Presto Pot Users

I added a spigot to mine. As far as an easy way to get the wax out without the spigot I have heard some people use a ladle and scoop it out and some people just pick it up by the handles and pour it into their pouring pitcher. I however, am not that talented to not make a mess doing it that way. I love my spigot.

I have spigots on all my Prestos.

It costs a little for the parts, and you need to make sure you follow the directions carefully - especially on the tap size. But in the long run it makes everything go more quickly and less chance of wax spilling or dripping from the ladel. Also, any "trash" that is in the wax settles to the bottom below the spigot opening so it doesn't get into the candles.

Caution: BE SURE to place a container under the spigot to catch any drips from the spigot. Just use a trashed box with a plastic liner for easy clean-up. I know first hand that the box is a life saver if you've left the spigot open and try to melt another batch of wax. :rolleyes2

I have one with and one without. I hardly ever use the spigot. Most of the time, I just pick it up and pour it. Sometimes I use a ladle. However, I also use a turkey fryer when I'm doing a lot of pouring. So if I didn't have the turkey fryer, I might use the spigot on the presto more. I would recommend that you give it a try without. You can always add it later if you think you need it.

My Presto is w/o the spigot. I put a few layers of newspaper in my sink and pour the wax into the pot. I've never spilled anything but feel it's best to be safe.

I do have a turkey fryer and am not crazy about it because I prefer to mix everything in the Presto first. I know it takes a little longer in clean-up but that's what I do.

LOL ok so mine is without the spigot but its purely out of laziness on hubby's part. We have ALL the supplies, he just hasnt done it yet.. so I've been pouring it for 6 months right out of the pot and its worked fine. I think a spigot would be nice but then again I work in 2-4 pound batches at a time so in the time that I wait for it to pour out I could have already dumped it into the pouring pot, you know? :laugh2:

We were in Harbor Freight yesterday and there were big badboy spigots that had to be at least 1" wide and I kept holding them thinking... these, plus a turkey fryer... oooooh the possibilities. LOL, oh the twisted mind of a candle and soap maker. Everything is either a mold or a tool to us!

I will install a spigot on one of my Pestos someday because it would make things soooo much neater. But until then, I use a ladle to transfer the melted wax in the Presto to the pour pots. I hold the pour pot over the Presto so any sloppage (does the NFL have a copyright on that word, too?) goes in the Presto instead of all over the place. I wait until I have almost as much as I need to put the pour pot back on the scale so all I have to do is top it off to get an accurate measurement.

Now if and when I install my spigot, the damned thing LEAKS, then I'll consider it a lesson learned and not mess up the others... ;)

Edited by Stella1952

Thanks for the replies. If I get the Presto pot I think I will add a spigot. I know I read somewhere the instructions on how to install one. Does anyone have that link they can share?

Never mind I found it. Just in case anyone would like the link, here it is. http://www.candletech.com/general-information/do-it-yourself-wax-melter/

Edited by burnt_fingers

Instead of buying a presto pot, buy a turkey fryer with a spigot already attached.

I bought mine from Dick's Sporting goods for about $119 & I was able to use coupons to make it even cheaper.

You just have to melt the wax in pouring pots and pour over the heating coils prior to the frst use or else you could start a fryer. Then you fill it up with wax and it takes about 30 minutes to melt and then you are all set to make candles....it has been a BIG time saver.:yay:

If you search turkey fryer in this forum you will get alot of info on it.

Love it!

If you aren't making that much at a time then the Presto is great. It holds about 8 lbs of wax. I have 4 Presto's and just had to buy one with a spigot but found I really didn't like it. #1 it doesn't pour out as fast as I like and I have turned away, just for a second, wax all over. #2 it has to be sitting on something higher so your item will go under, then you have to have something to stand on so you can reach or see into your pot, that was a problem for me.

I have a 1 quart (small) cheapo sauce pan I use for ladling wax into my mixing pitcher. It works great and faster for me. I do make a mess but I really don't think anything can stop me for being a total disaster.

I bought mine on E-bay from a very well referred to lady whose husband installs the spigots and she sells them. I love it!! The only mess is from the drips that will occur after I pour some off.

The spigot is about 1/2" up from the bottom and so any sediment that might be in the way, (usually a little from the boxes) settles to the bottom and never makes it into my candles.

HTH

I think the presto pot is the way to go for my needs. Melting 5 pounds or less of wax is the most I'll need to keep my wife and family members in candles. Making candles for my wife earns me points. They added up quickly and last week she gave me the go ahead to buy a new fly rod. :yay:

I can get 9# in mine, but it ain't easy. The first 7# go in first and fill it to the top (I crunch the flakes down as I add it); but when it melts, it'll hold another 2# and still be about 1" from the top... :shocked2::tiptoe:

If any of you tend to stir too hard and fast, filling the pot that high'll cure you!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I can get 9# in mine, but it ain't easy. The first 7# go in first and fill it to the top (I crunch the flakes down as I add it); but when it melts, it'll hold another 2# and still be about 1" from the top... :shocked2::tiptoe:

I got 10 lbs in mine this morning, but it was up to the rim. Ya had to stir reeaaallll slow!!

I have two right now. One with and without the spigot.

My stepfather modified my first one going by the direction here on CT. I tape a piece of wax paper to the floor to catch the occasional drips.

The one without a spigot I put my 4lb pour pot right into it to mix my color and scent and keep it melted between pours. One of these days I'm going to get a presto griddle for that but the presto I got for $1 at a yard sale works fine for now.

Well my DH just pour spout on one of mine today. Can't say I'm crazy about it. Maybe after I get better at guessing the wax weight it'll get better. Previously I put my pour pot on the scale and dipped my wax until I had the amount I needed. Now I'm filling partially with the pour spout and finish topping it off with the pour pot on the scale by dipping. I should probably mark the insides of the pour pots.

Like I said before, I use the turkey fryer and I am able to fill it with alot of wax ???10-20lbs and while I am making candles, if I think I need more wax, I just add it and it melts in a matter of 5-10min.

I purchased clear glass automatic coffee carafes(at salvation army) and marked my own measurements on the outside with a permanent marker.

I put the turkey fryer on an old wooden desk and I put paper on the floor. Very easy especially with the clear glass carafes.

Give me the spigot all the way!! I just leave an old towel on the floor under it to catch any drips. I didn't find that I needed a stand to put it on. I just leave it pushed toward the back of the counter while melting then pull it up to the edge with the spigot hanging out over the edge to pour & hold the pour pot under it (after weighing). I do not mixing anything into the presto. I wait and add everything to the melted wax once it makes it is in the pour pot. I have one for my container wax and one for my pillar wax. I used to have a couple of extras without the spigot to use as back ups if and died or if I had to produce a ton at one time but I have since purchased a commercial melter.

That said, I DO have one presto without a spigot that I use as my double boiler to remelt the scented/colored wax for repours or to melt the new wax if I am only doing a 1-2 lb batch so I don't have to wait for all 8 lbs to melt.