Wax slabs

Hey all!

I'm kinda new to candle-making, but still have a few dozen under my belt. Mostly I've been working on votives, but have made a few pillars (with varying degrees of success).

Now that I'm getting into making more, I'm trying to figure out a good way to break up these 10-lb slabs of wax. What I'd like to do is find some way to easily measure out 1-lb or 2-lb sections; I've thought of shredding it, but standing there with a grater for hours just isn't appealing. Melting it and pouring it into a glass measuring cup is another idea I had, but I'm not sure the volume-to-weight ratio would be consistent.

(Note: I am a bit of a nerd. You may have already figured this out.)

What I'm doing now is, I think, the traditional method; breaking it up into chunks with a hammer and putting bits on a scale and taking them off until you get close enough to 1 lb. It makes a bit of a mess, though, and I can't help but think there must be a more efficient way.

Am I overthinking it? Am I completely off-base? Am I asking the same questions that thousands of other newbies have asked through the millenia?

Anyway, thanks for reading my little rant/question/introduction. :cheesy2:

The easiest way to break up the slabs is to place them in a couple of heavy duty plastic bags and drop them on the cement a few times. Works like a charm.

I use a bit softer paraffin container wax. I put mine into the freezer overnight and then slam it on the stair or a curb. Hunks in one bag - smaller bits in another. If you start by breaking it lengthwise your arm gets "calibrated" to smack off 1# chunks.

Unorthodox method - but it does work - and isn't labor intensive.

Here is what I do to break up a slab of wax. Using a nail make scorelines in the wax slab in 5 equal parts. Be sure the scoreline is about 1/8" to 1/4" deep. Take two 3 foot sections of 2x4 and place one of the boards under the wax and directly below the scoreline. Using the second board place it on top of the slab just above the scoreline. It should look as though the two boards would be side by side if not for the wax in between them. Take a hammer and give the top board a good wack. Do this at each scoreline. Most times I get a good break and end up with roughly 2 lbs sections. I hth.

Edited by burnt_fingers

For hard wax I use a hammer. Since I've got the presto pots and weighed after I poured naked wax, it wasn't an issue (being close to a pound). You can do it that way -- melt and then pour into your pitcher and weigh after. Would that work for you?

For the softer waxes, I heat my knife with a heat gun and cut through it like butter. Works a lot better in summer, though.

Well you can always just heat several chunks and pour into your pouring pot only what you need. If there is any wax left in your melting pot let it cool and reuse it next time you make candles.

BTW I use the hammer method too but quit trying to figure out the weight by trying different chunks on my scale. Its just easier to melt them and then weigh the wax in your pouring pot.

I just can't get that complicated with my slabs. I just go with the ol' hammer and weigh the chunks. You can get it exact but just using the small bits to get it where it needs to be.

And like sara I also melt it in the presto and weigh it in the pour pot when it's liquid.

We store our wax in a Rubbermaid tub. With the hard wax, I just keep setting slabs at angles and hit with a hammer. A great job for teenagers with anger issues....lol :wink2:

With the soft wax, we buy the metal kitchen "scrapers" and cut through it. Works pretty good with the wax and my business partner used that tool with the melt and pour soap.

A few years ago i was able to buy [what i call] brick [wax] molds of which i have about 20. Ea brick of wax weighs a lb. I then store the bricks in rinsed out kitty litter bins. I love being able to pull out however many 1lb bricks i need.

Sadly, the place i bought them is out of business, but i wonder if there r other places that might have them available. I can tell u Peaks does not. :sad2:

A few years ago i was able to buy [what i call] brick [wax] molds of which i have about 20. Ea brick of wax weighs a lb. I then store the bricks in rinsed out kitty litter bins. I love being able to pull out however many 1lb bricks i need.

Sadly, the place i bought them is out of business, but i wonder if there r other places that might have them available. I can tell u Peaks does not. :sad2:

I bet you're talking about Pourette. I got some of those from them.