Liquid Dye: Odor Concerns

Asher

My package from Peaks arrived yesterday. Among its contents was a container of blue liquid dye. Having never used liquid dye before I wanted to see how it compared to dye chips. Well, it certainly gives me better control than the chips, and overall I'm guessing it's more economical.

My concern revolves around the strong chemical odor of the dye. I know we're only talking about a few drops in a pound of wax, but is this enough to alter the candle fragrance? Is there such a thing as odorless candle dye?

Thanks again :cool2:

It doesn't affect the candle as far as I can tell, even when I've used a heavy for me 12 drops per pound.

You can test it yourself - make a small candle w/ FO with the dye, and one without dye. Close your eyes and see if you can tell. You have to close your eyes cuz if you see color, your sense of smell will seem to change.

I've been told that some do get a fuel smell. Red seems to be one of them for me. It may have to do with using a large amount to get a deep color. Personally I don't smell when the candle is scented, but some do. As in the peppermint votives I sent for the fall swap. Most only smelled the peppermint, but there were a couple people who smelled fuel. I suspect it may have to do with how sensative certain noses are to certain smells. Just like some people can't smell a particular FO at all. My mom is one of those, she can't smell Love Spell in any candle. Dunno if this helps or not...lol

I've heard about this "fuel" smell in different contexts. There are times I'll notice a certain "mystery" smell with my candles, though I wouldn't categorize it as a "fuel" smell. It does make the fragrance oil smell less pure, though (unless the fragrance oil itself is to blame). Of course, in the few times I've used vanilla fragrance chips I seem to always get this mystery smell.

The liquid dye has a strong chemical smell, but it didn't appear to affect the strong blueberry oil I used last night.

Does this "fuel" smell resmeble burning kerosene or paraffin oil? Is it noticeable when the candle is cold, lit, or both?

I exclusively use the liquid dyes from Peak, love 'em!! :)

Yes, they DO stink when you're using them, but I've never ever noticed a smell in the finished candle at all. When mixing it in though, I often wonder where does that smell go? How does it dissipate (sp?), b/c it IS sooo strong at times (depending on how much I use).

The only candle I seem to get a fuel smell from is when I make Peak's apple jack & peel, and I DO color it quite a dark red, so who knows whether it's the FO or maybe the dye, never thought about it, but no one else seems to notice it other than me, so ?????? LOL

HTH ya a bit. ;)

I've got a bottle of black liquid dye that stinks really bad OOB but haven't noticed any bad smell in the wax probably cause of the small amount used.

When I first started making candles, I was buying scrap wax from local candle factory that was already colored and scented and if I heated it too long the fragrance would burn off and leave that nasty fuel smell.

• 1 month later...

it stinks because it's bad for your health...

I don't get people who use soy, but then put liquid dye or especially fragrance oils (non-essential) in it... have you seen a list of what those things contain, geez...

I don't get people who use paraffin at all... benzene and all...

(sorry, it just irks me and I have to say it once in a while :sad2:)

*picks up a shield and goes into hiding*

The Eco Dyes that you can get through Northstar are supposed to not smell bad and also have less harmful ingredients in them, quote from their site:

"Highly concentrated, environmentally friendly and virtually Odorless Liquid Dyes for candle making. These Eco Dyes were designed for Soy, Natural waxes and will work for paraffin waxes too. The process used to make these dyes helps to ensure that they won’t separate from the wax, ensuring complete solubility in your candle wax blend. These dyes are about 50% stronger than most standard liquid dyes. Also they are formulated with environmentally friendly ingredients. The dyes don’t contain any hazardous solvents, with no hazardous fumes and air pollutants. You can achieve sharp, bright and clean looking colors. This dye is slightly thicker than most liquid dyes which makes the dye easier to handle. The flash point is greater than 300 °F. Each size comes in an amber bottle with dropper."

Any opinions about those?

Laura :)

I don't get people who use soy, but then put liquid dye or especially fragrance oils (non-essential) in it... have you seen a list of what those things contain, geez...

Yeah well as a paraffin user, I can't stand soy, unless made by select individuals. Otherwise I spend the day sneezing and eyes watering. So get over it. Each to his/her own. Besides there's nothing natural about the processing to make soy wax either.

There has always been this discussion between soy and parrafin, etc.... fo's essential oils. Here is how I look at it, I myself as a candle b and b maker, know that people make decisions about what they are willing to have around them , eat, whether they smoke,etc.... I have been on sites that tout all natural ingredient's and still have parabens in their lotions. The fact of the matter is that no matter what you choose, there is always heath risks, but I cannot imagine my life without candles , lotions, handmade soaps etc... There are dyes in the foods we eat, they probably smell also when you put them into the products. Fo's are synthectic, some essential oils are dangerous to use under certain circumstances, so I as a manufacturer so to say, try to make a safe, great smelling, moisturizing product, with the least amount of risk to myself, my animals, and my customers. This is the best we can do. Often times what the larger companies say about their products are half truths or out and out lies, I went to a health food store a month ago to look around and they were sell the B@@@'s Bee products, this company touts all natural and yet they have been sued a number of times for false advertising.

And I don't get closed minded people. You choose soy, I choose paraffin. You want to be a natural nut, good for you. I want to drink, smoke and eat Big Macs while burning FO scented paraffin candles with zinc wicks, good for me.

Curious, why do you even come here if you dont "get" us?

Trish, you're a better woman than I. I couldn't pass it up ;)

Haha I'm bad....

I use stinky fragrance oils, reeeeeelly stinky liq. dyes,

All kinds of wax. All kinds of wick.

Hmmm how bad does that make me?

oh and I luv whoppers, Double whopper with cheese pleeeez:D

Hey, To each his own.....

Don't worry bout what the other guy uses.

Hey Satin, pass me a smoke would ya?

Here is an excerpt from my my daughter's notes for a biology project she is doing on soybeans.

Soybean oil extraction is performed on a large scale in the US. The soybeans are cracked, adjusted for moisture content, rolled into flakes and solvent extracted with commercial hexane. The oils are blended for their applications or hydrogenated. The oil is partially hydrogenated into shortening or more fully hydrogenated into soy wax using a catalyst, Nickel being the most economical and common catalyst.

Currently 80% of all soybeans cultivated for the commercial market are genetically modified. About 10 years ago Monsanto introduced "Roundup Ready" soybeans that have a complete copy of a gene from the bacteria Agrobacterium sp. Straom CP4, inserted by means of a gene gun, into it's genome that allows the transgenic plant to survive being sprayed by this non selective herbicide.

Doesn't sound too natural to me...someone pass the Benzene please.

hmmm I must have missed alot here and dont know if I wanna say anything,,Just Kidding!!!!! I am a paraffin addict!!!:P I WAS going to ask about my liquid dye I bought from BCN,,Hot Pink/Pink and it smells like Cinnamon to me,,,OH MY,,,,my senses must be on the wacky side here. Anyway,,,it doesnt have how much to use so I was HOPING someone could give me an instruct please??? THANKS