Presto Pot Users

LOL ok so mine is without the spigot but its purely out of laziness on hubby's part. We have ALL the supplies, he just hasnt done it yet..

It IS possible for u to add ur own spigot --- to hell w/ the lazy husband!!! lol. I added the spigots to both of my prestos.

A lot of times i'll just pour the wax into my pour pitcher or heavy duty 4cup measuring cups. However, the other day, i spilled quite a bit pouring, so i went back to the spigot. lol.

Don't remember now who said it, but thanks for the tip about a box w/ plastic lining under the spigot. I've made the mistake ONCE [knock on wood that i'll only do it once] of melting w/ an open spigot. YIKES!!!

The first time I used mine (self installed spigot) I turned it on, added wax and waited a few minutes until the wax melted.........Turned my head for a second and the wax was pouring all over my kitchen floor (hardwood).............Never thought about the spigot being in the open position! What a bloody mess! 1st and last time I ever did that! Love the spigot once I leaned open vs. closed!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I use 2 Presto pots. I do not have the spigot. I don't do much in big batches. I keep it under 3 pounds which is about what I can handle in a pouring pot without getting too messy. I was going to add a spigot but got so use to pouring straight out of the pot that I gave up on the idea. I add fragrance after I pour the melted wax into the container. I guess my suggestion would be try it without the spigot then if you still think you would like it better with it, then you haven't lost anything! :yay:

I finally got around to buying a Presto pot. Works great! For now I just pour directly from the pp into a pitcher then add color and scent. While pouring from the pp to a pitcher is fine, I think for me a spigot would be best. To play it safe I will use a bucket under the spigot just in case.

I would love the ease of a Presto Pot and spigot. Or anything with a spigot! I'm not sure where to get something like that here in Western Australia but I'll look around.

But I have a question. Do you think using a spigot adds air to the wax? I've been struggling with air bubbles in my candles, and my current method is to use a pour pot in a stock pot of water. I know I still need to tweak my methods but I was wondering if the spigot might add to my problem.

I would love the ease of a Presto Pot and spigot. Or anything with a spigot! I'm not sure where to get something like that here in Western Australia but I'll look around.

But I have a question. Do you think using a spigot adds air to the wax? I've been struggling with air bubbles in my candles, and my current method is to use a pour pot in a stock pot of water. I know I still need to tweak my methods but I was wondering if the spigot might add to my problem.

There are instructions out there on how to put the spigot in yourself. I bought mine off E-bay with the spigot already there, but I have read where others have put their own in.

And I don't think there would be as many of us using them if there were a problem.
I'm sorry if my question implied that spigot-users were blindly causing more problems for themselves. I'm a newbie and there's a lot I don't know, so I was somewhat expecting a response like, "yes, it does add some air but we make up for it with extended curing," or something else I don't know about yet. It's good to hear you aren't having problems, and thanks for your response.

And I guess I should clarify the kind of bubbles I'm having trouble with are the tiny tiny ones that gather around the wick. Seems they bubble up once I light the wick and cause it to extinguish or burn low. But I'll save that question for another thread.

There are instructions out there on how to put the spigot in yourself. I bought mine off E-bay with the spigot already there, but I have read where others have put their own in.
Thank you CandleMama! My problem is I live in Australia and we have a different electricity system than back in the U.S. So I don't know if the Presto Pot would work here. I've looked for similiar things here but I can't find anything that has the dial with the temperatures marked on it.

Hiya Jonsie I have a Sunbeam Multi cooker. Its basically the same thing. I got mine at The Good Guys (dunno if they in WA) but any electrical place should have cost about $69. Hope that helps you. If you look on the Natural Candle Supply site at the Equipment you can see it but dont buy from them cos they $20 more than you can get for cash at other places

Tammy

I bought mine on E-bay from a very well referred to lady whose husband installs the spigots and she sells them. I love it!! The only mess is from the drips that will occur after I pour some off.

The spigot is about 1/2" up from the bottom and so any sediment that might be in the way, (usually a little from the boxes) settles to the bottom and never makes it into my candles.

HTH

Hey there CandleMama! Would you PM me with the lady you got yours from on Ebay? I've found two that sell for the same price, but would prefer a "referred" person LOL... My hubby is willing to do it for me, in fact would insist, but I can't find a big enough presto pot in the town I'm in, and so if I have to order it online, may as well order it complete already. :) TIA!!!