to try it and see. You will need extra for a top off. Hope this helps.

Soy

16oz weighed wax was about 600 mls of liquid wax give or take a little Im sorry I dont have anything to measure fl oz ( we work in metric here) but you can convert. Is that what you ment?

Feather wax that was

Edited by Tribalvixen
added wax type

So explain what your bottom line question is, and why. We know you want to find out how many oz of liquid per oz of dry you are going to get. It's easy, try it. Melt 16oz by dry weight of palm, melt it and pour it into a pitcher or pyrex that measures fluid oz and whala you have it. :laugh2:Maybe I'm not getting it but I'm trying.

Edited by soy327

I have to chuckle a little bit. A pound is 16 ounces. A pound is a pound.

A pound of air is 16 ounces. A pound of lead is 16 ounces.

By volume, a pound of lead is much smaller than a pound of air. As I recall, just a small couple of ice cube sizes of lead is a pound and a column of air that is one inch in diameter and 1/7th the height of the atmosphere is also about a pound.

Most manufacturers that make measuring cups assume H20 as the measure. So a pound of H20 is measured to a certain level in teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, quarts, gallons, etc.

A pound of FO and a pound of wax are not the same as a pound of H20.

If you weigh, you will always get it right. If you measure, you need to know what you are measuring it against and whether or not the measuring device is accurate.

FO might be heavier or lighter by volume depending on the content. It will always weigh 16 ounces per pound, but might measure differently depending on the FO. Same with wax.

Always weigh.

Edited by EricofAZ

Eric of einstein...How MANY ounces of melted wax(Palm wax) do you get when you melt one pound! With paraffin you get approx 20 ounces from one pound of melted wax....with Soy you get approx 18 ounces...would you get approx 18 or 20 ounces of melted liquid? hellooooo...a foot is a foot...an inch is an inch a mile is a mile...a cork is a cork

Edited by wheels

wheels maybe you should explain why you are having a problem with the weight eric of einstein is right*dead horse* Oh I mean ErisofAz. If you could simply tell us what your having a problem with maybe we could help you.

Soy

Eric you are killing me.

Edited by soy327

If you are talking about WEIGHED ounces, 16 oz. = 1 pound. If you are asking what one pound of wax melted will MEASURE, just melt a pound in a pyrex measuring cup to see how many FLUID ounces there are (approximately) in a pound of wax. This is one that's easy enough to solve by doing. :)

Dunno why this is important, but I find it unnecessary as I fill my jars by weight and not by volume.

16oz weighed wax was about 600 mls of liquid wax give or take a little

Here's a handy dandy conversion link for ya, Tribalvixon.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

600 milliliter = 20.288 413 621 ounce [uS, liquid]

Edited by Stella1952

do you get 20 ounces of palm wax when melting a pound or 18 ounces. yeah I could measure it and probably will...The only reason I ask is I just wanted to know how many ounces so I don't screw up my figuring when pouring a batch. I didn't think this would be such a mystery.

Edited by wheels

lol...threads about volume & weight always crack me up. Yes a pound is a pound, but a pound is also a certain number of liquid ounces, depending on what type of material it is.

I have been getting about 6.5 oz (by weight) of wax in my "so called" 8.25 oz (by volume) container.

So, my best guess would be that 16oz (by weight) of palm wax would melt to be 20.3oz of liquid.

True, you'll need some for a repour if you choose to do so, but the container is still going to hold the same amount of wax. You'll just be filling in air pockets that form.

Hope this made a tiny bit of sense. :smiley2:

Eric of einstein...
The only reason I ask is I just wanted to know how many ounces so I don't screw up my figuring when pouring a batch. I didn't think this would be such a mystery.
What's the mystery and why is this difficult? Is sarcasm necessary? Since YOU are the one asking who apparently doesn't understand, one would think you would be kinder to those who bother to reply to you. You could have simply filled a container and measured or weighed it yourself in the time it took to ask the question and read the replies.

Since I fill my containers by weight on a scale, it's unnecessary to know how many fluid ounces will fill the container. In the first place, containers are not filled to the top, so the amount poured will vary depending to what point the container is filled. I figure this out by filling a new container to a point that suits me, note the weight of the wax, then multiply. I only have to do this once for each different style/size container I pour. I write this down so I don't ever have to figure it again.

For example, I pour 5 weighed ounces of wax into an 8 fluid oz. widemouth canning jar (before pouring use the tare feature on the scale to zero it after the empty container is placed on the scale so you know how much wax is going into the container without the weight of the container being included. This is called "net weight." It's one of the things that is required to be on the label). So all I have to do to figure out how much wax I need is multiply by the number of containers I wish to fill to arrive at the total size of the batch needed. I generally make a little extra in case I overfill by a couple of tenths of an ounce or decide to repour for some reason. I would rather have a little left over and make some tarts or a votive or two rather than run short.

you'll need some for a repour if you choose to do so, but the container is still going to hold the same amount of wax. You'll just be filling in air pockets that form.
By VOLUME it holds the same, but NOT by WEIGHT. Volume measures the amount of space something takes up. Weight is absolute. If you add more for a repour, it weighs more. :rolleyes2

soy327, I can feel you reading my mind!!! :D

Edited by Stella1952

Personally, I would have just measured it myself and left the sarcasm at the door. That would have taken the mystery right out of it.

Just sayin. Goodness wheels....I usually don't speak up but the eric of einstein comment wasn't very nice. He was trying to be helpful, even after you called for Top of Murray Hill to answer because those who answered you weren't "getting it".

Anyway...hope you got your answer.

You could weigh your empty jar then weigh it again after your wax is poured and the candle sets up. Subtract the weight of the jar from the weight of the completed candle and you should get your liquid weight.

This is if I'm understanding you right, if not, forget everything I just said! Hope you find your answer!

Deb :yay:

Ok, I just went back and re-read your post, I realize you're not making a candle, you just want to know how much 1 lb of palm wax yields in a liquid state. You could put your pour pot on your scale, hit the tare button, then pour your pound of wax in the pour pot, this should give you your weight in liquid form.

Once again, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, just trying to help!

Deb

Edited by Debbie73
add on

By VOLUME it holds the same, but NOT by WEIGHT. Volume measures the amount of space something takes up. Weight is absolute. If you add more for a repour, it weighs more. :rolleyes2

That was my point. Someone who chooses to do a repour will have a heavier candle than someone who chooses not to. They'll look the same (volume-wise) on the outside, but the one with a repour will weigh more.

I tare out my pour pot and fill to the desired amount. I use 12 oz salsa jars that hold 8 fluid ounces comfortably (with lid on). I measure out 15 ounces of wax and 1 oz of fo and get exactly 8 oz per candle. Its been a long time since I have melted 16 oz of wax as a means to determine fluid measurement. All you have to do is use your scale and find out for yourself. This ain't rocket science. HTH

Steve

You have one pound of dry not melted paraffin wax it will yield approx 20 oz of liquid when melted. Soy approx 18...I pound of palm wax 18 or 20 oz. forget it I'll just melt a pound and find out. This ain' rocket science...but thanks anyway.

Edited by wheels