Be Careful When You Buy Lye

bugtussle

We really got some bad Rooto lye. It must not have been 100% lye. We made a batch of Dacquiri in early Jan and some oils separated and pooled in the middle of the log, both top and bottom. You can see on pics the deep ruts.

For the heck of it, I drained out the oils and let it start setting up. Most stayed mush. On left is a bar remade 2 wks later with AAA lye. It's beautiful. Just trashed ther bad bars.

This happened with 2 batches before we realized what was going on. The gardenia batch did the same thing, but I cut off the deep dips and let it harden. Wierd soap, way over superfatted. No bubbles and felt like a grease bar. Trashed it too. Carole

post-1266-13945846285_thumb.jpg

I always recommend people buy lye from AAA or The Lye Guy or some other supplier that sells lye specifically for soapmaking. Regardless of what hardware store lye says on the label, 100% lye can be full of junk and impurities when it's just used for unclogging a drain.

I started out using the Roebic lye and would occasionally find blue specks of something in the lye. Thought it was kind of sketchy so quit using it after that. It never gave me any bad batches, just looked, for lack of a better word, impure.

Yep, and Red Devil lye before that. I guess this Rooto problem is just plain bad luck. :(

yeah I've used Rooto for years without a problem, but the cost is whats driving me to start buing 50# bags.

How do you guys store your 50#'s of lye? I was thinking plastic buckets but I'm worried about moisture.

If you live in a dry climate, you won't have too many issues by storing your lye in buckets. I store my lye in buckets both at work and at home. Naturally, I use more lye at work, but my bucket at home doesn't have any issues either. I occasionally get clumps, but those are easy to break up and they can be there when I first open the bag.

Andee

blog.thesage.com

PS I've also talked to people who live in humid climates and they don't have any issues with storing in buckets either.

Edited by Andee
Another thought

I recently had to purchase lye elsewhere since I had been using Roebic before. I got some from the lye guy recently. My only issue is static. Anyone have tips for that? The beads kinda go all over my countertop while pouring into my container to measure. Didn't have that problem before...

1. don't pour into a plastic container

2. wipe the outside and lid of the lye bottle with a fabric softener sheet before you open it. then give it a good sharp rap on the counter top (while still tightly closed).

3. wipe inside the lye bottle with the fabric softener sheet

4. I work on a terry towel when messing about with lye. I set my balance on top of a small board and put that on the towel. any escaping lye gets trapped in the loops, so I can then bundle it up and toss it into the washing machine.

Great tips! Thanks.

1. don't pour into a plastic container

2. wipe the outside and lid of the lye bottle with a fabric softener sheet before you open it. then give it a good sharp rap on the counter top (while still tightly closed).

3. wipe inside the lye bottle with the fabric softener sheet

4. I work on a terry towel when messing about with lye. I set my balance on top of a small board and put that on the towel. any escaping lye gets trapped in the loops, so I can then bundle it up and toss it into the washing machine.

• 3 weeks later...

yup...I just got some of the bum batch of Rooto lye..I was down to the last of my older Rooto soo I went to the store and bought more bottles..

I have been going between both the new and old ones..and have NOW exclusively used the new one and have had 3 batches fail..grrr!!

same recipes I have been using for years,checked my scale as I do before EVERY batch..soo bummed..

off to do some internet lye shopping :)

Edited by smittenheart

My price on my lye was good. I only got one bag (50lbs) but when I get around to dividing it up. I will have some up for sale in the classy's if anyone needs!!!

I will sell for $1 a pound plus shipping.