I sent an email... let's see explanation

mountainmadness

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live a couple of hours away but when we visit our son we are about an hour away so we have picked up a huge order from them. Last time the lady at WSP said wow you saved 70.00 in shipping charges. DUH- that's why we picked up. Even with gas the way it was in July it was a savings to pick up. Son makes a trip now & then and we combine orders. Just a FYI, if you pick up make sure you have your tax ID stuff in order. They charge state tax on pick ups if you don't have one-there goes your savings. It took me threee emails and phone calls to get them to straighten our account out and refund my tax money. They kept saying it was taken care of but it wasn't. Also I have to say I was surprised at how small the operation was too. We drove right by looking for a large warehouse and it is a small brick building-looks like an office. No big signs or anything.

Glo

I won't order from WSP unless I'm desperate and need something within a couple of days! Their shipping is ridiculous and their business practices are just not something I want to condone or support. Just recently, I needed wax and saw that my usual supplier (BCS) had gone up ALOT, and remembered that WSP had wax on sale. I checked the shipping on 1 case to finish off Christmas orders then decided I might as well order enough to get the preferred UPS. The shipping cost actually INCREASED a few dollars per case by ordering in quantity. It seems to me that they often make up for their surplace and sale items with extra shipping. :mad:

I've also had their customer service department argue with me regarding whether a scent was an actual duplicate when I had the original scent in my hand. I thought they'd sent the wrong thing, it was so different. And in another instance, I placed an order which they split into one large box and 1 smaller box, thereby requiring extra shipping which they billed separately. The kicker...the items in the smaller box would have fit inside the larger box easily! Everything was plastic or non-breakable so they could have left out a few peanuts, still had extra space, and avoided charging me extra!

They definitely make me strive to stay better organized and order from my regular suppliers in a timely manner so that I don't *need* them.

It costs money to ship stuff.. packing materials, labor to pick and pack your order, etc and most large outfits just don't have the time to use multiple shipping methods.

In the grand scheme of things, $14 dosen't sound like alot to pay to have something hand delivered to your door from Kansas to Alaska.. way cheaper than picking it up!

$86 bucks to send a 60lbs box to California sounds mighty steep for ground shipping.. so does $9.10 to ship a less than 1 oz package. Were you people getting the stuff shipped next or second day air?

I would not have complained about $14.00.... my order total was $14.00... the shipping was over $30.00!!!

Just came across this post and have to say that I wanted to try a couple of WSP's FOs and put two 2oz bottles into the cart and they wanted $10 to ship it. I have run into this before with them...and have called them twice to complain.

When I called this time...the lady simply had NO explanation for the high shipping rates...she just kept saying it was normal shipping rates. I was like "what"??? I told her...do you realize how many people that won't order from you because you have ridiculous shipping rates? I said...do you want your company to be known for having high rates like this?

They will never get my business again...it has only gotten worse over the years with them...very sad, because they have some really nice products.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I love WSP, I think the prices are great, the selection is awesome. And shipping has never been unreasonable for me. With that said, their scent prices are getting ridiculous! I love a few of them, but am looking for replacements, or may have to cut them all together. :(

I also love WSP and have been using them from the beginning; I don't find their shipping prices to be unusual. A few times they've even adjusted them down AFTER I've paid for the order.

Perception is strange, isn't it? On another board I frequent, everybody seems to agree that WSP is one of the best suppliers.:confused:

UPDATE: I did get a response. They said that they would look into it. A couple days later they did state that they had charged me "usual" shipping rates. I wish that the box had the dollar amount paid on it but it does not.

I did receive the order very quickly.... it must of been mailed immediately so that part made me happy BUT that still did not explain why I paid twice the total of my order in shipping. I ordered 50 2 oz. malibu bottles with lids. So nothing heavy nor breakable. I placed an order the same day with BrambleBerry and it was 35 lbs. the shipping charged was LESS than the lotion bottles. I had it shipped the same way.....

Makes me wonder..... Although the bottles are nice and they have a good selection, I will NOT order from them again because of their overcharge in shipping.

$86 bucks to send a 60lbs box to California sounds mighty steep for ground shipping. Were you people getting the stuff shipped next or second day air?

No, just regular ground shipping. I typed wrong, it was for 2 cases of wax, not just 60lbs.

Just for fun, I just went and put in 2 cases of wax to see what the shipping is and now it's $94 to me.

I did what Trish did. My results:

2 cases of wax WSP Ohio to Michigan $40.46

BCN Wisconsin to Michigan $41.48

Peaks Colorado to Michigan $51.34

All same product.

Makes me go HMMMMMMM

Double hummm here because i just ordered a 62 pound box of wax and was only charged 14.00 for shipping, im in michigan also.. I have to say i love WSP but then they are close enough to me where the shipping is awesome to me!!!

Maybe this is why people say find a supplier close to you lol

Shutterbug-I am on SW side of MI. I would guess BCN and WSP would probably be within 100 miles of same distance from me. Still hard to believe you (in Detroit) which is about 150 miles from me that shipping would be that much more. I am close to a UPS distribution center so that should not play into it.

For fun I went to WSP to see what shipping would be for 2 cases of wax to N. KY (where I live) it was $36.00. They are about 4 hours away from me.

I order from them a lot, I think there prices are HIGH but I have not had to much problem with shipping cost. One thing I DO love about them is they ship so fast, I can literally put an order in on Monday morning and have it by Tuesday afternoon, one reason, obviously is bcz I live so close. I have had good customer service as well, but I think they need to lower some of their cost, esp on FO and EO

Just for the heck of it I checked shipping charges for 6 different suppliers - BCN, BCS, CandleScience, Lone Star, Peak's and WSP

I checked the price on 1 case of wax that weighed the same - shipping on 1 case ranged from $16.84 to $24.71 - not surprisingly, the further away from me the supplier, the more the shipping charges. But each of these suppliers' shipping charges seem to be pretty much in line with each other IMO

I did have an issue with WSP one time though - when I first started out I was going to order a Sampler pack of the Low Smoke Zinc wicks - I think the price on them were around $7.00 and change and they wanted that much or more to ship them (can't remember the exact amount now - I am old and my memory is gone so sue me) - I even called and questioned them on this, the basic response was even though these weighed next to nothing and could be sent via USPS for almost nothing, they didn't ship that way -

The way I see it is - it is their product and their choice on how they ship and run their business. But I also see it as it is MY money and MY choice on who I order from - and I have never ordered anything from them for the simple fact that I have found everything I wanted thus far from a supplier closer to me, and thus at a cheaper price to me. (Still haven't tried those Low Smoke Zincs yet tho)

Will I ever order from them? Sure I will if they have something I want that I can get from them cheaper than I can somewhere else. Bottom line, I always check the price before I order ANYTHING and that includes the total price with shipping charges.

I am always checking other suppliers to see how their prices compare against each other. The closest supplier to me who carries the wax I use is just north of me in Missouri - Morris Wax - but they aren't the cheapest for me - even thought they are in another state, they said they will charge me sales tax in addition to shipping charges so my wax comes to me from Texas - When the time comes that I want to order a pallet and make a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive one way I am sure I will get it from them because it will save me money. And that's the bottom line.

• 1 month later...

Since I posted this I don't get peanuts in my box any more! They must have a spy that reads this board!! Identify yourself!!! spy!!! lol :P

I have also noticed a few other things relative to thier shipping materials. When i pick up orders I end up with a box that is waaaay bigger than needed. I can stop by on my way to work so I place small orders frequently. Even if I have only ordered a few soap colorants and a few lbs of soap out comes the dude with a big 'ol heavy duty brown shipping box half full of peanuts. So when I pick up and am getting a nice box and some peanuts for free. So right there costs are going up. I would be happy with a generic shopping bag. They just don't know what they are doing with shipping! The don't realize that it would make the customers happy to offer USPS shipping and the boxes would then be free, which would inturn cut thier costs.

I ordered 16oz sq mason jars through them. They are the only ones that I know of that carry these jars (if anyone knows of some other supplier please let me know). My shipping on a $75.00 order was over $90.00. I really wanted these jars!!! I have to agree with the overall opinion that their shipping is outragous!!!:sad2:

I bought an FO lot from ebay that contained some of their oils. I was impressed with them, and wanted to order some other things and finally did. I ordered a slab of wax, 2 2 oz oils, 2 pks of lapels, 4 bottles of coloring and some wicks. Shipping came to 9.52.

I don't get to excited on the shipping fees. Yes they are expensive. With my current position in logistics and traffic for my normal job I see all different types. Shipping costs alone have gone up from 5% to 30% just in the last year for the company that I work for. That is why businesses are willing to charge less or more depending on that particular companies policy. That is also why as a consumer or businessperson you learn how to factor in the costs. As a business we all have to either pass on the cost or eat it. We may not like it but it is out there. Isn't it great being a candle maker???? :)