Coconut oil in a parasoy blend

I know there has been talk lately about using coconut oil in a parasoy blend. Well, I tried it yesterday and so far my candles look fabulous! I poured two jars, one to burn and one to set aside and see how it looks in a week, two weeks, etc. I poured them 24 hours ago, and both have 100% adhesion. I used 2 tsp coconut oil in an 85/15 mix of J223 and 464. I am going to start burning one candle today. Will report back in later!

Jenn

Hi everyone...

Yes the mix was 85% J223 and 15% 464.

I did not warm the jars. I absolutely detest warming jars!! Mostly because I have this antiquated, tiny little old wall oven that doesn't heat below 200*. I poured hotter than my normal pour temp of 155...I did it about 175. I may pour a few more today, trying 1 tsp CO pp and maybe try pouring one at 175 and one at 155 to see if there is any difference.

I use 6006 straight..no add'l soy added...do you think 1 tsp per pound of CO would help my HT? I can't seem to get my HT strong no matter what wicks or FO I test. So far CD's seem to work the best and would like to stay with them. I heat to 190, add dye mix well then add FO (1.4 oz/lb). Pour at 180.

Karen

Well, candle sure does look great but not an overly impressive throw. it's only been a day, but this is Amish harvest. I think the throw is less in this tester than it was without the CO (I think). Maybe 2 tsp pp was too much? The candle does appear to be burning differently, but I will give it more time. Two burns and no soot and no smoking. Still adhering pretty darn well. I am going to continue to test this candle, and I am going to pout more with 1 tsp CO. If 1 tsp gave the same adhesion but helped the throw, that would be great!

Can too much CO bind the FO, like too much vybar would?

Update - wet spots VERY SLOWLY appearing on the bottom of the jar that I have not burned. The one I have burned looks great still. I will say, though, that the wet spots don't look as bad as straight J223. Sometimes those darn 223 wet spots look like craters or a big ol' bubble.

Still think my next step is to try it at 1tsp pp and see if I can get good adhesion and better wicking/throw.

I actually find that using CO reduces soot. I have no wet spots either, but it's pretty warm around here. I use 1 oz. CO to 10oz. of my parasoy blend. (Oh, I can hear the gasps now). Anything less, for me, doesn't do much for the scent throw, and believe it or not, it tames (lack of a better word) the wax. I don't like the Walmart one - I get CO through a supplier. I did do a C3/CO combo at 80/20 and as soon as it set up, the scent throw was unbelievable with absolutely no frosting. (a little bit after the first burn though). I got bored and went back to my mixology, and I think I like what I have now. But....that can change.

I'd be really interested in this new blend too, Brad. I'm probably going to need to order another pallet of wax in the next few months so hopefully it's available and I can test it before I have to reorder!

Where have you been? I have tried calling you for months!

Brad, what made you guys think there was anything to improving scent throw in wax by adding coconut oil? There are so many opinions here contrary to it that I'm curious what actually spurred your thinking it was worth putting money into it to develop it. There's a difference between us little guys tinkering with it and you big experts actually taking enough interest in it to throw some R&D at it. :D

Where have you been? I have tried calling you for months!

I'm sorry! I think you called/emailed when I was on vacation then I forgot to call you back! My busy season has started and I'm expecting to order soon but am hoping to wait long enough to see this new wax!!

Brad, what made you guys think there was anything to improving scent throw in wax by adding coconut oil? There are so many opinions here contrary to it that I'm curious what actually spurred your thinking it was worth putting money into it to develop it. There's a difference between us little guys tinkering with it and you big experts actually taking enough interest in it to throw some R&D at it. :D

We have added CO to proprietary blends for years. I can't say that scent throw was the only reason for its inclusion. It is believed to benefit overall burn quality - scent throw being a component of the burn quality. The degree of improvement is strictly subjective - there are too many variables to state as fact.

The limited feedback is positive so far.