palm wax

I was going to do the same but it ended up my friend wanted the soy instead. We really do want to help each other.

You see wheels if you come to the forum with a legite question or problem these people will really bend over backwards to help. I've been frustrated before and had to apolagize. So I'm trying to understand why we are still going here.:confused: Let's put it to bed.

Well, I wasn't trying to be mean and I'll try not to use any more dry humor (unless I weight it first).

I think that Wheels was trying to compare wax weight with water weight to a level line in a container and figured out that soy and paraffin are different and was trying to find out where palm fit in.

I don't personally do this, but maybe it helps some people decide how much wax to put in the melter when they plan on using different containers with water ounce sizes.

I have some containers labeled as 12 oz. Filled to the brim, they do hold about 12 oz of water.

Not filled to the brim (so that the lid works), they hold less water of course. About 10 oz or slightly less.

8.5 oz of paraffin/FO is about all I can get in them to the same level so I label them as half pound candles.

So for me, one pound of wax and one ounce of FO makes two containers.

So I guess I would say that my blend at 17 total ounces is going to fill a container to the same level that somewhere around 19 ounces of water would fill.

One of my palm containers just weighed 8.1 oz to the usual level where I get 9.6 oz of water or so. I have a paraffin that weighed 7.6, but it had a little sink to it and if I topped it off it might take another quarter ounce or so.

I think I might try naming my cat Einstein. She's pretty smart and helps me when I'm making candle labels. She figured out when the paper is about to be ejected and uses her paw to help it.:D

A quick way to find your liquid yield is line up a bunch of 2oz votive molds. Melt down a lb of the wax you're using and pour into the molds. If you get 10 blank (meaning no wicks...lol) votives you have 20 liquid ounces. 9 1/2 = 19oz , 9 = 18 oz and so on. HTH

Well, I wasn't trying to be mean and I'll try not to use any more dry humor (unless I weight it first).

I think I might try naming my cat Einstein. She's pretty smart and helps me when I'm making candle labels. She figured out when the paper is about to be ejected and uses her paw to help it.:D

You are cracking me up LOL, I

have a dog that comes to two names. LOL

I'm not getting the quote thing right here.

Edited by soy327

I'm not getting the quote thing right here.
Here's the easy answer:

Highlight & copy (PM me if you don't know how to do this) what you want to quote. Hit the quote icon on the editing toolbar above (the one between the picture thingy with the mountain and the # sign); position your cursor between the two brackets in the center that are next to one another and hit paste. The idea is that commands have to be contained in brackets.

[likethis] The first one turns the command ON, then the one with the / before the command [/likethis] turns the command off. You have to have BOTH the "on" command AND the "OFF" command correct or the command won't work right. No spaces between the beginning of the command [likethis]and the end of the command[/likethis].

ALL the way at the bottom of the page on the left is a line that says "BB Code is on". Click on the BB Code line to learn more which takes you to this link:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

HTH :D

Edited by Stella1952

Here's the easy answer:

Highlight & copy (PM me if you don't know how to do this) what you want to quote. Hit the quote icon on the editing toolbar above (the one between the picture thingy with the mountain and the # sign); position your cursor between the two brackets in the center that are next to one another and hit paste. The idea is that commands have to be contained in brackets.

[likethis] The first one turns the command ON, then the one with the / before the command [/likethis] turns the command off. You have to have BOTH the "on" command AND the "OFF" command correct or the command won't work right. No spaces between the beginning of the command [likethis]and the end of the command[/likethis].

ALL the way at the bottom of the page on the left is a line that says "BB Code is on". Click on the BB Code line to learn more which takes you to this link:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

HTH :D

Like this :yay:I think I got it Thanks:laugh2:

Edited by soy327

Hey, check this out, a wax/water conversion calculator!

They're using 18.6:16 ratio.

http://www.candletech.com/calculator/container.php?fst_num=0&snd_num=18.6&ans_num=15.91

Maybe you can write to them and ask that they add one more variable to the calculator - wax type. (soy, palm, paraffin, or, better yet, the wax blend number i.e., IGI numbers, etc).

Going by the specific gravity numbers in the Sumi Asih MSDS, a pound of melted palm wax would yield slightly more fluid ounces than a pound of soy wax. Maybe something like 19 fluid ounces or less.

It would be a good idea to determine the number experimentally if it's important to you, but I don't think it's really useful for very much because it deals with how much space is taken up by melted wax. The weight of wax you need for a container or mold depends on how much space is taken up by SOLID wax. Those two numbers can be very different.

The difference also will vary according to how much a particular wax shrinks. For instance, a given weight of paraffin will take up more space than another wax when melted and less space than the other wax when solid.