Wicks coming loose from tabs?

Has anyone had trouble with the wicks coming loose from the tabs? Do you crimp them all better when you receive your wicks? I have noticed wandering wicks lately, but the tab is still adhered to the center of the jar. Meaning only the wick moved? I have had a problem when I am wicking jars too. I switched from hot glue to silicone to try to address the issue, but wondered if this had ever happened to anyone else.

That has only happened to me once in all my years of pouring candles ... the whole batch of wicks were like that ... the wicks kept coming loose from the tabs. I don't buy wicks from that supplier anymore. It was about 3-4 years ago, so the problem is probably fixed. I buy my wicks from The Candle Source, and I've never had a problem with them.

I hate to bad mouth a good supplier, but mine are from BCN. Never had a problem until these last batches. Guess I will be crimping too. I thought that once it was glued to the bottom it would stay in the tab, since the wick goes the whole way through to the bottom. Do they make a special tool for this or are pliers okay?

I learned a long time ago to crimp. I had the jars all ready to pour the wax and one of the wicks came loose from the wick bar. When I pulled it straight to attach it back to the wick bar it pulled right out of the tab. Not just one jar, but 5 jars! When I called the supplier they suggested crimping.

I learned to do this no matter who the supplier is. I use silicone to attach the wicks, and it's not easy to get the tab out of the jar, when you use silicone!

I am having this problem with a batch of 1000 lx8 I got from Candles and Supplies. I am re-crimping them with needle nose pliers. I can't imagine what tool would be easier than that but I am open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas.

I have an old pair of wire cutters that I'm using. I don't know how sharp they are....it's a pretty old rusted pair. It works great! I'm always reusing left over wicks and tabbing them myself and this is how

I do it. Just don't crimp too hard. HTH!

Here is what mine looks like...only rusty LOL. Works great!

post-10297-139458469264_thumb.jpg

Edited by debratant

I have recently had that problem too. Mainly when I am pulling them tight is when they come out of the tabs. I find the ones that I make myself with left over wicks and tabs do much better.

I also use a pair of wire cutters. Mainly because it's what I had handy and it works.

Thanks for the info. I will start crimping them. Just another step, lol! Does anyone know if they make a specific tool useful for this? Something that makes it easier than pliers.

A jewelry crimping tool works really well. I had a batch of 1000 do that. So I called the company and argued with them that they should have been crimped tight. I would have tabbed them myself but paid to have them do it. I was lucky and they sent a new batch. I have ordered many 1000's and it only happened one time.

A jewelry crimping tool works really well. I had a batch of 1000 do that. So I called the company and argued with them that they should have been crimped tight. I would have tabbed them myself but paid to have them do it. I was lucky and they sent a new batch. I have ordered many 1000's and it only happened one time.

Yep.. I am with Sharon, send them back, especially if you ordered 1000!

You paid for them to be secured. You should not have to crimp every wick. That is unacceptable IMO.

If it's only a few, crimp away!! Would not be worth your time arguing with them. They are stinkers when it comes to returns!! LOL

I order thousands of wicks from http://www.candlewic.com/candle-wicks/default.asp?title=Candle%20Wicks never once have I had to crimp one wick.. Check them out!!!

Edited by islandgirl

Thanks for the tip about the jewelry crimpers! I will try to find one. Islandgirl-I think it may be time for me to try a new suppplier for wicks. I get my wax from Candlewic so that's a great option for me. I am having problems with several sizes of wicks from my current supplier...not just one bag. I hate to retest but I want a safe candle.

I always get my wicks from CS but they don't carry the lx8 anymore so I got a bunch from Candles and Supplies. In all my years of making candles, I've never had a problem before. I was actually shocked when it happened because it never occurred to me that it would. But its just easier to recrimp them than to take the time to argue, unfortunately. I will probably send an email to C&S because I think they should know but I'm not up for a battle. I hate to change suppliers for those wicks again because I just had to retest all of my scents for these wicks. Never ends, does it?

I always get my wicks from CS but they don't carry the lx8 anymore so I got a bunch from Candles and Supplies. In all my years of making candles, I've never had a problem before. I was actually shocked when it happened because it never occurred to me that it would. But its just easier to recrimp them than to take the time to argue, unfortunately. I will probably send an email to C&S because I think they should know but I'm not up for a battle. I hate to change suppliers for those wicks again because I just had to retest all of my scents for these wicks. Never ends, does it?

I wouldn't give up on C&S. I also buy my wicks from them when CS doesn't have what I want. I've been using them for wicks for years and had no problems. I think its probably just this batch you have. Call them and tell them about the problem. They may send you another batch to replace those.

I have been having this same problem. I did call my supplier a few weeks ago to report this problem with them since on their website it says "they dont come off".. I told them that the wicks ARE coming off the tabs... their response to me was, be careful when pouring and straightening the wicks, and they have not seen this happen from anyone else sooo.... needless to say, I have switched suppliers for my wicks now and am re-testing everything again. I may try candlewic since you all seem to like them...

Thanks,

Jennifer

We also ran into this with an order of 1,000 wicks - and I was NOT a happy camper...lol

I did buy a pair of needle-nose pliers (which I agree is not the best idea - tends to bend the tab), but I don't think I should have to pay for tabbed wicks if they don't work! Luckily, instead of having a whole batch misbehave, I only have an occasional one pop out of the wick. I can certainly understand the occasional one, but when you start having to redo several batches at a time, it can get very frustrating.

I was talking about BCN being stinkers about returns when Jennyjo said she was having problems with wicks she got from them. Returning anything to them is a nightmare..They always say " This is the first we heard of this problem, or no one else has complained..blah, blah, blah......." :tiptoe:

C&S - I had a problem with shipping issues a few years back and Cindy the owner was very helpful. You can always call and ask.. Sounds like the crimping machine there needs to have it's screw tightened.